Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Interviewing ‘Mixfight M-1’ president Vadim Finkelstein and vice-president Sergei Matvienko

Print  
Posted By Message

Bemin

Touch gloves, and good fight!

Bemin Avatar

Career:140-118
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Their impression of Yarennoka!, revealing future plans, potential Fedor's opponents and more

1. Whose idea was it originally to organize the Yarennoka! event?

Vadim: We had the idea a long time ago. Fedor is Pride champion who has fought in Japan forever. In 2007 Pride was purchased by one American company following which Pride died.

In October I got call from ex-Pride staff representative who told me there was an opportunity of organizing an event in Japan. Shortly thereafter we came to agreement that we’d hold an event called ‘M-1 Yarennoka!’ which would embody farewell to Pride.

Sergei: Yarennoka in Japanese means “Let’s do this” or “Can we do it?”. Actually we had this question in mind while arranging things. As far as I’m concerned we succeeded.

2. What problems did you come across while organizing this event?

Vadim: We had a bunch of problems as it was the first time we made an event of this caliber. Lack of time for instance. Also they gave us a smaller arena than we expected because there was not enough time to conduct a full-scale campaign advertising the upcoming event. So we decided to not take the risk. The arena could seat only 22’000 spectators but there were about 27’000 in attendance, the arena was pretty much overcrowded. It was simply impossible to dismantle the arena in one day.

Sergei: For the next event we’ll get the building which would seat 40’000 people. We are confident there still will be lack of free seats. It was the case the last time as a lot of potential viewers couldn’t get a ticket.

Link

Please, anything but a Choi/Fedor rematch... WTH are they thinking,

Post #1   1/10/08 11:17:49PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,924-1,081
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I really hope they are kidding about a rematch with Choi or Schilt. I will be very bummed, because I think most mma fans will have no choice to lose respect for Fedor. Fedor's not in the uFc, fine. Fight Barnett, or Kharatanov till they see if a Randy fight will get done. Even Monson/Rizzo would be better than that. If Fedor is going to keep fighting k-1 guys, then the second fight should be under k-1 rules. This is like Tom Brady challenging Johan Santana to a quarterback skills competition. Unless a guy trains predominately in MMA it just seems a mismatch to me. Heck, why not fight Cro-cop by K-1 rules. I bet he wouldn't jump at that. He needs to fight ranked heavyweights in MMA , or no matter how great most of us beleive him to be, no one will rank him at the top IMO. I hope his managers are just talking out their butts, becuase you aren't the best , if you don't fight the best challengers.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #2   1/11/08 4:20:56AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

I really hope they are kidding about a rematch with Choi or Schilt. I will be very bummed, because I think most mma fans will have no choice to lose respect for Fedor. Fedor's not in the uFc, fine. Fight Barnett, or Kharatanov till they see if a Randy fight will get done. Even Monson/Rizzo would be better than that. If Fedor is going to keep fighting k-1 guys, then the second fight should be under k-1 rules. This is like Tom Brady challenging Johan Santana to a quarterback skills competition. Unless a guy trains predominately in MMA it just seems a mismatch to me. Heck, why not fight Cro-cop by K-1 rules. I bet he wouldn't jump at that. He needs to fight ranked heavyweights in MMA , or no matter how great most of us beleive him to be, no one will rank him at the top IMO. I hope his managers are just talking out their butts, becuase you aren't the best , if you don't fight the best challengers.

I agree but to be honest these guys have zero say in who Fedor fights, honestly. FEG controls the Japanese PPV and tv enough that m-1 can't get it on tv there without them. "from fightopinion.com:

The story of the day is this report about a new Japanese event produced by K-1 and DSE called “Dreams.” The long and the short of it — K-1 gets all the TV revenue, DSE gets the house show revenue, and Akira Maeda is gone. This makes total sense given what has been speculated on this site for the past two weeks — that Ishii, in jail, is calling the shots and is basically isolating all MMA companies from TV except for K-1. If anyone in Japan wants on TV, they have to go through him. Kawamata, likely, is helping Ishii execute his plans. Tanigawa is, at this point, demoted. Maeda is not going to hang around with anyone cooperating with DSE, as DSE went after talent in RINGS. This leaves DSE (w/ Sakakibara’s production company helping) to basically do all the work and apply the elbow grease. Ishii and K-1 get the easy TV money while DSE has to work for their cash. K-1 is in total control of the major Japanese MMA scene for 2008."

I'm trying to be fair to Fedor here but M-1 has no power in Japan, and the FEG guys are making fights that make them money, they make no money if it appeals to us north american fans, which sucks because we see Fedor vs Choi instead of Barney or Kharitonov. I do see M-1 making the Couture fight happen on HDnet, or possibly getting a ppv deal here(hope anyways). Anyways like you I hope we don't keep seeing Fedor fight K-1 guys.

Post #3   1/11/08 4:46:12AM   

tomp6581

Standup Guy

tomp6581 Avatar

Career:406-255
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

agree 100%

Post #4   1/11/08 7:20:59AM