Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Vera's Last UFC opponent

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

JoeMimic

MMA Regular

JoeMimic Avatar

Career:1,741-1,058
Camp: The Underground
Chips:
It'll be a prelim and then if they have time they won't show it ala Nick Diaz Vs Gleison Tibau a few months back. I wouldn't be suprised to see Vera put O'Brien to sleep with his muay thai knees.

Post #16   2/14/07 11:17:39AM   

waylon_o

In Full Mount

waylon_o Avatar

Career:162-90
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:
It would break my ####ing heart to see Vera beat Cro Cop. I don't think it would ever happen, but if it did, I would cry.

Post #17   2/14/07 11:17:45AM   

ffforgottenx

Standup Guy

ffforgottenx Avatar

Career:2,369-1,558
Chips:
its really funny to me how everyone is all on the brandon vera train when he takes out a few opponents and everyone says he is one of the best and blah blah blah, and now everyone hates him and wants to see him get his ass beat because he chose to leave for another organization that is going to pay him better.. people are really funny

Post #18   2/14/07 11:21:52AM   

redmist

MMA Regular

redmist Avatar

Career:340-240
Chips:

Posted by waylon_o

It would break my ####ing heart to see Vera beat Cro Cop. I don't think it would ever happen, but if it did, I would cry.

nah Crocop wouldn't cry for you, but it wouldn't happen like you say.

Post #19   2/14/07 11:24:44AM   

waylon_o

In Full Mount

waylon_o Avatar

Career:162-90
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:

Posted by redmist

Posted by waylon_o

nah Crocop wouldn't cry for you, but it wouldn't happen like you say.

I'm not saying Vera would win...I don't think he would win once if they fought 20 times...i'm just saying, if somehow he knocked him out, that would suck balls

Post #20   2/14/07 11:26:21AM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:

Posted by ffforgottenx

its really funny to me how everyone is all on the brandon vera train when he takes out a few opponents and everyone says he is one of the best and blah blah blah, and now everyone hates him and wants to see him get his ass beat because he chose to leave for another organization that is going to pay him better.. people are really funny

Can't argue with that... Seems like people are mad at him for wanting money but the only reason they want him to stay is for their own quasi-selfish reasons. IMO, it's being a little hypocrytical, unless you would turn down that kind of money yourself.

Post #21   2/14/07 12:43:29PM   

Ydoc

Belt Contender

Ydoc Avatar

Career:1,371-849
Camp: Camp David
Chips:
How is fighting Jake an attempt on leaving a bad mark on his record? Seems like there being nice to Vera and still babying him, he could have had to fight Crocop or Andrei.

It could be much worse, he could be fighting someone who can KO him. Instead he's possibly fighting osmeone who he would be favored against.

Post #22   2/14/07 2:01:00PM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:
Exposure wise it's worse for him. AA & CC will not be dark matches. More like co-main events (esp. CC)

Post #23   2/14/07 2:14:39PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,924-1,081
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I like the idea of it being an O'brien dark match. It makes sense because he's not exciting enough yet to be featured by the UFC. Until he gets some pound to go along with his ground he's just a LnP guy IMO. He could conceivably LnP this one out which would leave Vera with a blackmark, and I hope that happens. I beleive Vera will beat him though, but since he's not currently the type of fighter the UFC will push they don't lose a lot. Another point in the Vera $ saga. I understand all the argument's for and against. However, having owned a business before remember this. If a corporation files bankruptcy anytime during his possible big $ contract with showtime he get's nothing. As I understand it the contract's are signed with Elite XC , who has a contract with showtime. My partner's in business just decided one day they couldn't meet the financial obligations($400,000 seed money) they had promised after only putting in 150, 000 and outvoted me to bankrupt the Corporation. Basically all creditiors get nada, and they sold off slect assets for $1 . Big businessmen always protect themselves through layer's of smaller and sometimes even dummy corps I've learned the hard way. So if his contract is with Elite XC and they fold he get's nothing.. Meanwhile BJ penn's( elite XC partner) brother can just reopen rumble on the rock in Hawii and he's protected also.I know some people are saying Vera should take the big quick cash, and if Showtime is gonna stick with Elite through the duration of his contract, it would make some sense. Afer seeing their inaugural event I don't holdout to much hope for them however. The UFC will definately be here in 2 years and I think Dana is the type to hold a grudge. Vera doesn't have the public rep of Tito/BJ to pull this off and still have people clamoring for him to come back IMO. Unless he beats some top guys before Showtime backs out, he's screwed . I know it's possible Showtime could stick it out for 2 years, but I think the easiest path is not always the best. I would urge him to take the sure thing. However, I fear there might be something to say about the possibility of him seeing the writing on the wall with Cro-cop coming in.

Last edited 2/14/07 2:46PM server time by hippysmacker
Edit note/reason: n/a

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #24   2/14/07 2:45:19PM   

uhlsc

Learning to Sprawl

uhlsc Avatar

Career:446-314
Camp: Cartersburg Fight Fans
Chips:
This is a win win for the ufc if Jake wins he is hyped a little more if he gets beat they can knock him back down a few notches and give him back to a healthy heath herring ( thats a lot of H's) and let herring beat the lay and pray out of him.

Post #25   2/14/07 4:14:34PM   

shawneth

MMA Regular

shawneth Avatar

Career:397-201
Chips:

Posted by Manfred

We might not see it anyways, I gotta felling Dana's going to make it a dark match out of spite.

I could be wrong, it's just a hunch

That is exactly what he is going to do. He did the same thing to Nick Diaz who was one of the most known fighters in the UFC.

Post #26   2/14/07 5:34:40PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2