Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Heath Herring Takedown defense!!!

Print  
Posted By Message

hathcock32

In Full Mount

hathcock32 Avatar

Career:1,254-787
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:
I know its been a couple of weeks but the more i think about it the more if confuses me. Heath Herring was going into a fight with a wrestler and he expected the wrestler to bang?? If he doesesnt drill takedown defense i dont want to watch. I was sick watching that match and if made it even worst with his post fight comments!!

Post #1   2/13/07 4:09:28AM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Your right. This was a couple of weeks ago. And it is pretty much old news now. Everyone knows now that Heath Apparently had a torn ACL. This topic had already been beat to death.

Post #2   2/13/07 8:59:36AM   

gspfan31

MMA Regular

gspfan31 Avatar

Career:98-51
Chips:
i just watched some of his pride fights with igor, nog, kerr and it's clear herring had a serious injury coming into his fight with o'brian

Post #3   2/13/07 9:20:42AM   

Jeffanori-Gomi

Standup Guy

Career:34-26
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:

Posted by gspfan31

i just watched some of his pride fights with igor, nog, kerr and it's clear herring had a serious injury coming into his fight with o'brian

Joe Rogan interviewed him after and Herring had knee problems prior to the fight. Thats why his stance was all wierd because he was constantly waiting for the takedown.

Post #4   2/13/07 4:01:42PM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Career:239-153
Chips:
Heath Herring had a torn MCL (not ACL), and had difficulties with stopping O'Brien's takedowns, and this was also apparent as his guard was almost non-existant, but with all the excuses aside it's O'Brien that I'm truly ashamed of. I don't understand the UFC's idea behing bringing people in with backgrounds almost purely in freestyle wrestling, it makes for very boring fights. In this case, Herring tried keep the fight entertaining, and more importantly, actually tried to damage and finish his opponent, both on the feet and on the ground by dropping O'Brien with punches and attempting submissions, O'Brien on the other hand, did nothing. He was clearly the better wrestler, this was shown time after time in his double leg takedowns, but he could not stand and trade with Herring, and whats worse is that he barely ever tried to punch him while he was on top, or even worse yet he never attempted submissions that were right in front of him like when Herring kept giving his back (most likely wouldnt have got it against Heath anyways. I would much rather see Herring fight again than O'Brien, and the UFC needs to either stop brining in boring wrestlers, or impliment rules to punish passsivity or to attack against wreslters always attempting takedowns (knees to the head from the quarter position).

Post #5   2/13/07 5:29:28PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:

Posted by richieb19

Heath Herring had a torn MCL (not ACL), and had difficulties with stopping O'Brien's takedowns, and this was also apparent as his guard was almost non-existant, but with all the excuses aside it's O'Brien that I'm truly ashamed of. I don't understand the UFC's idea behing bringing people in with backgrounds almost purely in freestyle wrestling, it makes for very boring fights. In this case, Herring tried keep the fight entertaining, and more importantly, actually tried to damage and finish his opponent, both on the feet and on the ground by dropping O'Brien with punches and attempting submissions, O'Brien on the other hand, did nothing. He was clearly the better wrestler, this was shown time after time in his double leg takedowns, but he could not stand and trade with Herring, and whats worse is that he barely ever tried to punch him while he was on top, or even worse yet he never attempted submissions that were right in front of him like when Herring kept giving his back (most likely wouldnt have got it against Heath anyways. I would much rather see Herring fight again than O'Brien, and the UFC needs to either stop brining in boring wrestlers, or impliment rules to punish passsivity or to attack against wreslters always attempting takedowns (knees to the head from the quarter position).

Very well put... O'brien showed no standup and no chin...

Heath dropped him with a left jab, or lazy left hook I can't remember, in the first, and then again at the end of the fight...

And his absolute lack of any sort of offense besides the TD was boring me to death...

I am trying to atribute it to O'Brien's lack of experience and youth, especially against a fighter of HH's caliber... Maybe he did what he could or felt comfortable doing, but it is a great example of why the UFC should institute some variation of the 'yellow card' system.

Boring wrestlers should be made to expand their game to fight in MMA.

Post #6   2/13/07 6:17:19PM