Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Nam Phan Interview...Strikeforce plans, turning down the UFC, etc.

Print  
Posted By Message

78Circus

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
Just did a story and interview with Nam. He talks about his upcoming bouts with Strikeforce and Gladiator Challenge...why he turned down the UFC and what he thinks of Roger Huerta, his professional boxing career. Feel free to check it out and leave any comments. We're lagging on redesigning the site so bare with the simplicity for now. Thanks

Nam Phan Interview

Post #1   1/14/08 1:12:26AM   

Bemin

Touch gloves, and good fight!

Bemin Avatar

Career:140-118
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
It suprises me when up and coming fighters turn down the UFC. I guess its the cool thing to do since Randy and Fedor...

Too bad these guys don't realize the exposure that fighting in the UFC brings you. Even if you wash out there is nothing that the smaller organizations love to mention more when doing promotions is that you are a UFC vet. As it stands right now UFC = MMA in the USA, is it wrong? Yes, but the average fan doesn't know shit if it doesn't have "UFC" beside it. (Here's hoping that Cuban and his deep pockets and television network can change this in the future.)

Post #2   1/14/08 3:02:31AM   

MMAnomale

MMA Regular

MMAnomale Avatar

Career:155-77
Chips:
I can't say that I blame him for turning down the UFC. 2,000$ to fight and another 2 to win isn't enough for 2 to 3 months of work- training, etc. He's making more from other venues. He would get some good exposure from the UFC, but there's a chance that he wouldn't be on the PPV card, unless it's a good fight, then they might throw the pre-recorded fight in after a main event. If he's smart, and he continues to do well, he'll get better offers, and if he's smart, he accept them, if for nothing else than the exposure.

Post #3   1/14/08 10:48:17AM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:

Posted by MMAnomale

I can't say that I blame him for turning down the UFC. 2,000$ to fight and another 2 to win isn't enough for 2 to 3 months of work- training, etc. He's making more from other venues. He would get some good exposure from the UFC, but there's a chance that he wouldn't be on the PPV card, unless it's a good fight, then they might throw the pre-recorded fight in after a main event. If he's smart, and he continues to do well, he'll get better offers, and if he's smart, he accept them, if for nothing else than the exposure.

I agree 100%. Go where the money is.

Post #4   1/14/08 11:22:39AM   

78Circus

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
Yeah the UFC gives you exposure, but consider this. Nam earned $29,500 for his fight against JZ last summer in K-1 Hero's.

Another thing to keep in mind. I'd guess that Nam probably raked in for as much from his KOTC fights from tickets sales alone as the UFC offered him. I don't know for sure, but I know guys who were receiving $7 to $10 per ticket sold, and Nam would bring in about 500 or so himself. Turning down the UFC was a no brainer.

Post #5   1/14/08 2:00:08PM