Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

The only one who can beat GSP is Karo Parisyian

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:

Posted by xchickox

i think karo has potential to beat GSP but i think jon fitch has the biggest chance of beating GSP, both would be amazing fights

i think GSP's biggest threat now in BJ Penn but he went to a different weight class. Fitch is maybe as good a wrestler as Hughes and we've seen a few times now what happens when wrestlers try to fight GSP, they get tossed around. Karo definitely has potential to beat GSP but he would need thousands of hours of striking training.

IMO the two guys out of the ufc that i think can derail GSP are Robbie Lawler. When hes focused he has brutal power in his strikes and they are pinpoint accurate. On the feet i think he has an advantage lets just hope it doesnt go to the ground. The other guy is Nick Diaz. Diaz is years ahead of him in BJJ and Diaz has a good chin to take the punishment of GnP from GSP when Diaz is on his back. And on the feet Diaz keeps improving. But i dont see either of them coming back to the ufc.....EVER

Post #16   1/8/08 10:17:10AM   

fullerene

MMA Sensei

fullerene Avatar

Career:1,526-937
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
A guy who loses to every person who takes top position on him isn't going to beat a guy who takes top position on everybody. Plus, GSP has already beat Karo.

I think GSP's one apparent weakness is his chin. He has beaten more good quality wrestlers than good quality strikers. If someone is going to beat him I think they will do it by keeping the fight standing and doing damage while there. BJ Penn and Matt Serra are not technical strikers, just guys with heavy hands, and they hurt him. The key with them is that GSP was reluctant to take them down because of their sub skills off of their backs. So, it may take a BJJ expert with great striking to do the trick--and it's no surprise that a guy like that would be tough for anyone.

Post #17   1/8/08 10:19:32AM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:

Posted by fullerene
So, it may take a BJJ expert with great striking to do the trick--and it's no surprise that a guy like that would be tough for anyone.

Nick Diaz

Post #18   1/8/08 10:25:27AM   

jomatty

In Full Mount

jomatty Avatar

Career:137-79
Camp: bet the rent
Chips:
you guys are too tough on karo for not wanting to fight fitch before getting his title shot. this guy has already earned one title shot and had it taken away. all athletes think along these lines, karo was just honest and admitted it. do you think that when people say "ill fight anyone" that they mean it? well some do but for most it is just the party line...

Post #19   1/8/08 10:34:39AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,590-1,480
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Boo_Radley21

It's true that if Karo is scared of Fitch he has no shot at GSP. And as someone said before this after their first fight I can't see Karo beating GSP. Especially considering the way GSP has gotten even better since their fight,

i dont know that karo is scared of fitch per se, but i think hes worried about losing a second title shot that hes waited a helluva long time for. he knows fitch is tough and could beat him, and lets face it, the pinnacle of MMA that guys are srtiving for right now is a UFC belt.
on to nick diaz who was mentioned earlier, his last two fights have made it appear that his striking is not only not improving, but getting worse. there was a time not too long ago where his hands were as accurate as just about anyones in MMA, this hasnt been true since he signed with elitexc, not to mention the fact that his power(which was never that good to begin with), is also seemingly worse. maybe its cuttting extra weight, but it looks like hed have a tough time KOing one of us at this point. until i see him put on a DECENT showing in elitexc, hes not going to be anywhere near my top 15 or so.

EDIT: ok i got sidetracked from the topic. karo could beat gsp, hes one of only a handful that realistically could, but the chances are slim. karo is a favorite of mine and i still wouldnt put more than a gentlemans bet on him because i think GSP learned a valuable lesson about underestimating your opponent when serra beat him. the only guy id give even a 33% chance of beating GSP right now is fitch, unfortunately i dont think his buddy kos can teach him anything that will help him beat GSP because nothing kos did worked at all.

Last edited 1/8/08 11:31AM server time by cowcatcher
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #20   1/8/08 11:26:23AM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
GSP vs karo= KO, karo gets up and fulls again

Post #21   1/8/08 12:42:33PM   

ocho-cinco

In Full Mount

ocho-cinco Avatar

Career:994-597
Camp: nelson top team
Chips:

Posted by fullerene

A guy who loses to every person who takes top position on him isn't going to beat a guy who takes top position on everybody. Plus, GSP has already beat Karo.

I think GSP's one apparent weakness is his chin. He has beaten more good quality wrestlers than good quality strikers. If someone is going to beat him I think they will do it by keeping the fight standing and doing damage while there. BJ Penn and Matt Serra are not technical strikers, just guys with heavy hands, and they hurt him. The key with them is that GSP was reluctant to take them down because of their sub skills off of their backs. So, it may take a BJJ expert with great striking to do the trick--and it's no surprise that a guy like that would be tough for anyone.

Sounds like your discribing Anderson Silva. I hope that fight happens someday.

Post #22   1/8/08 2:16:03PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
WRONG!!!

