Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

GSP ranked #1 WW in the world by MMAweekly and Sherdog

Print  
  Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

Tailgunner

MMA Regular

Tailgunner Avatar

Career:143-80
Chips:
GSP has knocked Serra off the number 1 position FINALLY, I wonder where Serra will rank after he loses to GSP and then Hughes?

Last edited 1/8/08 12:31PM server time by dothemmath
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   1/5/08 5:24:25PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:1,944-989
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Serra will go back at the 25th spot after his lost against GSP at Montreal !!

but for the moment, i keep Serra #1 in my ranking, like GSP said, it is Serra the champ .

Post #2   1/5/08 5:27:10PM   

Porch28

BANNED

Porch28 Avatar

Career:506-292
Chips:
I love how everyone thinks Serra is going to lose. I could swear he be the crap out of GSP who was heavily favored last time. Georges will fall again. Don't under estimate Serra. He is the Champ!!!!!!!!

Post #3   1/5/08 5:38:15PM   

Tailgunner

MMA Regular

Tailgunner Avatar

Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

but for the moment, i keep Serra #1 in my ranking, like GSP said, it is Serra the champ .

Well your MMA math is odd then, one fight does not make you #1 in the world. It might make you the UFC champ but thats it.

Post #4   1/5/08 5:59:28PM   

kevietre

Belt Contender

kevietre Avatar

Career:665-468
Chips:

Posted by Porch28

I love how everyone thinks Serra is going to lose. I could swear he be the crap out of GSP who was heavily favored last time. Georges will fall again. Don't under estimate Serra. He is the Champ!!!!!!!!

Its def. possible. A lot of people are counting out Serra. Look at the first fight. GSP destroyed Hughes at 65 and Serra said "Im not getting caught up in what he did to Matt Hughes GOOD He's not going to do that to me!" Now GSP destroyed Hughes at 79 and we're in the same situation.

I like Serra a lot but I don't think he deserves to be ranked #1 just because you had one upset for the title. GSP is has faced and defeated tougher competition than Serra. I can't wait for this fight it's going to be a war this time instead of a quick KO.

Post #5   1/5/08 6:16:43PM   

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Career:868-562
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
Yeah I'm curious to Serra's game plan for this one. Seriously where can he beat GSP, unless he rattles him with that 1/100 bomb and capitalizes, is there anything he can actually do? I give him credit for that win, but he's in way over his head. GSP made Hughes look like he was 100 lbs the way he controlled him all over the octagon and that's Matt Hughes, I hate him but he's a strong mofo. Serra is gonna walk into the Bell Centre and its gonna blow his mind. It's going be the most red and white he's ever seen. 20,000 + drunk as hell Candians all in his face. Serra should feel like he's on death row, it's inevitable GSP WW champ .

Post #6   1/5/08 6:23:48PM   

tuvok500

tuvok500 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Tailgunner

Posted by tuvok500

Well your MMA math is odd then, one fight does not make you #1 in the world. It might make you the UFC champ but thats it.

No no man, the UFC WW Champ is the #1 in the world, there is no other WW champ somewhere else who can even be ranked in the top 5 of the UFC WW division.

Serra is the Champ so he is # 1 but because he really just WON is place to a title shot instead of moving up slowly like normally, he will go back at his original place where he was before.

an internet ranking like Sherdog and MMAweekly are just not credible .
2 guys fighting in the same organization can not be reversed in the ranking like that without having fight to determine the champ, we are talking about the guy with the belt, how can a guy in the same organization can be rank higher without having beat the champ and won the belt ?? it is just ridiculous.

Serra is not retire yet i think.

Last edited 1/5/08 6:51PM server time by tuvok500
2 total post edits

Post #7   1/5/08 6:30:28PM   

MacAttack27

Learning to Sprawl

Career:480-286
Camp: Xtreme Couture
Chips:
Anybody coming to Montreal in April for the fights?

Post #8   1/5/08 6:55:15PM   

Tailgunner

MMA Regular

Tailgunner Avatar

Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by Tailgunner

Posted by tuvok500

No no man, the UFC WW Champ is the #1 in the world, there is no other WW champ somewhere else who can even be ranked in the top 5 of the UFC WW division.

Serra is the Champ so he is # 1 but because he really just WON is place to a title shot instead of moving up slowly like normally, he will go back at his original place where he was before.

2 guys fighting in the same organization can not be reversed in the ranking like that without having fight to determine the champ, we are talking about the guy with the belt, how can a guy in the same organization can be rank higher without having beat the champ and won the belt ?? it is just ridiculous.

Actually its not so ridiculous when you think about who GSP has beaten compared to Serra.

GSP has beaten more top ten fighters in the last 3 years than any other current fighter in MMA and thats a fact.

