Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC Lightweight tournament

Print  
Posted By Message

sambaker425

Learning to Sprawl

sambaker425 Avatar

Career:403-353
Chips:
I have been talking to my friends about what could UFC do to make it worth ordering a pay-per view. Most of the time when i order it i am mad that i spent 40 bucks on a boring 6 fight card and a bunch of commercials. So i thought i would ask everyone how do you feel about a light weight tournament. We thought it would be crazy and would not dissapoint anyone. Even tho Dana White hates them what do you all think. ~SAM~ or

Post #1   1/18/08 6:49:31PM   

The8One5

Banned

Career:31-17
Chips:
actually i always hear how exciting the lightweight are from joe rogan so i think if dana didnt like the lightweight they wouldnt fight on his show, ive seen lots of threads about bringing tournaments back in the UFC and it will never happen because they book fights in advance and not all the top fighters in one weight class could be ready at the same time to fight each other let alone multiple fights in a night

Post #2   1/18/08 6:57:20PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
tournament are fun sometimes

Post #3   1/18/08 7:28:03PM   

stock

Banned

Career:409-235
Chips:
Interesting idea except they would have to take it oversees.
Most the states' athletic commissions would not allow a fighter to fight more than once in the same night.

Post #4   1/18/08 7:35:52PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,411-771
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by sambaker425

I have been talking to my friends about what could UFC do to make it worth ordering a pay-per view. Most of the time when i order it i am mad that i spent 40 bucks on a boring 6 fight card and a bunch of commercials. So i thought i would ask everyone how do you feel about a light weight tournament. We thought it would be crazy and would not dissapoint anyone. Even tho Dana White hates them what do you all think. ~SAM~ or

If your being disappointed with every fight card maybe MMA or the UFC isn't your thing. There has only been one UFC that I can think of that I was kind of dispointed with and cant really blame the UFC for that the fighters didn't preform up to par. They really do have the best of the best in the UFC. You can match the best with the best that doesn't always mean the will preform as the best.

As far a tournament its not going to happen with the UFC but a smaller org may do it but don't think it will be in Vegas. I know Strike Force put on one back in November in California. But I have a hard time thinking that the NSAC would let something like that be put on in their state and thats the golden standard for the UFC. I also don't think California will be doing any again any time soon because they had a big scare with Sean Salmon at that tournament some people really thought he had died then bunch of other things ending up to being just to be a really bad KO.

Post #5   1/18/08 10:01:27PM   

Franklinfan47

Simply The Best

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,629-1,436
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Well, the strike force middleweight tournament they just had was pretty good. To rejog your memory, Jorge Santiago crushed Sean Salmon with a knee then beat Prangley, who beat Falinko Vitale via thumb to the eye, to win the crown. That was in California, was it not?

I think if they did just a four man tournament like that again in the ufc, it would be epic. I had this idea of Kenny Florian, Frank Edger, Roger Huerta, and Tyson Griffin in the tournament (as I consider them the top 4 guys right now), fighting for a title shot. So when Penn/Stevenson fights sherk, we already got the winners opponent.

I think its a good possibility, hopefully the ufc looks into it.

Edit: just read the post above. To be fair though, the Sean Salmon scare really had nothing to do with the tournament. That was in the first round, where both fighters were fresh, so it would have been the same for any regular, non-tournament match.