GSP are kicked Karo's butt. Karo has gotten better since then, but GSP has become a pound 4 pound canidate since then. YOUR FORGETTING ABOUT FITCH!!

Karo's scared of Fitch, that's why he won't fight him. But Dana I doubt will give him a title shot before Fitch. But both have beaten the rest of the division besides each other and GSP.

Fitch is a monster. Nobody has ever even fairly beat Diego before(Staph against Kos) and Fitch dominated him! Fitch would do the same to Karo.

Like I have always said. Fitch will be champ by the end of 08 or early 09 when he gets that title shot! He has the perfect style to beat GSP. He's a one dimensional wrestler like Kos or Hughes so he's better then them and will stand a better chance.

He will destroy GSP

Post #23   1/8/08 5:12:23PM   

soundboy1

Standup Guy

soundboy1 Avatar

Career:521-395
Chips:
my point being GSP is nearly indestructible but I think the one person who complements his style the most is karo.(i had forgotten about fitch) the next move for GSP is to drop a weight class or move up(preferably move up)
The Serra fight will be interesting but quick.

Post #24   1/8/08 5:52:57PM   

SpiderSilva

Reminder: steelers suck!!!

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,855-1,155
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I would have to say Mike Swick has a chance just do to he not only was running though MW fighters but he almost KOed Okami

with his reach vs GSP that could be a fight some time down the road

Karo has improved through the years but GSP is almost on another level on improvements
Or even Fitch vs Swick most likely Fitch would win but that would e a fight

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #25   1/8/08 7:46:34PM   

billy393

Learning to Sprawl

billy393 Avatar

Career:974-562
Chips:
If GSP can dominate Hughes on the ground in his last 2 fights, I am pretty sure he would have to make a huge mistake to lose against Karo. Stand up I think GSP has too many weapons.

Conclude - GSP would have to make a big mistake (Serra) to lose against Karo.

Last edited 1/9/08 5:00AM server time by billy393
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #26   1/9/08 4:59:47AM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:

Posted by jomatty

you guys are too tough on karo for not wanting to fight fitch before getting his title shot. this guy has already earned one title shot and had it taken away. all athletes think along these lines, karo was just honest and admitted it. do you think that when people say "ill fight anyone" that they mean it? well some do but for most it is just the party line...

Chuck Liddell is a good example lol.

He was number one contender for a title shot and didn't have to fight Babalu and risk losing his shot but he did anyway and knocked him out. But the fact is he took a risk and earned a good KO win on his record against a really good opponent.

Parisyan should do the same because it's making him look bad wanting to sit around and do nothing IMO. If he was confident he can win the title he should be able to beat Fitch and should fight him. It's gonna be a while until he gets a shot anyway, so why not fight someone good in the meantime?

Post #27   1/9/08 9:22:30AM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Posted by jomatty

Chuck Liddell is a good example lol.

He was number one contender for a title shot and didn't have to fight Babalu and risk losing his shot but he did anyway and knocked him out. But the fact is he took a risk and earned a good KO win on his record against a really good opponent.

Parisyan should do the same because it's making him look bad wanting to sit around and do nothing IMO. If he was confident he can win the title he should be able to beat Fitch and should fight him. It's gonna be a while until he gets a shot anyway, so why not fight someone good in the meantime?

...because its a stupid risk.........why knock someone down the ladder when the winner of GSP vs Karo can fight Fitch?

Karo isnt afraid of anyone...im sure if Fitch was champion he would be first in line to wanna fight him also....Jon Fitch is a good wrestler,but i dont give him the upper hand against Karo striking....and I think Karo has better takedown defense than Diego........and Fitch didnt dominate Diego...and he was also in big trouble when he fought Carneiro till he caught him and that guy basically quit and gave up his back..

If Karo comes in shape like when he fought Burkman I give him the edge against Fitch........but against GSP...I think GSP is too big for 170...I dont know how he does it,but he looks like a solid 190-195+ when he fights....I would really like to see GSP at MW

Post #28   1/9/08 12:35:09PM   

sillysnail

MMA Regular

Career:19-9
Chips:
the point is that if he wants a shot at the title, which we presume to belong to the best fighter in the ww divsion, he should have no hesitations in fighting ANYONE in the division, especially someone who isn't the champ. every fight involves risk, and if karo's not willing to take that risk then he doesnt deserve a title shot. you cant expect to be the champ if you aren't willing to fight when the title isn't on the line.

and what do you mean knock someone down the ladder? you're acting as if karo and gsp should be fighting for a shot at fitch when it should be the other way around. winner of karo vs. fitch gets gsp (at this point gsp will have his belt back) the logic here seems a little backwards.

Post #29   1/9/08 5:04:28PM   

soundboy1

Standup Guy

soundboy1 Avatar

Career:521-395
Chips:
fine karo should fight fitch.
fitch would win.

Post #30   1/9/08 11:12:53PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3