Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Best wrestling in MMA?

Print  
Who has the best wrestling in/for MMA?
GSP 39 65%
Kevin Randleman 1 2%
Josh Koscheck 3 5%
Matt Hughes 2 3%
Randy Couture 8 13%
Sean Sherk 7 12%
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

mrliquid

Standup Guy

mrliquid Avatar

Career:741-566
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
yea it was, no doubt he is bigger but if we are just throwing out names in different weight classes I thought he should be named he definately isnt the best but very well rounded in wrestling.

Post #16   12/30/07 11:38:30PM   

jomatty

In Full Mount

jomatty Avatar

Career:137-79
Camp: bet the rent
Chips:
cant have this discussion without talking about henderson and lindland. they are much more accomplished wrestlers than even guys like randy. you can argue about whether they use their wrestling in an mma format as well as randy but they definitely deserve mention.

anyways as far as this list and using wrestling in mma it's between gsp and couture. gsp may not be in the same league as some of these guys when it comes to wrestling for wrestlings sake but he uses it in mma as well as anyone so after what he has done to kos and hughes im voting for him.

Post #17   12/31/07 5:58:17AM   

Pinball

Learning to Sprawl

Pinball Avatar

Career:178-135
Camp: Ohio MMA
Chips:
..... with everything he said!!!

Post #18   12/31/07 10:13:08AM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:
Thinking about it, I don't even know why I even made this thread. In my opinion, GSP is easily the one who uses wrestling best in MMA.

Look at some of the guys he's taken down:
Hughes
Trigg
Sherk
Koscheck
Karo

He's dominated the wrestlers and grapplers at their own game and avoided getting taken down by them with some extraordinary sprawling skills (splits mid-air anyone?).
Really, who has GSP ever failed to take down save for Serra who he never attempted to bring to the mat.

Randleman failed to take down Rampage, Chuck, Mirko in their second fight, Tom Erickson dominated him....

Post #19   12/31/07 12:12:50PM   

focusrssvt

Learning to Sprawl

focusrssvt Avatar

Career:694-432
Camp: Florida top team
Chips:
I don't understand how people can say GSP isn't a better wrestler just because he doesn't have collegiate titles or anything. I mean the Canadian Olympic wrestling team wanted him to tryout and if it weren't for him being offered the Hughes fight he would have tried out and made it no questions I'm sure. He trains with those guys everyday and these are Olympic wrestlers that praise GSP's wrestling. That's a badass wrestler if you ask me.

Post #20   1/3/08 2:12:14PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by focusrssvt

I don't understand how people can say GSP isn't a better wrestler just because he doesn't have collegiate titles or anything. I mean the Canadian Olympic wrestling team wanted him to tryout and if it weren't for him being offered the Hughes fight he would have tried out and made it no questions I'm sure. He trains with those guys everyday and these are Olympic wrestlers that praise GSP's wrestling. That's a badass wrestler if you ask me.

Regarding your first point, the discussions of who is the better wrestler, a lot of the time, boiled down to semantics regarding what it meant to be a better or more accomplished "wrestler"

Regarding your second point, do you have any evidence he was invited to try out? Besides, I don't think his contract would allow him to compete anyways.

I watched the GSP Hughes fight today and thought, wow, GSP has done an amazing job at beating fighters at their own game. Hell, GSP vs. Hughes 3 was a perfect example. Hughes built his career off of pinning guys and ground and pounding them to a TKO or into submission. That is exactly what GSP did to Hughes this time.

Post #21   1/3/08 2:46:46PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
For me, it has to be GSP. the other fighters that i was considering for this, koscheck, hughes and sherk, were all defeated by GSP and in their losses they were out wrestled by GSP. i think sherk uses his wrestling very effectively in the LW division and always winds up LnP the whole time which seems undefeatable at this point (steroids may or may not have been a factor) however, GSP was able to beat sherk in their fight and his wrestling skills seemed to be sharper. he stuffed the acclaimed best wrestler in MMA in koscheck which i saw coming because the ufc always overhypes fighters and he out wrestled and out classed matt hughes twice. imo, there is no doubt that it is GSP and it seems that most of you agree.

Post #22   1/3/08 4:57:55PM   

seavillebri

Learning to Sprawl

seavillebri Avatar

Career:2,471-1,269
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
gsp gets my vote. he's outwrestled some of the best grapplers in mma with ease. henderson and lindland r a close second and third

Post #23   1/3/08 5:15:18PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:
Josh Koscheck with out a doubt.

I agree that maybe Henderson is a close second but i mean when you think about it who has the best wrestling its clearly Koscheck as if you take Kos's wrestling he would have won no matches as if you take away the others they can muster more then enough wins.
Im a huge Kos fan and another left off the list i suppose soon will be Brock Lesner

Kos hands down though he did take down GSP once and only shot a couple times and was stuffed mebbe twice against GSP. And taken down only twice and the third was Kos going for a half hearted take down so i disagree with the GSP picks very much so.

Post #24   1/3/08 11:48:34PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by DevonFoxy

Josh Koscheck with out a doubt.

I agree that maybe Henderson is a close second but i mean when you think about it who has the best wrestling its clearly Koscheck as if you take Kos's wrestling he would have won no matches as if you take away the others they can muster more then enough wins.
Im a huge Kos fan and another left off the list i suppose soon will be Brock Lesner

Kos hands down though he did take down GSP once and only shot a couple times and was stuffed mebbe twice against GSP. And taken down only twice and the third was Kos going for a half hearted take down so i disagree with the GSP picks very much so.

i don't know how you can pick Kos after GSP just man-handled him. GSP stuffed him more than twice and controlled him the whole fight. he totally and completely out-wrestled Kos and made him look like an amateur in wrestling. GSP pretty much took him down at will and held top position and definitely stuffed Kos's takedown more than twice. maybe you should re-watch the fightor maybe i should since we both have two totally different recollections of it. I guess we will just disagree for now

Last edited 1/4/08 12:03AM server time by jiujitsufreak74
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #25   1/4/08 12:00:20AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2