Last edited 1/18/08 10:33PM server time by Franklinfan47
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   1/18/08 10:30:10PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,993-1,122
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I am against any tournament with shortened, specialized rules. I am also against any tournament where the fighters fight more than once a night. Injuries always abound in any type of tournament , and unless your willing to wait for someone to heal and keep there spot, they don't work for me. The other thing is a guy can have a tough earlier opponent, and the guy he fights in the 2nd round could have had a walk through. This plays a lot into determining the winner of a tournament where you fight more than once a night. The only thing I would like is when a fighter vacates the belt, or the the UFC has to create a interim belt for any reason, that hey don';t have a mini 4 fighter contender elimination match. If the UFc had Bj fight Griffin , and Edgar fight fight Stevenson for the right to be in the interim title match, I would be happier. I'm not in anyway saying Bj and Stevenson aren't top guys. Only that Bj has 1 fight at LWT , Stevenson has a loss in the last year an d a half, griffin is on par with Stevenson in my book record wise, and Edgar has a win over Griffin in a pickem fight. Not to mention Florian, Huerta are on good streaks. So somebody's unhappy however they do it, 2 fighters, 4 , 6 etc. Still, based on the last year and a half of fights I think it would have been better to go with the 4 man m ini-tournament I proposed , and hope nobody got hurt. the reason i think they didn't is Sherk was hurt for a long time, and then the steroid thing wasn't final till recently. Since they decided to strip him, and the bely has been undefended for so long , they had to make the best of a tough situation. In that case I have to agree with final decision. If I were in charge of the hVYweight problem , after Randys departure, I would do it differently. I would have Sylvia , GG, Nog, and Kongo in the 4 man mini tournament. With the way things have gone in the last year, one of the winners would probably get hurt,and ruin it anyway. then it would be even longer for a title defense. Maybe they are doing the right thing after all, but in a perfect fairer world, this would make more sense to me.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #7   1/18/08 11:51:12PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

I am against any tournament with shortened, specialized rules. I am also against any tournament where the fighters fight more than once a night. Injuries always abound in any type of tournament , and unless your willing to wait for someone to heal and keep there spot, they don't work for me. The other thing is a guy can have a tough earlier opponent, and the guy he fights in the 2nd round could have had a walk through. This plays a lot into determining the winner of a tournament where you fight more than once a night. The only thing I would like is when a fighter vacates the belt, or the the UFC has to create a interim belt for any reason, that hey don';t have a mini 4 fighter contender elimination match. If the UFc had Bj fight Griffin , and Edgar fight fight Stevenson for the right to be in the interim title match, I would be happier. I'm not in anyway saying Bj and Stevenson aren't top guys. Only that Bj has 1 fight at LWT , Stevenson has a loss in the last year an d a half, griffin is on par with Stevenson in my book record wise, and Edgar has a win over Griffin in a pickem fight. Not to mention Florian, Huerta are on good streaks. So somebody's unhappy however they do it, 2 fighters, 4 , 6 etc. Still, based on the last year and a half of fights I think it would have been better to go with the 4 man m ini-tournament I proposed , and hope nobody got hurt. the reason i think they didn't is Sherk was hurt for a long time, and then the steroid thing wasn't final till recently. Since they decided to strip him, and the bely has been undefended for so long , they had to make the best of a tough situation. In that case I have to agree with final decision. If I were in charge of the hVYweight problem , after Randys departure, I would do it differently. I would have Sylvia , GG, Nog, and Kongo in the 4 man mini tournament. With the way things have gone in the last year, one of the winners would probably get hurt,and ruin it anyway. then it would be even longer for a title defense. Maybe they are doing the right thing after all, but in a perfect fairer world, this would make more sense to me.

i agree with the whole mini tournament and am on par with you reasons for disliking same-day tournaments as well. the only problem is that dana white hates tournaments as you, I, and everyone else her knows, and he would never do it. also, as you say, in a perfect world a mini tournament would be great, especially in the HW and LW divisions to determine the pecking order after the title vacations. however in a perfect world matt serra would still be just another fighter, couture would have stayed with the ufc and fedor would have fought him to fulfill the MMA prophesies. so, in this world full of imperfections, something is bound to go wrong in any kind of tournament delaying the process or complicating things further.

Post #8   1/19/08 12:30:54AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,411-771
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

I agree 100% I just don't think any of the major players in the UFC would go for it. I also don't think the the NSAC would go for it either and Dana seams to be in love with them. I'm going to say because Lorenzo Fertitta was on the board for a while. But you never know I didn't think they would ever up the number of rounds and looks like they may do it.

Post #9   1/19/08 3:21:42AM   

RampageOwnedYou

Banned

RampageOwnedYou Avatar

Career:493-284
Chips:

tournament are fun sometimes

what happened to

"dont forget the props"

LOL

Tourny's are amazing, thats what made UFC in the early years.

Pride did them and were a huge success.
UFC just doesnt want to see injuries happen, the main reason.

But as a fan, im sure all of us would love to see them, i know for sure I WOULD.... :)

Post #10   1/19/08 3:56:43AM