Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Monte Cox "I'm not counting on that fight happening(Fedor vs Couture)

Print  
Posted By Message

Bemin

Touch gloves, and good fight!

Bemin Avatar

Career:140-118
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
The President of M-1 Global Monte Cox talks about the future of his organization and gives an update on several of the fighters he manages.

Link

Post #1   1/21/08 3:01:06PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,456-844
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
He had some very interesting things to say.
I like his approach about signing fighters.Instead of just going after who the UFC lets go,or might potentialy let go,he talks about getting newer talent that other promotions want.I really believe their are just some fighters that aren't going to jump ship,and Cox seems to understand this.Bodog offered Matt Hughes a 1 million dollar contract and he declined.While I don't know how much he makes in the UFC,I'm willing to bet Bodog damn near matched it,or went over it with that bid.

With that point though,I think their still going to need a few more big names to really become a contender.Sure they got the guy who is widely considered the best heavy weight in the world,and they might have some great talent,but to attract the masses I believe they're gonna need a few more fighters with some name power behind them.I think M-1 has the potential to be considered the next big organization in MMA.They just need to play their cards right.

Post #2   1/21/08 3:56:05PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
Every org starts w/ noone. Pride had a cpl ex ufc guys help w/ name recognition, but for the most part built a stable that was considered by most to outclass what the UFC was doing. Time is an essential thing needed to build an org. Most don't make it cuz the money guys don't give it time.

Post #3   1/21/08 10:05:38PM   

ThePlague

O&A party rock

ThePlague Avatar

Career:1,385-791
Chips:
Sure they got the guy who is widely considered the best heavy weight in the world

I may be wrong, but this interview was in January and Fedor has since jumped ship and become a free agent.

Post #4   3/16/08 10:53:18PM