Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Monday Morning Reverie: Ultimate England

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,018-1,645
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
If I could only use one adjective to describe this past Saturday's UFC, it would be "incredible."

Only one of the televised bouts went the distance, and that fight was exhilarating from beginning to end. Since the event was filled with fights that nearly all ended early and emphatically, Zuffa was able to squeeze in every single off-TV bout save for the Sam Stout - Per Eklund battle.

The story of the night was without question B.J. Penn (Pictures)'s utter domination of Joe Stevenson. It was sheer wizardry: a dazzling array of strikes, agility, athleticism and, of course, magnificent submission prowess.

It wasn't as if Penn fought some stiff that was pulled out of the crowd. Stevenson came into battle as prepared as he ever has been before and made it entertaining. He was able to pull Penn back to guard after "The Prodigy" achieved full mount with grapevines more than once. Even when B.J. dropped "Daddy" with a compact left uppercut seconds into the fight, a woozy and wobbly Stevenson regrouped and made things interesting.

Link

Post #1   1/21/08 8:14:12AM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
It may have been "exhilerating" in the UK AT the event. It was boring on TV. A real waste of money. BUT, it was good to see BJ win.

Post #2   1/21/08 11:11:28AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by EliasG

It may have been "exhilerating" in the UK AT the event. It was boring on TV. A real waste of money. BUT, it was good to see BJ win.

I'm not sure I'd agree with Sloan's characterization of UFC 80 as "incredible", but if you thought it was boring, MMA might not be the sport for you. It was a solid card, with a number of surprises.

Post #3   1/21/08 12:41:19PM   

Hurricaneg

Learning to Sprawl

Hurricaneg Avatar

Career:456-236
Chips:
i wouldn't say it was boring or a waste of money are you sure you were watching ufc 80 ??

Post #4   1/21/08 1:15:48PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,503-1,200
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:
I thought it was very entertaining. But like the article says BJ was comepletly gassed. What was up with that. I thought he changed.

Post #5   1/21/08 2:21:03PM