Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Robert Drysdale

Print  
Posted By Message

StevenSeagal

Banned

Career:182-96
Chips:
Hello all. new to the forum. Was wondering if anyone has ever trained with Drysdale in Brazil. I was surfin around and saw that he charges $300USD a week for training with him at his school, 3 meals a day, a place to stay, and getting picked up at the airport. Seems like a cool trip. Was wondering if anyone has been there before?

Post #1   1/8/08 10:18:54AM   

fullerene

MMA Sensei

fullerene Avatar

Career:1,511-929
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
I'm not sure if you're going to get any responses from people who have actually done this, but a couple of things I'd put out as warnings:
* Robert Drysdale is active in the competition and seminar circuit. He's currently in the U.S. so the idea of "year round" training with him in Brazil doesn't mean he's going to be your personal trainer.
* I've been to Brazil and there are not a lot of English speakers there. If Robert Drysdale isn't there, I would assume his other students/instructors are knowledgable in BJJ, but will they speak English? (The Brazilians do seem to be willing/able to converse with you speaking Spanish or Italian and them responding in Portuguese)
* If you're just doing this to improve your BJJ game, how much previous experience do you have? There are thousands of guys who can show you how to transition from a triangle choke to an armbar. You don't need to find the world's greatest grappler for the basics, so if you're expenses are tight you may want to start your training elsewhere and then supplement a solid foundation with a trip like this (maybe you're there already).
* Brazil is not an expensive country. Personally, I would see about renting a place and picking up meals on my own and then joining his school separately. If you're unaccustomed to foreign travel, the security of having all of this done for you might make sense, but you can probably save yourself more than 50% of the cost by making separate arrangements.

Those are the warnings I'd give. On the other hand, let me point out some positives:
* Foreign travel in general is a great and memorable experience in many ways
* I've been to a couple dozen or so countries in my life and the most fun I've ever had was in Brazil
* Unlike most travelers, you'll have an instant bond for making friends and having a social life by belonging to a BJJ club
* Drysdale is legit as a world class BJJ practicioner and it would be a great experience to roll with him and have him as a teacher
* There should be more frequent and competitive BJJ tourneys going on there than in the U.S. (although I think there are more in the Rio area than in Sao Paulo--I'm not sure, though).
* If you want to be a fighter/competitor, even in the U.S., making connections with guys on a world-class level should pay off in getting the inside track to tournaments/ifghts going on in Brazil and/or the U.S.

A lot of it comes down to how much time and money you have available--as it does for almost everything in life. If you've got plenty of each, I think this would be a guaranteed great experience that you'd remember for the rest of your life.

Post #2   1/8/08 10:36:19AM   

StevenSeagal

Banned

Career:182-96
Chips:
Thanks man. Yeah Ive been looking for a forum to join that actually has knowlegable members that arent retarded. This seems like a good forum so far from what Ive read. Ive been training BJJ for about 2.5 years now under Roberto Marques.

The idea of traveling to Brazil always seemed cool. Im aware that I can get good training here. More interested in the trip mixed with training aspect. Good call about him being in the states... Just wondering. thanks for the help man

Post #3   1/8/08 11:34:36AM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
300 a week would be to much imo

Post #4   1/8/08 12:44:05PM   

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Career:552-270
Chips:

Posted by loonytnt

300 a week would be to much imo

If it was just training yeah, but you get a place to stay, food, etc.

I would do it if I was you, you get to travel to Brazil and train with one of the best BJJ practitioners in the world.

Last edited 1/10/08 11:28AM server time by fedorwins1
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   1/10/08 11:20:10AM   

KeNn

Standup Guy

KeNn Avatar

Career:93-76
Chips:
hell yah i'd go too.

300$ meals and a place to stay for a week, that's nice and cheap.
but there may be a language barrier

Post #6   1/10/08 7:54:27PM