Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

White has UFC as dominant MMA force

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,746-1,521
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
You blow your nose with a Kleenex, you Xerox a document. Sure, there are plenty of tissue makers and even more companies producing copy machines, but Kleenex and Xerox achieved the unthinkable — the brand name supplanted the product.

UFC president Dana White would love to see that develop with his company in 2008. He's close to achieving the feat. Many casual fans and non-mixed martial arts media newcomers often tag the entire sport "UFC."

Gary Shaw of Elite XC knows there's a lot at stake this year. He would like to see UFC go the way of America Online. AOL was a juggernaut in the late '90s until the dreaded C-word — competition — reared its ugly head.

Link

Post #1   1/11/08 11:47:03AM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Career:120-77
Camp: Team Arse Kickers
Chips:
Pretty good read... I just don't agree with a lot of it.

Sounds to me the guy who owns Elite XC is pretty jealous. He's knocking a guy who has done it better than him (partially opinion). He brings up a comment about how most people only know 4 fighters in the UFC, and they can't be around forever... how many guys in the Elite XC are a household name? Most likely none. Just because everyone knows Liddell, Couture, Hughes, and Ortiz (I'm assuming these are the 4 he's mentioning), doesn't mean that once these guys are done that no one will remember. There are many stars on the rise... for instance I don't think there is anyone who tunes into the UFC that doesn't know guys like Griffin, Jackson, GSP, Penn, Sherk, Sylvia, or any other top fighter (or thorn in the side) who has been around a while... soon enough many fans will be more familiar with guys like Cro Cop, Nog, Fitch, KenFlo, Parisyan (if he starts getting more opportunities), Rua, Jardine, etc., etc. (could go on all day). There are just a lot of guys that are only now beginning to get a lot of exposure.

In either case, there are always going to be people who doubt the UFC, and think they can do better because they have some money... in the end... if they aren't as big they won't have the same sponsorships. Just because the NSAC might report a fighter making more money from Elite XC, HDNet, or whomever... does not mean that they are making more money. It just gives them opportunity to blast the UFC about things that almost no one knows exactly what is going on financially. Not to mention, the comparison of the UFC to the WWE is just ignorant. The WWE has failed for far more reasons than Vince McMahon wanting to be on top of everything... Now if Dana begins turning his fighters into soap opera stars, begins staging fights for a pointless outcome, and starts jumping into the Octagon and beating the piss out of UFC fighters... then we can have that discussion. All in all, it's entertaining to read, but nothing that was said really has much merit.

Post #2   1/11/08 1:09:20PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,473-1,157
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:

Props

Well Said

Post #3   1/11/08 1:16:25PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:1,994-1,016
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
If the UFC was not doing so great, we would not even have this place to talk about it.

Elite/xc can vanish tomorrow morning and the average MMA fans will not even notice it.

I am preatty sure that there are some billionaire somewhere in their cigar room who think they can do better that the NFL, however we all know that's bullshit.

Same for the UFC, by saying that it was easy for the UFC because there were no competition is preatty stupid, it is when a sport is at his beginning that almost nobody want to take risk with it, now because of the UFC's success, we have a lot of low level league who are trying their chance but non of them would have even think about it if the UFC was not as succesfull as it is .

Post #4   1/11/08 2:02:15PM   

rabbit915

In Full Mount

rabbit915 Avatar

Career:2,011-1,129
Chips:
I agree with parts of what he said but i dont think he has a chance of toppling the UFC. I like the fact that he and other promotions are bringing competition to the sport and it only benefits the fighters and the consumers.

The one thing that bothers me is that he talks of fighters joining smaller promotions to make more money. Thats all well and good but if big name guys start doing that, they are going to have no choice but to fight cans rather than other top names. This is bad for the sport. These organizations need to work together to make sure their stars are fighting eachother and i worry about this being possible if the sport becomes to decentralized.

Post #5   1/11/08 4:27:36PM