Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Fedor Emelianenko: Fight with Randy Couture “Will Take Place”

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Bemin

Touch gloves, and good fight!

Bemin Avatar

Career:140-118
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Randy Couture wants the fight. Fedor Emeliananeko wants it too. And according to the top-ranked Russian fighter, he fully expects the heavyweight battle to happen sometime soon.

While being interviewed for Monday’s “Yarennoka!” event in Japan, Emeliananeko was asked about the likelihood of him facing Couture in the next year. Couture, the UFC’s heavyweight champion, resigned from the organization in October but has recently stated that he wants to fight Emeliananeko. The 44-year-old UFC hall-of-famer says it’s the one final thing he wants to accomplish before he retires.

Emelianenko loves the idea.

Link

Not too much new here, just more to support that this fight will indeed take place post Oct of this year. Maybe another Yarranoka style event on New Years Eve with Randy/Fedor headlining?? If they do get these two together this time it will happen in the US so we don't have to stay up all night to watch it

Last edited 1/8/08 12:47PM server time by dothemmath
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #1   12/31/07 11:22:09PM   

ohiostate1016

MMA Sensei

ohiostate1016 Avatar

Career:826-528
Camp: Sporting News Assassins
Chips:
I don't know about everyone else, but I still want to see this fight. Randy/Fedor is the next big fight after we already saw Chuck/Wandy.

Post #2   12/31/07 11:31:03PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
Not so excited about this fight anymore.

Post #3   1/1/08 12:53:56AM   

HeadhunterRed

Banned

Career:11-3
Chips:
i'm not excited to watch randy lose again, but i'll watch it because its "such a big deal"

Post #4   1/1/08 3:06:46AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,471-1,565
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
The question is cage or ring...and under what rules...Randy can be devastating with knees to the head of a downed opponent, just ask Belfort!!

Post #5   1/1/08 4:34:28AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

The question is cage or ring...and under what rules...Randy can be devastating with knees to the head of a downed opponent, just ask Belfort!!

In all honesty the ring and the pride rules hurt Randy so much. It would take place in the ring since the UFC already said no to it, and I think that deminishes Randy's chances signifacantly. To me the guys who switch promotions and it has a different enviroment it's like playing your whole life on olympic sized ice and when you switch to NHL sized your time and space is severly reduced making you look bad until you adjust. This was the best comparison I could think of because it's happend about 1 trillion times.

Post #6   1/1/08 5:09:36AM   

DJDark41

MMA Sensei

DJDark41 Avatar

Career:363-219
Camp: The Pit
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Posted by jae_1833

In all honesty the ring and the pride rules hurt Randy so much. It would take place in the ring since the UFC already said no to it, and I think that deminishes Randy's chances signifacantly. To me the guys who switch promotions and it has a different enviroment it's like playing your whole life on olympic sized ice and when you switch to NHL sized your time and space is severly reduced making you look bad until you adjust. This was the best comparison I could think of because it's happend about 1 trillion times.

Same thing happens with players who come from the European Leagues into the NHL. Its not easy to adjust, but it is possible. If they fought in a cage, I think Couture would have the advantage, but in the ring Fedor would have it. I think fighting under PRIDE rules(without the elbows)would give Randy a huge disadvantage of not being able to smash Fedor with the elbows if he gets him down. Hope it happens soon, and it'll be an interesting fight.

Post #7   1/1/08 12:03:21PM   

mutosufan

MMA Regular

Career:33-26
Chips:
Cage + USA = Randy

Ring + Europe = Fedor

Post #8   1/1/08 2:12:25PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,431-836
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I'm still very interested in seeing this fight.However,when and "IF" it happens,i'm going with Fedor on this one.I think regardless of if it happens in a ring or a cage,Fedor is too dangerous on his back if Randy manages to get him on the ground.And on the flip side,if Fedor gets Randy on his back,I question how well Coutures BJJ would be able to negate Fedors ground and pound.

Regardless,I hope this fight does happen.

Post #9   1/1/08 2:33:08PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,471-1,565
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
The cage is such a huge part of Randy's game plan every time too, so I think you all are right. If he fights in a ring he will be totally out of his element and Fedor will have "home field advantage" so to speak. Either way, this fight should definitely happen and whoever makes it happen should try to help Randy out with the legal issues afterwards because we all know that Dana and the UFC is going to try and sue his A$$ off if this fight doesn't happen in the UFC!! (Even though they were the ones who F-ed that deal up IMO!)

Post #10   1/1/08 4:58:49PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

The cage is such a huge part of Randy's game plan every time too, so I think you all are right. If he fights in a ring he will be totally out of his element and Fedor will have "home field advantage" so to speak. Either way, this fight should definitely happen and whoever makes it happen should try to help Randy out with the legal issues afterwards because we all know that Dana and the UFC is going to try and sue his A$$ off if this fight doesn't happen in the UFC!! (Even though they were the ones who F-ed that deal up IMO!)

Absolutly nothing Dana can do once Randy's contract expires. I think this could lead to the UFC not having time limits on their contracts and just having fight contracts, which gives them even more power over guys careers.

Post #11   1/1/08 5:55:03PM   

BigTomZ

MMA Regular

BigTomZ Avatar

Career:280-166
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
They could work something out. The fight will almost definitely be in a ring, but if they fight in the US under the unified rules it might not be so much advantage for Fedor.

Post #12   1/1/08 6:36:30PM   

DoctorKilljoy

Banned

Career:19-6
Chips:

Posted by mutosufan

Cage + USA = Randy

Ring + Europe = Fedor

thats ridiculous you need to be pimp slapped

Post #13   1/1/08 6:39:27PM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

I'm still very interested in seeing this fight.However,when and "IF" it happens,i'm going with Fedor on this one.I think regardless of if it happens in a ring or a cage,Fedor is too dangerous on his back if Randy manages to get him on the ground.And on the flip side,if Fedor gets Randy on his back,I question how well Coutures BJJ would be able to negate Fedors ground and pound.

Regardless,I hope this fight does happen.

i doubt it randy's BJJ will negate fedors GnP, if Nog couldnt submitt fedor, im not sure any HW can......but yea some people are saying that they dont want to see this fight, personally i would love to see this fight, it be really interesting to see how it would go.........i say fedor takes this By 2nd round TKO..

Last edited 1/1/08 9:33PM server time by juanez13
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #14   1/1/08 9:32:44PM   

Djbb

Standup Guy

Djbb Avatar

Career:31-27
Camp: Keyboard Warriors of LMAOville
Chips:
They should make a ring surrounded by a cage and make it like anything goes except for like biting/eye gouging/low blows. That way its not Pride or UFC rules, and its not an octagon or a ring.

Post #15   1/1/08 9:54:00PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2