Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

They Never Came to Fruition

Print  
Posted By Message

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:
After watching UFC 79 and hearing all of the discussion about how Matt Hughes and Matt Serra were originally supposed to fight but Serra pulled out with an injury, I got to thinking. It wasn’t the first time that a situation like that occurred.

So I sat down and did some research. There were actually a good number of fights in the UFC that were signed and slated to happen but ended up not taking place for one reason or another. The final number was a lot higher than I expected so I went ahead and narrowed the list down to the fights that would have been the best if they were to happen at the time.

So here they are. I’ve sorted them starting with the most recent and excluding Hughes-Serra. Each instance is pretty interesting.

I will narrow the match-ups and list them without an explonation(i provided the info on the tito vs vitor fight because we all know this fight ended up happening afterall, but its dieffernt time), if you want it on detail just go to the link-->

LINK

Evan Tanner vs Jeremy Horn (UFC 59):

Matt Hughes vs Karo Parisyan (UFC 56):

Rich Franklin vs Matt Lindland (UFC 56):

Patrick Cote vs Lee Murray (UFC 52):

Ken Shamrock vs Ian Freeman (UFC 43) :

Evan Tanner vs Vladimir Matyushenko (UFC 38):

Randy Couture vs Mark Coleman (UFC 17):

Tito Ortiz vs Vitor Belfort (UFC 33): We all know that Ortiz ended up beating Belfort at UFC 51 but what would have happened if an emotional problem-free Belfort on the roll that made him famous locked horns with the seemingly unbeatable at the time Ortiz? It would have been a fight for the ages and it almost happened at UFC 33 until Belfort ended up breaking his arm three weeks before the event. Vladimir Matyushenko stepped in to face Ortiz for the title and ultimately lost a decision to the champ.

Ken Shamrock vs Tank Abbott (Ultimate Ultimate 1996), Tito Ortiz vs Guy Mezger (UFC 50), Frank Mir vs Andrei Arlovski (UFC 51), Don Frye vs Kimo Leopoldo (Ultimate Ultimate 96)

Post #1   1/5/08 12:55:54AM   

lopedogg

Learning to Sprawl

lopedogg Avatar

Career:424-236
Camp: KansasCity
Chips:
wow you have a lot of time on your hands......but good post

Post #2   1/5/08 11:23:33AM