Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

What to watch during the television writers' strike...

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
Whether by DVD or download, there are about a zillion good television shows available, and even the best of us (or is it the worst?) have only seen half-a-zillion of them. So here are some recommendations for you to watch over the next few months (or more - who knows?), while this writers' strike continues.

In no particular order...

1. Battlestar Galactica (2003): This is the recent remake, not the 1970s original. Start with the miniseries, then go to Season 1, Season 2, and Season 2.5. Don't assume this is just another sci-fi geek show. It's one of the best character dramas of the last twenty years and features a breakout cast of fantastic actors whom you've mostly never heard of.

Note that if you choose to buy this show, the miniseries DVDs are packaged with the Season 1 discs, but the miniseries is also sold separately. Places like Best Buy sometimes display both boxes side-by-side, without making the distinction apparent. Don't buy both, you only need the Season 1 boxed set.

2. Prime Suspect, 1-7: If you like gritty crime dramas like "Law & Order", this show is for you.

3. Touching Evil 1-3: Another UK crime-drama. The US version was actually quite good, but I don't think it's been released to DVD.

4. Homicide: Life on the Street: More crime-drama.

5. Once and Again: A grown up drama that isn't preachy or condescending or melodramatic. A show about people. Naturally, it didn't last very long. More engaging than "Party of Five", imo, but if you liked the one, you'll probably find the other enjoyable too.

6. Damages: Sort of a weird show, but if you're hung up on genres and categorizations and neat little cubby-holes in which to file things, you and I aren't on the same wavelength anyway. This series sort of reminds me of Adrian Pasdar's "Profit."

7. Rescue Me: Denis Leary's cynical humor brought to life. Seems to have run out of steam for me in the last season, but the first couple of seasons are fantastic.

8. The Wire: I've only just started this one myself, but it's darn good so far. It's many of the guys who made "Homicide: Life on the Street".

9. ER - the early years: Now that it's not being shoved down your throat from the cover of every magazine on the shelf, you should give it a go. Once upon a time, it really was worth all the hype.

10. La Femme Nikita: A love story wrapped in a stylish espionage drama.

...unless you want to watch more of those crappy "reality" shows, in which case, knock yourself out.

Last edited 12/26/07 1:00PM server time by AchillesHeel
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #1   12/26/07 12:56:31PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:2,021-1,032
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Battlestar Galactica is simply the best series ever !!!

Post #2   12/26/07 1:17:19PM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,621-1,406
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
1. Heroes A great Action series about people with strange abilities try to save the world.

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #3   12/26/07 1:54:18PM   

candynuts

Belt Contender

candynuts Avatar

Career:253-158
Chips:
This... (Aqua Teen Hunger Force) The television show OR Movie

This is an underrated gem... (Assy McGee)

A hilarious show no longer on (Sealab 2021, a revamp of the 70's version)

Post #4   12/26/07 2:04:55PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Don't forget Battlestar Galactica: Razor (now on DVD) and Season 3 (available from Amazon Unbox for download, I got it while it was still on iTunes). I'll be downloading football soon, iTunes will again have the Fox Bowl Bash available-all the BCS games except the Rose Bowl and the Cotton Bowl. And if you missed it, buy the season pass and they'll throw in last year's Fiesta Bowl classic (Boise State-Oklahoma). Otherwise I'll catch up on DVDs I've bought and movies I've both bought and downloaded (I must be desperate, just downloaded National Lampoon's Van Wilder [unrated] and both Tomb Raider films-yeah, mostly to see Angelina Jolie in that tight outfit).

Post #5   12/26/07 2:11:38PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
arrested development: probably the best comedy series ever made. check out all the seasons on dvd

dexter: probably the best series ever made. check out seasons 1-2

Post #6   12/26/07 2:35:14PM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Career:120-77
Camp: Team Arse Kickers
Chips:

Posted by hotrodttt

1. Heroes A great Action series about people with strange abilities try to save the world.

I agree man, Heroes is/was one of the best TV shows I have seen in a while... they already have chapter 3: Villains written, so if the writer's strike ends, we could see them soon... if the strike continues, we'll have to wait until next fall. At least we will get at least one more run.

Post #7   12/26/07 3:45:43PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
im on mmaplayground to much to watch anything other then mma

Post #8   12/26/07 4:14:32PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by loller90278

arrested development: probably the best comedy series ever made. check out all the seasons on dvd

Dexter and Weeds are the two shows I have to watch every week.

Post #9   12/26/07 5:14:42PM   

iwannabesedated

banned

iwannabesedated Avatar

Career:575-327
Chips:
I always have my South Park Dvd's
Aqua Teen hunger Force as well
Man Vs Wild
That 70's show and Married with Children Reruns.

Pretty much anything that isn't a reality show i can watch.Unless your with your girl or something.Chicks dig those reality dating shows.

Post #10   12/26/07 5:36:08PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Chips:

Posted by postman

Dexter and Weeds are the two shows I have to watch every week.

I've been meaning to see both of those, actually. I'll have to add them to my Netflix queue.

Post #11   12/27/07 12:36:18PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Chips:

Posted by loller90278

I just started watching the first season of Dexter. A+ stuff, so far.

Post #12   1/21/08 11:56:23AM   

pdanke

MMA Regular

pdanke Avatar

Career:1,523-1,002
Camp: The Tokyo Bacon Wolves
Chips:
I will always recommend Season 1 of the Upright Citizen's Brigade. Classic comedy.

"I wanna kick ass so bad!"

Post #13   1/25/08 11:57:33PM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:
Dexter is badass, I havnt seen Season two yet on account of the fact they havnt aired it yet in the UK, but season one was awesome!

Thankfully the writers strike isn't really affecting us over here, our writers didn't follow suit and strike, so we got quality English programming as usual. And we still got Shameless! Anyone who lives in the UK will know how ace this program is

Post #14   1/26/08 6:32:49AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,975-1,117
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I gotta agree with
1. Battlestar gallactica
2. Le Femme Nikita
3. Dexter
4. heroes
would add
5. Scrubs- buy the season from the beginning/ Hilarious show, currently in it's last season.
6. Millenium- Made by the guy who did the X-ciles. Whole series is on DVD, and it;s excellent.
7. Firefly- Whole brief series also on DVD, and there is a movie names Serenity based off the series that is also great.
8. Farscape- One of the great sci-fi shows ever IMo. Whole series also on DVd.
9. House- If you haven't watched it your missing out. Genius. Buy the first 2 season son DVD , and catch up on season 3.
10. Bones- Like a cross between moonlighting and CSI. Goo d stuff, great characters. Buy first 2 seasons, latch on to 3rd.

I'll add more if I think of them. I would like to add if you never saw La Femme Nikita, i think it is the greatest show in Tv History.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #15   1/26/08 6:52:45AM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3