Who has Serra beaten? How many top ten fighters has Serra fought in the last 3 years?

MMAweekly and Sherdog rankings are correct tuvok except Serra should be ranked below the top five.

Post #9   1/5/08 7:05:40PM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

What does holding a "belt" in one particular MMA organization have to do with being the best MMA fighter in the world?

Post #10   1/5/08 7:41:46PM   

tuvok500

tuvok500 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Tailgunner

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by Tailgunner

Posted by tuvok500

Actually its not so ridiculous when you think about who GSP has beaten compared to Serra.

GSP has beaten more top ten fighters in the last 3 years than any other current fighter in MMA and thats a fact.

Who has Serra beaten? How many top ten fighters has Serra fought in the last 3 years?

MMAweekly and Sherdog rankings are correct tuvok except Serra should be ranked below the top five.

I know that Serra have beated almost nobody but Serra was ranked #1 just because of 1 win over GSP so why suddently his win and his UFC belt should be no longer enough to be #1 ahead of GSP ??
last time i check GSP did not beat Serra yet.
If they were really ranked the fighters acording to there past years record they were not suppose to have Serra #1 for 1 year now, his record was not better by that time.

i hate Serra but i am also fair and the guy with the belt is ranked higher than the others guys specially when they fight in the same organization ( UFC ) .

Post #11   1/5/08 7:43:16PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:
Weird how this is in the news forum and not somewhere else but any ways

Serra could win and having the fight in Canada plays into Serra's hands far more then GSP's imo.
The pressure may get to GSP which could result in another quote un quote "upset".
If GSP thinks he had pressure going into the first fight he is in for a rude awakening in this one. GSP will be hyped and excited but if he stands with Serra I think we will have the same outcome. Fact of the matter is I really feel GSP's stand up is not nearly as good as people believe and Serra has better hands on him no matter what the reach.
Goes to the ground i think gsp has the advantage in GnP not jits but he can prolly GnP him to a win or lay on him trying to finish him and go to a UD.
I really dislike Matt Serra a lot but I'm sure Serra will be a huge underdog and if GSP stands with him and gets hit in the face and feels the carpet being pulled out from under him he may go into panic mode again.
Worried for GSP but this could pull right into Hughes hand as he may get the shot at Serra if everything goes down hill.
Could get interesting.

Post #12   1/5/08 7:46:15PM   

Tailgunner

MMA Regular

Tailgunner Avatar

Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

I know that Serra have beated almost nobody but Serra was ranked #1 just because of 1 win over GSP so why suddently his win and his UFC belt should be no longer enough to be #1 ahead of GSP ??
last time i check GSP did not beat Serra yet.
If they were really ranked the fighters acording to there past years record they were not suppose to have Serra #1 for 1 year now, his record was not better by that time.

i hate Serra but i am also fair and the guy with the belt is ranked higher than the others guys specially when they fight in the same organization ( UFC ) .

Your logic is flawed because Randy couture(who IS the current HW UFC champ) beat Tim Sylvia and Gonzaga, Fedor hasn't beat ANYONE recently in the UFC yet he is ranked #1 by everyone

Last edited 1/5/08 7:50PM server time by Tailgunner

Post #13   1/5/08 7:48:38PM   

tuvok500

tuvok500 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by silverbullet

Posted by tuvok500

What does holding a "belt" in one particular MMA organization have to do with being the best MMA fighter in the world?

It is only fairness, if you still rank the loser of a fight higher than the winner, well, i really don't want to fight for you.

when we have many champ of many organization, well, you have to put the champ of the tuffer organization in #1 after that you go down slowly, but if you have a fighter of the same organization of the champ , you can not ranked him higher, it is like saying that the champ have already lose the fight against the challenger.

i know that Serra will be destroy in Montreal but i will wait to see the belt around GSP's body before removing Serra of the top.

and because Serra got his title shot without climming the ranking normally, i will bring back Serra close to where he was before fighting GSP in first place.

Post #14   1/5/08 7:54:38PM   

Tailgunner

MMA Regular

Tailgunner Avatar

Chips:

Posted by DevonFoxy

Fact of the matter is I really feel GSP's stand up is not nearly as good as people believe and Serra has better hands on him no matter what the reach.
Goes to the ground i think gsp has the advantage in GnP not jits but he can prolly GnP him to a win or lay on him trying to finish him and go to a UD.
I.

How do people come up with this nonsense...

GSP has 5 TKOS and 3 Subs
Serra has 2 TKOS and 1 Sub.

How can anyone think Serra has better hands or ground game than GSP??

The facts are clear GSP is better in EVERY regards and if he didn't lose to Serra we wouldn't even be discussing this.

Post #15   1/5/08 7:55:51PM   

Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4