Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

McFedries vs Cote

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

gsquat

MMA Sensei

gsquat Avatar

Career:407-229
Chips:
How does anyone think that Cote would win against McFedries? Cote's standup sucks and thats all he likes to do. McFedries on the other hand out boxed an excellent kickboxer in Martin Kampmann before getting schooled on the ground with an arm triangle. Cote ins't going to take it to the ground. Knowing that, how could he beat Drew?

Don't site Grove fight as an example of Cote's standup game. He was getting beat until he landed that shot.

Last edited 1/11/08 2:47PM server time by gsquat
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   1/11/08 2:46:16PM   

Kastro

Standup Guy

Kastro Avatar

Career:474-316
Camp: The Tactical Underground
Chips:
Cote is a tough fighter, he did take Tito Ortiz to a decision and he has been in there with some big names and held his ground.

Cote's standup has also improved immensely in the last year or so as well as his footwork and overall he has become such a better fighter after TUF... I think you may be underestimating him just a little bit.

On the other hand, Drew is a very tough fighter as well and I am leaning towards him a bit to win.. but im not too sure as to who I am picking just yet..

Last edited 1/11/08 3:00PM server time by Kastro

Post #2   1/11/08 2:58:57PM   

gsquat

MMA Sensei

gsquat Avatar

Career:407-229
Chips:
I know Cote is a tough fighter, but he likes to stand and swing. Thats a fight he's bound to lose against a striker like McFedries.

Post #3   1/11/08 3:03:27PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Cote dropped Ortiz, went toe to toe with leben.

The way I think Cote can win is by getting the clinch, shit i think he might take drew down if he looks to score some points. Like chuck did to wandy

Drew just needs to keep his distance and pick cote apart

Post #4   1/11/08 3:03:35PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Chips:
Cotes stand up isnt that bad, he just gets wreckless somtimes. I think he'll use the clinch like he did against grove and work takedowns, just to frustrate drew if nothing else. Ive got cote but second round tko, mabeys by some g'n'p.

Post #5   1/11/08 3:16:16PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:
i like mcfedries, cote is tough but his style is a horrible matchup for mcfedries who is too heavy handed for cote to handle. mcfedries takes this one via first round ko, this guy is a very underrated middleweight and i think he will be in title contention by the end of the year, people love to talk up martin kampmann and rightfully so, but his fight against mcfedries was very close to being finished a couple of times, this guy is good.

Post #6   1/11/08 3:16:49PM   

wolfman

On the Banned Team...

wolfman Avatar

Career:550-229
Chips:

Posted by Kastro

Cote is a tough fighter, he did take Tito Ortiz to a decision and he has been in there with some big names and held his ground.

Cote's standup has also improved immensely in the last year or so as well as his footwork and overall he has become such a better fighter after TUF... I think you may be underestimating him just a little bit.

On the other hand, Drew is a very tough fighter as well and I am leaning towards him a bit to win.. but im not too sure as to who I am picking just yet..

Well said, I also believe the TS is underestimating Cote. I think Cote has a good chance of winning this fight. First off, Cote has a tough chin and I think the only way Drew wins is if he (T)KO's Cote and I don't see that happening. Don't get me wrong, Drew is a tough dude and has the power to KO Cote. Yet, you must remember that Cote has not been KO'ed in his career. I know there is a first time for everything, yet I still don't see it happening. In addition, Cote has a huge edge in experience(He has fought tougher opponents), an edge in submissions, and has better cardio. Drew tends to gas early and this will leave him susceptible to getting (T)KO'ed. It should also be noted that recently Drew lost his mother in December, she was murdered. This could play a factor in the fight, Drew's head may not be ready to fight. I hope this is not the case, but it is a possibility. I wish him and his family the best. Hopefully, these two fighters put on a show.

Post #7   1/11/08 3:18:52PM   

chickmagnet

MMA Sensei

chickmagnet Avatar

Career:529-344
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
Cote has got heavy hands, but McFedries is one of the hardest punchers at 185. He is a bigger version of Robbie Lawler and he was picking Kampmann apart in there fight until he got taken down, he alsow out struck Sakara who is a very good boxer and finished him. I think once McFedries gets his rhythm going hes gonna finish Cote.

Post #8   1/11/08 3:32:30PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
drew is going to KO cote, imo drew will be fightin for his mom in this fight and you are going to see a 100% drew

Post #9   1/11/08 3:34:18PM   

JWils

Standup Guy

JWils Avatar

Career:1,467-773
Chips:
I'm picking Cote in this one.

Cote just needs to survive McFedries' bombs early in the fight and wait for him to tire. Like another poster has already said, McFedries cardio is not the best.

Cote needs to close the distance and try to take McFedries down. Kampmann exposed McFedries' weakness in their fight. I see Cote scoring a few takedowns, wearing McFedries down, and TKO'ing him in the 3rd.

BUT, like the TS said, if Cote decides to stand and bang with McFedries, especially early, it could be lights out for Cote. McFedries has thunder in his hands.

Cote has shown a little more well roundedness (is that even a word??) than McFedries so I think he'll have a smart gameplan use his superior skillset to beat Drew.

Good matchup, I'm really looking forward to this fight.

Last edited 1/11/08 4:18PM server time by JWils

Post #10   1/11/08 4:17:59PM   

78Circus

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
This seems like the kind of match up where both guys throw their gameplans out the window early in the bout and just slug for the fences.

Cote has the tools to win, I know he can strike but it would be a bad idea to do so against Drew

Post #11   1/12/08 5:13:21PM   

DBest

Learning to Sprawl

DBest Avatar

Career:908-558
Camp: TKO
Chips:
Cote's stand-up does not suck. And how could he win? McFedries could gas or get caught.

Post #12   1/12/08 6:29:50PM   

MMAFightClothes

MMA Regular

MMAFightClothes Avatar

Career:476-296
Camp: Blood Sport
Chips:
Cote could definately win this fight. All the good points I can think of have already been mentioned so I won't add to them, but don't count him out.

Post #13   1/12/08 9:31:12PM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:
this one is going to end witha brutal KO of Cote. He likes to stand, and is confident in his striking(why i dont know). Cote will go down hard

Post #14   1/12/08 10:48:52PM   

vick_vega

Banned

Career:23-21
Chips:
This is a total pickem fight. I dont know how looking at these fighters careers and thier upside how you can pick anything but that. Das how I see it.

Post #15   1/13/08 7:22:35PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2