Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

In depth interview with Randy

Print  
Posted By Message

Bemin

Touch gloves, and good fight!

Bemin Avatar

Career:140-118
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
I know many are fed up with Randy and the situation between him and the UFC, but I thought this was a very good interview and Randy touches on a lot of subjects I haven't heard him talk about before. Its a bit long but a good read.

----------------------------------------------------------------

PDG: You began your career as a wrestler and stepped into mixed martial arts when there really wasn’t much to it. Since then it has become the fastest growing sport in the world, and you have become a legend. What is it like for you to be known worldwide and be considered one of the greats of the sport?
Randy: I don’t really think about it, I’m still the same person that I’ve always been. I just kind of do what I do – I like to train in the gym and I like to work with these fighters and I like to fight. I kind of entered this sport on a whim from the wrestling world because it looked intriguing and I saw some other wrestlers doing it and the whole thing kind of just took on a whole life of its own.

There have been a lot of sacrifices. The travel and the time away from family, the celebrity [status], and the demands of this professional sport cost me a marriage. I feel very blessed now to have Kim in my life. My current wife – the love that she has and the support that she has, is amazing. Together we have taken it to another level.

But it’s a little overwhelming to be recognized everywhere you go sometimes. I’ve been stopped in airports, stopped in the grocery store… it doesn’t really matter. It’s just overwhelming at times, but when you think about it it is also kind of cool. The fans are fantastic and they just have a genuine passion and love for the sport – as do I, so we share that. So it’s not bad at all.

Link

Last edited 1/8/08 12:37PM server time by dothemmath
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   1/6/08 2:44:59AM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
PDG: So that is the only fight left that you want?
Randy: At this stage of things, yes that is the only fight I want. I think that if that fight doesn’t happen then you will see me retire. I have been competing not to win titles, but purely for the love of competition and fighting guys that I thought were interesting to fight. Out of all the guys out there right now Fedor is the guy I want to fight. Win or lose I’ll probably retire after that fight and focus on all of that other stuff. At 44 right now, I’ll be 45 when that fight happens, that will be the best fight in my opinion to go out on either way.

Post #2   1/6/08 3:58:46AM   

jomatty

In Full Mount

jomatty Avatar

Career:137-79
Camp: bet the rent
Chips:
good interview especially the first parts that you have to click back to find. really terrible of the ufc to be blackballing his fighters and refusing to film wandy in randy's gym. it really sucks that they would try to force someone to fight using those tactics but i suppose it doesnt surprise me.

Post #3   1/6/08 4:19:23AM   

Bemin

Touch gloves, and good fight!

Bemin Avatar

Career:140-118
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Yup here is part1 and 2 if you are interested.

Part 1

Part 2

Post #4   1/6/08 4:26:18AM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,456-1,139
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:
I like Randy and all. But this interview makes him sound two faced. First he says that a fight is still a fight when talking about Fedor and HMC but then says there is only one fight that makes sence for him. Whatever happened to his talk years ago about I will fight anyone.

And then he has the nerve to say Nogeria isn't good enough to fight him.

And then he says that the UFC is only interested in expanding thier own brand, true, but so is Randy with his gyms and clothing.

I am sorry but Randy only seams to care about what is good for him not the sport.

Post #5   1/6/08 12:37:04PM   

backalley101

bARE pALM bOMBS

backalley101 Avatar

Career:2,093-1,280
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
You say he's only interested in his own interests. Do you blame him? He sacrificed a lot for MMA and the UFC. You want him to be like all the other fighters and just get paid what Dana White feels he should get paid? When he offers Fedor, like what, three million dollars. That's like a slap in the face! And now they blackball his gym. Who really is the bullshitter?Hmmm. WAR, RANDY, WAR!!!
RANDY DESERVES MORE RESPECT FROM THE ufc THAN THAT!!!

Last edited 1/6/08 7:00PM server time by backalley101
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   1/6/08 6:57:18PM   

quezocrema0032

In Full Mount

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:1,904-1,018
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Well the way i see it is he's not two faced ... years ago he would fite neone ... the ufc wanted him to fight now he's the 44 years old he's not gona waste time on a nogeria a guy thats not intresting match up ... he beat syliva the acwardly tall fighter whos a striker then he beat the ginormous gonzaga who can knock u out standing is better on the ground then nething what does nogeria offer that these 2 dont ? he just wants 2 fite fedor i dont blame him ... not in the least couture did so much for the sport now let him get what he wants

Post #7   1/6/08 8:25:55PM