Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Brandon Vera On His Fight With Tim Sylivia: "I’m ashamed to have been a part of it."

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Brandon Vera has seemingly flown under the radar since his unanimous decision loss to Tim Sylvia at UFC 77. Vera revealed after the fight that he broke his hand in the very first exchange of the fight and had to adjust his game plan. MMAWeekly had the oppertunity to sit down with the rising heavyweight star to discuss the fight and his future.

Vera On Breaking His Hand In The Fight:

My thumb got caught and pulled back like a banana. I held my breath and pulled it real hard and it didn’t go back in. I finished the first round, went back to my coaches, who were like ‘(expletive) your left hand, you don’t need it! Use your right hand.’ I was like cool, I won’t use my left hand. I wanted to punch Tim so hard.I should have just kept touching and moving, instead of trying to light him up early. He started hitting me; I couldn’t hit him back. I started throwing short elbows to try and catch him on his way in. I sucked. That was one of the most boring fights ever. I’m ashamed to have been a part of it.

Link

Post #1   1/11/08 3:05:00PM   

Porch28

BANNED

Porch28 Avatar

Career:506-292
Chips:
HE will be Champ.

Post #2   1/11/08 3:23:16PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
yes it was borin, but imo if vera was fightin anyone else the fight would have been good. Vera was to small in that fight, tim huged him the whole time

Post #3   1/11/08 3:42:22PM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:
I'm seriously getting tired of people bashing Big Tim. He has 3 losses, one of which was because he didn't tap in an arm-bar. The other loss was to Randy Couture, where Tim went into the fight requiring back surgery, and he didn't even bitch about it. There's no shame in losing to Sylvia. Vera needs to get at least 10 fights under his belt, and stop coming up with excuses.

Post #4   1/11/08 3:50:45PM   

ocho-cinco

In Full Mount

ocho-cinco Avatar

Career:994-597
Camp: nelson top team
Chips:

Posted by silverbullet

I'm seriously getting tired of people bashing Big Tim. He has 3 losses, one of which was because he didn't tap in an arm-bar. The other loss was to Randy Couture, where Tim went into the fight requiring back surgery, and he didn't even bitch about it. There's no shame in losing to Sylvia. Vera needs to get at least 10 fights under his belt, and stop coming up with excuses.

People bash Tim because he's boring, not because he sucks. Lets face it, peopel watch MMA because they want excitment, and Tim usually has boring fights. However, he's one of the best fighters on the planet, there is no denying that.

And I don't think Vera is "bitching," he is just saying what happened.

Post #5   1/11/08 4:12:46PM   

rabbit915

In Full Mount

rabbit915 Avatar

Career:2,011-1,129
Chips:
Yeah, Vera has a ton of potential but i think he bit off more than he could chew in this fight. Id give him a few years and hes going to be a champ.

Post #6   1/11/08 4:19:29PM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:
tim doesnt suck... but if he wasnt a monster he would.. burt hey.. waht can you say.. using your body to your advantage is something that you have to do in a fight

Post #7   1/11/08 7:53:42PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:

Posted by ocho-cinco

Posted by silverbullet

People bash Tim because he's boring, not because he sucks. Lets face it, peopel watch MMA because they want excitment, and Tim usually has boring fights. However, he's one of the best fighters on the planet, there is no denying that.

Because finishing 79% of yoyr fights is boring

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #8   1/11/08 10:15:40PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by ocho-cinco

Posted by silverbullet

Oh come on man, for months and months fans were constantly stating how so and so could beat Tim Sylvia because he only uses his size as a skill, which is complete garbage. He isn't the most exciting fighter, but what he does WORKS.

Post #9   1/12/08 3:19:29AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,411-771
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by silverbullet

I'm getting tired of fighter bashing any fighter at all. It seams to be the cool thing to do now days. Back when there was UFC vs Pride it made since then I didn't let it bug me so much but now it just drive me crazy. I'm so hooking you up with props!!

Post #10   1/12/08 4:18:06AM   

Underhook

Banned

Career:20-11
Chips:
i would still pick vera over tim anyday, if he won that fight i see him beating nogueira by a KO, it makes sense why he didnt win that fight because of the broken finger, vera had more to gain in that fight than tim cus now tim has to fight a world class ground fighter (vera is better on the ground than tim is my point) and make his name again as the exciting fighter he was before the arlovski trilogy (i think he lost the 3rd arlovski fight)

im 63/37 on the tim/nog fight in favor of nog, but if vera beat 2 top contenders (possibly a rematch with tim) he will not have much competition except cro cop, kharitonov, gonzaga, randy, fedor, aleks, and arlovski (4-5 of whom might not fight in the ufc or ever again in the ufc)

Post #11   1/12/08 5:22:36AM   

RampageOwnedYou

Banned

RampageOwnedYou Avatar

Career:493-284
Chips:
Vera is the man, and a class act. Wish more fighters had the attitude like this kid. I do see him being champ one day. Not in next year, but one day for sure. Hope to see him rebound soon.

Post #12   1/13/08 1:54:41AM