Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Mike Swick vs. Josh Burkman

Print  
Who will win?
Burkman KO 3 7%
Burkman Sub 0 0%
Burkman Decision 9 20%
Swick KO 22 48%
Swick Sub 6 13%
Swick Decision 6 13%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
Why isn't this fight getting much attention? Am I the only one who thinks this could be Fight Of The Year for 2008? I nearly pooped myself when I saw this fight was announced a few months back.

There both exciting fighters. Burkman is one of the most exciting and best GNP wrestlers out there with exciting slams and actual GNP. He can also handle his own on the feet and is always exciting with great fights. His only issue is his gas tank. Mike Swick is great on the feet with good KO power and is a fairly good wrestler but IMO should not be at 170 where there are more elite wrestlers, nevertheless the fight is going to happen.

Who do guys think will win? I lost all my money on betting the underdogs for UFC 80 and all my money is on Josh Burkman because I really think he can win. I think it will be a fast paced WAR! But I think Burkman will show outwork to win a close hard fought brutal decision.

Thoughts on this fight?

Last edited 1/21/08 2:46PM server time by Natedawgtham
Edit note/reason: change will to was

Post #1   1/21/08 2:45:29PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
mike swick KO first round imo

Post #2   1/21/08 2:47:40PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:
i know im in the minority but i really think burkman can grind out a decision. he is the better wrestler and is physically stronger. i think burkman can withstand any punishment swick throws at him and will be able to grind out a decision by putting swick on his back.

Post #3   1/21/08 2:49:12PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:

Posted by nickcuc547

i know im in the minority but i really think burkman can grind out a decision. he is the better wrestler and is physically stronger. i think burkman can withstand any punishment swick throws at him and will be able to grind out a decision by putting swick on his back.

Yeah i think Burkman will stay in swicks guard for most of this fight and do very little but just enough to win decisively.

On a side note: This is Swicks debut at WW i believe. We will get to see how he adjusts to the 15lb weight difference. Im gonna go out on a limb and say he gasses.

Post #4   1/21/08 2:55:31PM   

mk1630

Standup Guy

mk1630 Avatar

Career:382-218
Chips:
I wish Swick would have stayed at '85 but he felt he should move down after only 1 loss. Hes always an entertaining fighter and i hope he gets back to his old self. Im picking Swick for the first round KO, but it could very well go to Burkman.

Post #5   1/21/08 3:03:42PM   

The8One5

Banned

Career:31-17
Chips:
how is it not getting enough attention if its the main event? plus more people watch free ufc events anyway

prediction, i have to go with swick by ko but burkmans chin is no joke and could ride out a decision like okami did so i see it playing out those 2 ways

Post #6   1/21/08 3:07:37PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Chips:
It's not getting enough attention because nobody is talking about it. Yeah it's the main event and they do show that fight preview in the commercials but I'm talking about on here. IMO this will be a sick fight, an all out war. Both go at an extremely fast paced, Burkman usually switches to GNP late in the 2nd and 3rd after he gets tired but I think Swick will make this fight a war with his fast paced but I just see Burkman squeezing out the decision.

Post #7   1/21/08 3:23:18PM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,558-1,362
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
This is a extremely tough fight to call, the wrestling goes to Burkman and Swick is relatively easy to take down, the stand up goes to Swick, submissions go to Swick and so does the cardio. I think that it could go either way, Josh could take him down and keep him down and pound him out because Josh has great control from top position. I see Swick winning by 2 possibilities, he is most likely going to pull guard and submit Josh with the Swickotine tm , or Josh is going to gas in later rounds like he did against Petz and Swick T(KO)'s him on the feet. It's going to be a great fight.

Post #8   1/21/08 3:43:23PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
This card is scaring the hell out of me. i just did very poorly this past event and this one is another card that can set me up for disappointment. i personally am choosing swick by submission only because burkman has had a problem with falling into easy submissions into the past as seen with his fight against fickett. i was close to picking burkman for a decision, but i don't think burkman is as strong as okami so i don't think swick will be out powered in this fight and thus burkman's wrestling imo won't be able to dominate swick by any means plus his performance against petz didn't impress me at all. i see swick pushing the pace, peppering him with stand-up, throwing in a failed guillotine attempt and then when burkman takes him down i see him pulling out a choke of some kind. i see him winning by either a triangle or getting burkman's back and finishing him with a rear naked.

but hey, i mean the fact that i am picking him to win means that burkman is going to win so due to the fact that i am taking swick i would put your money on burkman

Post #9   1/21/08 3:54:17PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

This card is scaring the hell out of me. i just did very poorly this past event and this one is another card that can set me up for disappointment. i personally am choosing swick by submission only because burkman has had a problem with falling into easy submissions into the past as seen with his fight against fickett. i was close to picking burkman for a decision, but i don't think burkman is as strong as okami so i don't think swick will be out powered in this fight and thus burkman's wrestling imo won't be able to dominate swick by any means plus his performance against petz didn't impress me at all. i see swick pushing the pace, peppering him with stand-up, throwing in a failed guillotine attempt and then when burkman takes him down i see him pulling out a choke of some kind. i see him winning by either a triangle or getting burkman's back and finishing him with a rear naked.

but hey, i mean the fact that i am picking him to win means that burkman is going to win so due to the fact that i am taking swick i would put your money on burkman

lol I feel your pain!

Post #10   1/21/08 3:56:35PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
Swick by TKO in round 1 or 2.

Post #11   1/21/08 4:15:31PM   

DBest

Learning to Sprawl

DBest Avatar

Career:850-529
Camp: TKO
Chips:
Swick has great hands. However Burkman has a pretty good chin, I don't see Swick KOing Burkman. Burkman is the better wrestler and will probally take this one to the ground. I see this one going to decision either way. Although I'd give the advantage to Burkman.

Post #12   1/21/08 9:14:20PM   

Mayhem13

MMA Sensei

Mayhem13 Avatar

Career:2,114-1,253
Camp: Team Sakara Eye Punch
Chips:
pretty good fight potential, I think Swick is gonna use is height and strength to his advantage, and end up scoring a TKO in the 2nd

Post #13   1/21/08 10:42:46PM   

Lay_N_Pray

In Full Mount

Lay_N_Pray Avatar

Career:253-130
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
It could be fight of the year candidate but I think Swick ends it to quick for anything to get going. Burkman is going to catch one on the chin about two minutes in and go to sleep.

Swick was fast at 185 and with less weight he will only be quicker. Burkman is the type of fighter who can win decisions. Swick is a knockout or be knocked out type of guy. More often than not, Swick is the guy knocking his opponent out and all signs point to another KO

Post #14   1/21/08 11:45:49PM   

RandyCouture

MMA Regular

RandyCouture Avatar

Career:1,524-786
Chips:
Gotta Go Swick Decision or late tko

Post #15   1/22/08 12:09:53AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2