Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Zuffa seeks retraction of statements by former UFC owner

Print  
Posted By Message

Bemin

Touch gloves, and good fight!

Bemin Avatar

Career:140-118
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Zuffa, the parent company of the UFC, has formally requested that CNBC air a retraction concerning “misstatements and inaccuracies” regarding the Zuffa Owners’ purchase of the UFC brand and Lorenzo Fertitta’s conduct as an NSAC commissioner.

CNBC recently aired a documentary entitled “Ultimate Fighting: From Blood Sport to Big Time” featuring an interview with Robert Meyrowitz regarding his role as President of Semaphore Entertainment Group (SEG), predecessor-in-interest to the Ultimate Fighting Championship brand.

When discussing SEG’s need to obtain Nevada State Athletic Commission approval for mixed martial arts prior to selling the brand to Zuffa, LLC in January 2001, Meyrowitz stated:

“We went out there [to Nevada], it looked like we had the votes, we were told we did, and about midnight I got a phone call that one of the commissioners had changed his mind… and it turns out that commissioner was Lorenzo Fertitta, that he had changed his mind and that we wouldn’t be able to get approval.”

Link

Post #1   1/17/08 10:08:14PM   

DieSlow

Learning to Sprawl

DieSlow Avatar

Career:879-550
Camp: /r/mma
Chips:
My impression was that the "no" vote came from him because he had a business interest and stood to benefit from the UFC not being able to put on a show. I do not know the whole story but it looked like he made the decision for personal benefit, rather than from the viewpoint of an impartial judge.

Post #2   1/18/08 12:51:13AM   

Daddyprimetime

MMA Regular

Daddyprimetime Avatar

Career:457-264
Camp: Xtreme Couture
Chips:
I knew this would come up after that was aired on CNBC. I watched it and as soon as he said that I knew that the new UFC managment would have something to say back.

Post #3   1/18/08 1:26:12AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
EDIT- i retract my earlier statement after actually reading the article. the NSAC has documented proof that the guy lied at least once in the documentary. his crediblity is shot IMO

Last edited 1/18/08 1:57AM server time by pookie
Edit note/reason: Wu-Tang Clan aint nothin to...

Post #4   1/18/08 1:30:20AM   

Bemin

Touch gloves, and good fight!

Bemin Avatar

Career:140-118
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by DieSlow

My impression was that the "no" vote came from him because he had a business interest and stood to benefit from the UFC not being able to put on a show. I do not know the whole story but it looked like he made the decision for personal benefit, rather than from the viewpoint of an impartial judge.

I watched this the night it aired too, and was like WTF, if that is true it's big news. I most thought it was most likely just bitterness coming through, as it seems that that has proved the case.

Last edited 1/18/08 2:18AM server time by Bemin
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   1/18/08 2:17:56AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,518-886
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=697193

their you go.

Post #6   1/18/08 9:17:42AM