Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Sherdog Announces Its 2007 Fighter Of The Year

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Sherdog has announced its choice for its 2007 Fighter Of the Year, and beating out serious competition to earn the honor is current UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Quinton "Rampage" Jackson.

Article

Last edited 1/8/08 12:43PM server time by dothemmath
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   1/3/08 10:37:02AM   

GlancyMMA

MMA Regular

GlancyMMA Avatar

Career:402-238
Chips:
I don't want to disrespect Rampage Jackson, he is definately a first class fighter and has done great things this year.

However, Fighter of the Year? Granted he toppled Lidell from his thrown and made a hell of an enterance into the UFC.

But with 3 fights this year.

- Mavin Eastman being one I would like to discount as a bi-entry into the organization.

- the Lidell fight was a good solid performance

- but with a decision over Hendo.... (again noting this is quite a feat.)

I don't think this should overshadow Anderson Silva's year with 2 title defence TKOs (minus Lutter for being a dumbass) including a second dominating win over Rick Franklin and a war with Marquardt. Also submitting a BJJ Black Belt (Lutter) in dominating fashion.

I think this has got to be Silva's year. He really performed against 3 quality opponents (MMA Weekly has it right).

Post #2   1/3/08 1:13:56PM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:

Posted by GlancyMMA

I don't want to disrespect Rampage Jackson, he is definately a first class fighter and has done great things this year.

However, Fighter of the Year? Granted he toppled Lidell from his thrown and made a hell of an enterance into the UFC.

- Mavin Eastman being one I would like to discount as a bi-entry into the organization.

I don't think this should overshadow Anderson Silva's year with 2 title defence TKOs (minus Lutter for being a dumbass) including a second dominating win over Rick Franklin and a war with Marquardt. Also submitting a BJJ Black Belt (Lutter) in dominating fashion.

I think this has got to be Silva's year. He really performed against 3 quality opponents (MMA Weekly has it right).

Nope, sorry i strongly disagree

Chuck and Hendo are much better PBP fighters than Franklin and Nate, no way can you give it to Silva instead imho!

The only possible should be Randy as the Sylvia fight was fantastic but the GG fight eclipsed that achievement and while theres just 2 fights they are more impressive than Rampages 2 main ones IMO

Post #3   1/3/08 1:21:33PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
I agree on Silva, he was by far the most dominant fighter in any weight class this year. He's becoming to the MW division what Hughes was during his dominance as WW Champion.

Post #4   1/3/08 2:08:47PM   

babytater03

In Full Mount

babytater03 Avatar

Career:1,007-642
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
i agree much more with Cornish.
Both of Randy's fights were strong, energizing, powerful fights and he looked like the baddest 44 year old on the plantet.

Silva is a good candidate as well, but i have to give it to The Natural for 2 amazing fights.

Post #5   1/3/08 3:22:58PM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Career:1,261-841
Chips:

Posted by GlancyMMA

Spot on.

Silva totally dominated in 2007 - no one even came close to him in his division.

Post #6   1/3/08 3:26:19PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by CornishMMA

Posted by GlancyMMA

Nope, sorry i strongly disagree

Chuck and Hendo are much better PBP fighters than Franklin and Nate, no way can you give it to Silva instead imho!

The only possible should be Randy as the Sylvia fight was fantastic but the GG fight eclipsed that achievement and while theres just 2 fights they are more impressive than Rampages 2 main ones IMO

yea but silva dominated his fight plus hendo v rampage was way to close to call , they should have a rematch

Post #7   1/3/08 9:41:56PM