Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Randy Couture’s incorrect proclamation

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:
LINK

During a recent HDNet Fights card, Randy Couture publicly announced that he would be free to fight Fedor Emelianenko come October 2008.

UFC President Dana White completely disagrees.

“I expect Randy Couture to honor his contract. He is the heavyweight champion of the UFC. Until he either retires or fulfills his contract, he fights for the UFC,” said White.

White already knows the next fight that will be lined up for Couture.

“Nogueira and Sylvia are fighting for the interim title, and the winner will fight Randy.”

EDIT: i just found another piece of info that i tought was very interesting

this is from bloody elbow

The most notable part comes at the end, when Dana says Randy is still heavyweight champ, and the Nogueira/Sylvia fight is for the interim title.

UFC contracts have "champions clauses" in them that extend the contract by a year or more if the fighter is still champion when the contract expires. Until things are settled or worked out, they won't strip him, because it stops him from fighting for another full year from July.

Last edited 1/8/08 12:45PM server time by dothemmath
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #1   1/2/08 6:29:59PM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:
for the link you just have to scroll down a little bit, its from UFC 79 news and quotes, there are also alot of interesting things about different subjects...takanori gomi is also mentioned as he was present in UFC 79

“I’ve wanted to sign Takanori Gomi for a long time. I am very interested in him"

At UFC 79, Gomi had ringside seats. Was it just a coincidence or was Gomi at the arena to talk to White?

“Gomi was just here to watch the fights,” White said, “He did stop by and say hello though.”

Last edited 1/2/08 6:37PM server time by juanez13

Post #2   1/2/08 6:35:16PM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:
5 weight classes, 8 belts... Awesome!

Post #3   1/2/08 6:51:22PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Just curious why Dana's contracts have time length if the guys are "under his control" until they retire or fight?

Post #4   1/2/08 7:03:30PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:2,065-1,066
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Just curious why Dana's contracts have time length if the guys are "under his control" until they retire or fight?

man , it is easy to understand.

suppose you sigh a contract with me , you agree to fight 4 fights in a range of 2 years ( the range is to not have a guy on the bench 4 years for nothing ) and i accept to paid you 250000$ per fight so 1 million for 4 fights.

now what are your obligation :

1- you have to fight the 4 fights that i ask you to fight.

2- you can not go to fight someones elses as long as you have complete your part of the contract. ( fighting 4 fights against the opponents that i give you )

now what are my obligation :

1- i have to give you 4 opponent to fight in a maximuum range of 2 years
( i can not just bench you for 3 years because i have no opponent for you. )

2- i have to paid you 250000$ per fight like stipuled in the contract.

so, in order for you to go out of the contract, you will have to prove that i was not able to gave you 4 fights in the range of 2 years and you want to go out to sigh a contract with someones elses to feed your familly.

or

you will have to prove that i did not paid you 250000$ per fights like stipilate in the contract.

Now, what Dana said is perfectly right.
he did offer to Couture a third fight,( the 4th one would have also follow for sure ) and it is Couture who refuse it, so basically Couture broke is signature.

Now it is the UFC who can decide to go in court to have a compensation for break of contract or they can simply decide to give a chance to Couture to do his 2 others fights by simply waiting the time it will take to Couture to accept to fight.

in this case, the guy who break his contract is clearly Couture and his futur is link to the good willing of the UFC to accept to release him if they want to exchange the last 2 fights for some money or if they refuse to exchange the 2 fight for anything elses and they are just waiting as long as it will take to have there 2 fights by Couture.

Couture can not just decide to not honor his contract and believing that the 2 years delay will stay there even if he refuse to fight.

even an Hollywood agent with 10 lawyers will not be able to prove that it is the UFC who have broke there part of the contract and Couture can go aways like that.

Last edited 1/2/08 10:44PM server time by tuvok500

Post #5   1/2/08 7:49:59PM   

ufcboss

In Full Mount

ufcboss Avatar

Career:404-246
Chips:
Randy and Fedor should just buy a Cage, Set it up at home, Have their fight and then post it on Youtube.

Would that break the contract?

