Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Why isnt Matt Lindland Fighting in UFC/Pride?

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

tomp6581

Standup Guy

tomp6581 Avatar

Career:406-255
Chips:
He is ranked #1 middleweight in the world yet has signed with bodog.....does anyone know why he left ufc?

Thanks.

Post #1   2/15/07 11:37:07AM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:
The official cause was he wore an "unauthorized" sponsor shirt to a weigh-in.

Conspiracy buffs think it was because he was close to a title shot and UFC didn't want a boring champ/they wanted to protect Ace. Only Dana knows I guess

Last edited 2/15/07 11:48AM server time by manfred
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   2/15/07 11:46:55AM   

ffforgottenx

Standup Guy

ffforgottenx Avatar

Career:2,361-1,555
Chips:

Posted by Manfred

The official cause was he wore an "unauthorized" sponsor shirt to a weigh-in.

Conspiracy buffs think it was because he was close to a title shot and UFC didn't want a boring champ/they wanted to protect Ace. Only Dana knows I guess

what he said..

hes now signed to fight 3 fights at heavyweight for bodog, but he is keeping himself open to fight in many organizations.. i think we may see him in PRIDE eventually, but i'm not sure if we will see him back in the UFC or not

Post #3   2/15/07 11:52:13AM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:
Of course, it's easier to promote Jim Carrey than "Sloth" from The Goonies

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1
Photo Attachment 2
Photo Attachment 3
Photo Attachment 4

Post #4   2/15/07 11:55:10AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by tomp6581

He is ranked #1 middleweight in the world yet[...]

I disagree with your premise.

Post #5   2/15/07 12:08:10PM   

tomp6581

Standup Guy

tomp6581 Avatar

Career:406-255
Chips:
I didn't just make it up.....

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/topten.asp?articleid=14&zoneid=15

Post #6   2/15/07 12:38:00PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by tomp6581

I didn't just make it up.....

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/topten.asp?articleid=14&zoneid=15

I know. I think they need to put the pipe down, too.

Post #7   2/15/07 1:32:57PM   

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Career:552-270
Chips:

Posted by Manfred

Holy crap Franklin looks just like Jim Carrey lol

Post #8   2/15/07 1:39:46PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,902-1,070
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I rank Lindland #1 also, but I will be changing that in the next 6 months if he doesn't start fighting ranked middleweight's. Last one he fought was Horn. Losing to a bunch of LHVY's and HVY's will just prove he should go back to middleweight IMO. I understand he wants to make money, but if he really does fight all 3 Bodog fight's at heavyweight he is making a huge career mistake IMO. Fedor, Alek's, and Monson( only 3 HVY's I've heard them signing would all overpower and humiliate him if you ask me. Ranking's are subjective and all based on personal opinion of course. The only way they would ever become more than opinion would be if every single fighter at a given weight fought eachother multiple imes. Add the fact that some people match up better stylewise with other's and it's all relative. I want to see Lindland against A. silva, Filho, Hendo( unlikely since the are on the same team), Franklin, kang, Misaki, Marquardt etc. Who cares if he last 2 rounds with Fedor? No one I know questions his toughness, just his career choices.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #9   2/15/07 1:56:26PM   

ffforgottenx

Standup Guy

ffforgottenx Avatar

Career:2,361-1,555
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

I rank Lindland #1 also, but I will be changing that in the next 6 months if he doesn't start fighting ranked middleweight's. Last one he fought was Horn. Losing to a bunch of LHVY's and HVY's will just prove he should go back to middleweight IMO. I understand he wants to make money, but if he really does fight all 3 Bodog fight's at heavyweight he is making a huge career mistake IMO. Fedor, Alek's, and Monson( only 3 HVY's I've heard them signing would all overpower and humiliate him if you ask me. Ranking's are subjective and all based on personal opinion of course. The only way they would ever become more than opinion would be if every single fighter at a given weight fought eachother multiple imes. Add the fact that some people match up better stylewise with other's and it's all relative. I want to see Lindland against A. silva, Filho, Hendo( unlikely since the are on the same team), Franklin, kang, Misaki, Marquardt etc. Who cares if he last 2 rounds with Fedor? No one I know questions his toughness, just his career choices.

actually both lindland and hendo have said in interviews that they would fight each other for the right ammount of money.. if i can find the interviews again i will post a link.. he said something like 'we have competed against eachother in wrestling before plenty of times.. if they want to pay us to beat eachother up, thats fine with me'

Post #10   2/15/07 2:17:06PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,902-1,070
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by ffforgottenx

Posted by hippysmacker

actually both lindland and hendo have said in interviews that they would fight each other for the right ammount of money.. if i can find the interviews again i will post a link.. he said something like 'we have competed against eachother in wrestling before plenty of times.. if they want to pay us to beat eachother up, thats fine with me'

I don't doubt you, but I still a beleive people cannot unleash to there full potential against close friends or family. That " for enough money thing" always makes me sad. Money is the root of all evil to me.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #11   2/15/07 2:21:25PM   

Dadaman

MMA Regular

Dadaman Avatar

Career:61-42
Chips:
Linland is the eternal Journeyman. I think it'll be interesting to see where his fighting future takes him. With all these semi-top tier shows and other up-and-coming promotions I think Linland may be doing the smart thing by keeping his options open.

There is also very little doubt in my mind that he is the best at 183-185. I think he would dominate Silva to a UD. He could probably do the same to most other fighters at this weight class including Hendo, Filho, Kang and Franklin.

For some reason I can see Swick being the answer for Linland's style.

Post #12   2/15/07 4:08:22PM   

Reignofterror

MMA Regular

Reignofterror Avatar

Career:61-30
Chips:

Posted by Manfred

LMFAO!

Post #13   2/15/07 4:12:30PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
i dunno i kinda see lindland like a poor mans version of jason stratham (crank, snatch)

but sloth is def. more fnnier

Post #14   2/15/07 8:06:06PM   

Dadaman

MMA Regular

Dadaman Avatar

Career:61-42
Chips:
Ttt because I think Linland is the Black Sheep of MMA and always interesting to talk about

Post #15   2/15/07 10:37:32PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3