Post #6   1/2/08 7:50:33PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,550-909
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
What if Couture does it anyway?

Are they going to throw him in prison?

Post #7   1/2/08 8:20:57PM   

tuvok500

tuvok500 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

What if Couture does it anyway?

Are they going to throw him in prison?

Well, a contract broken mean alot of moneys to pay to the UFC for sure.

couture will have to sell one of his 11 bathroom !! lol

Last edited 1/2/08 11:33PM server time by tuvok500

Post #8   1/2/08 8:44:41PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,550-909
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
If it means fighting Fedor,I say go with it.

Post #9   1/2/08 8:46:36PM   

duggy

MMA Regular

duggy Avatar

Career:1,673-897
Chips:

Posted by ufcboss

Randy and Fedor should just buy a Cage, Set it up at home, Have their fight and then post it on Youtube.

that was a thought that crossed my mind when this whole fiasco started. if the two men genuinely wanted to fight, why cant they make it happen for free, like a smoker, and post that ish online. they both have plenty of money and could continue on with their lives and fight other contenders. fedor says he wants it, randy says he wants it... they could go "train together" and just set up a sparring match consisting of no head gear, 5 5 minute rounds, and a ref.

and then i woke up.

Post #10   1/2/08 8:55:57PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
Tuvok brought up a lot of good points in his post and I'm glad he cleared it up. It's true that it's Randy going against what he agreed on in his contract, and he's the one who's not honouring the commitment he made. The UFC probably would win if it went to court, so Randy should just fight and make the money, then at the end of the year fight Fedor. I'd say that's better than having to pay money to the UFC (if that's what Tuvok meant)

Post #11   1/2/08 9:39:54PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by duggy

Posted by ufcboss

that was a thought that crossed my mind when this whole fiasco started. if the two men genuinely wanted to fight, why cant they make it happen for free, like a smoker, and post that ish online. they both have plenty of money and could continue on with their lives and fight other contenders. fedor says he wants it, randy says he wants it... they could go "train together" and just set up a sparring match consisting of no head gear, 5 5 minute rounds, and a ref.

and then i woke up.

i wish but MONEY means to much,

Post #12   1/2/08 9:47:36PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
I agree with everything Dana said and the awards. I hope they do sign Gomi. See how he does against the UFC stacked division but my guess? Not very well with that gas tank and how fast these LW's go. I couldn't see him putting Griffin, Edgar, Sherk, BJ, or Joe to sleep. Others too I think would outwork him.

I think this whole thing with Randy is dumb. Randy needs to stop being such a teenage drama queen. He claims his whole reason of protesting against the UFC is for lack of respect and them not signing Fedor. The UFC had a whole day to celebrate Randy the thursday before UFC 74. Fedor didn't sign because he didn't want too and it's not Dana's fight. I think he should just keep his mouth shut and fight the contract off and then fight Fedor in M-1. and then comeback. It's not that hard. If he thinks he's good enough to hang with Fedor he should clear the UFC and make it a true UFC vs PRIDE HW best showdown. But until thenn, I still think Nog would beat him.

Dana is the man!

Post #13   1/2/08 9:59:01PM   

BIGKAT

Banned

Career:267-177
Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by cmill21

suppose you sigh a contract with me , you agree to fight 4 fights in a range of 2 years ( the range is to not have a guy on the bench 4 years for nothing ) and i accept to paid you 25000$ per fight so 1 million for 4 fights.

25,000 x 4 = 1 million?

Want to give me change for $99,999?

Last edited 1/2/08 10:22PM server time by bigkat

Post #14   1/2/08 10:17:56PM   

tuvok500

tuvok500 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BIGKAT

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by cmill21

suppose you sigh a contract with me , you agree to fight 4 fights in a range of 2 years ( the range is to not have a guy on the bench 4 years for nothing ) and i accept to paid you 25000$ per fight so 1 million for 4 fights.

25,000 x 4 = 1 million?

Want to give me change for $99,999?

LOL !!

i forgot a 0 !!

it is edited now !!

Last edited 1/2/08 10:45PM server time by tuvok500

Post #15   1/2/08 10:44:20PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2