Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Ultimate Mayweather

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,668-1,480
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Telling the media that he had "accomplished all that I could as a fighter" following his Dec. 8 bout with Ricky Hatton, Floyd Mayweather intimated that he would be happy to retire with a perfect 39-0 record and the unofficial title of best pound-for-pound boxer on the planet.

But if Mark Cuban is to be believed, the 30-year-old pugilist has a prescient sense of history and wants to add one more chapter to his inevitable self-congratulatory autobiography -- Mayweather could become the first boxer in his career prime to risk hyper-extended ligaments in a mixed martial arts contest.

Mayweather, Cuban said, will be involved in some capacity with the billionaire's fledging HDNet Fights promotion and will visit MMA gyms in the coming months to gauge his interest in an open-style fight.

Link

Last edited 1/8/08 12:32PM server time by dothemmath
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   12/24/07 6:39:46AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,446-842
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
This article said exactly what I said last night on one of the Playgrounds topics about Mayweather.He could follow in the shoes of some one like Crocop,who never had any great wrestling,or BJJ abilities.If he can manage to get a damn good sprawl,that alone could do wonders for the guy.

Post #2   12/24/07 8:54:57AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

This article said exactly what I said last night on one of the Playgrounds topics about Mayweather.He could follow in the shoes of some one like Crocop,who never had any great wrestling,or BJJ abilities.If he can manage to get a damn good sprawl,that alone could do wonders for the guy.

Only problem is people fear eating a shin or a knee when shooting on a kickboxer. For a boxer...not so much.

Post #3   12/24/07 10:21:17AM   

BigTomZ

MMA Regular

BigTomZ Avatar

Career:280-166
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
Floyd Mayweather won't fight in MMA.

In the unlikely event that he does make a move to MMA, he will never fight good competition. He will only fight standup fighters without any skills on the ground or in the clinch where Floyd can really be hurt and beaten.

Casual fans and boxing fans will see Floyd destroy a couple low level fighters and in their minds that will legitimize their claims that boxers are real athletes and skilled fighters while mixed martial artists are not.

Floyd in MMA would make alot of quick money, but I have a feeling it would set the sport of mixed martial arts back several years.

Post #4   12/24/07 10:36:50AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by mrsmiley

Only problem is people fear eating a shin or a knee when shooting on a kickboxer. For a boxer...not so much.

True.But a well placed upercut will do the trick as well.

I can understand were MMA fans come from really being anti-Mayweahter.But I want to give the guy a fair shot at this if he does go MMA.He would be putting a lot on the line,and if he does make the switch,I can only give the guy respect for that.

Last edited 12/24/07 10:53AM server time by mrsmiley
2 total post edits

Post #5   12/24/07 10:45:05AM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,450-1,133
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:

Posted by BigTomZ

....................... I have a feeling it would set the sport of mixed martial arts back several years.

Last edited 12/24/07 12:11PM server time by darnok
Edit note/reason: typo

Post #6   12/24/07 12:10:30PM   

Btews22

MMA Regular

Btews22 Avatar

Career:190-116
Camp: Oregon Top Team
Chips:
Maywether is a stud... A fight with a top level UFC fighter would be a mistake, He could possibly fight some can and get a KO, he could turn into a big draw but will never be elite... His nickname is Money Maywether, and he will never see a pay day in MMA like he does every time he steps into a boxing ring.....

Would be a fun sideshow and I would pay to see him fight a top ten guy but not some can

Post #7   12/24/07 1:10:28PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Chips:
Good points guys.

He's gotta fight someone legit otherwise this just comes off as a wash.

Post #8   12/24/07 1:41:12PM   

TimW001

MMA Sensei

TimW001 Avatar

Career:724-436
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by mrsmiley

True.But a well placed upercut will do the trick as well.

I can understand were MMA fans come from really being anti-Mayweahter.But I want to give the guy a fair shot at this if he does go MMA.He would be putting a lot on the line,and if he does make the switch,I can only give the guy respect for that.

I agree with smiley. I don't think he'd do as bad as people may want to believe.

Post #9   12/24/07 4:04:22PM   

Djbb

Standup Guy

Djbb Avatar

Career:31-27
Camp: Keyboard Warriors of LMAOville
Chips:

Posted by BigTomZ

Floyd Mayweather won't fight in MMA.

In the unlikely event that he does make a move to MMA, he will never fight good competition. He will only fight standup fighters without any skills on the ground or in the clinch where Floyd can really be hurt and beaten.

Casual fans and boxing fans will see Floyd destroy a couple low level fighters and in their minds that will legitimize their claims that boxers are real athletes and skilled fighters while mixed martial artists are not.

Floyd in MMA would make alot of quick money, but I have a feeling it would set the sport of mixed martial arts back several years.

So true. Props.

Post #10   12/24/07 4:19:09PM   

Styles

Standup Guy

Styles Avatar

Career:373-223
Chips:
I didn't realize Mayweather was strictly a boxer, but I guess if the experts on this site say so, then it must be true. There is alot about Mayweather that people dont know and dont care to know. Mayweather would give a fight to anyone that he stepped into a fight with. I heard some people talk about kick-boxing and how taking a shin to the face is different then a punch. Wasn't Mayweather a kick-boxer, doesn't he still train kick-boxing, wrestling and BJJ on a weekly basis? Wasn't his father a pro kick-boxer that did fairly well, which is the way Maywheather grew up? Also, hasn't Mayweather been seen hanging out with top MMA stars for a number of years now? Also, isn't there family members of Mayweather that own gyms, coach, and train MMA? Doesn't mayweather have a history in wrestling? I guess if it isn't out there directly, people dont really know.

What about all the strikers in the sport that have made an impressive name for themselves? Liddell would be a good example (ofcourse people are going to argue). Liddell mainly used his punches to win fights, correct? Also, Cro-cop used strikes to win fights to, correct? So why is it that people write off Mayweather so quickly is has has great speed, and powerful punches? There is no in his wieght division that could bang with Mayweather! All he really needs to do is Sprawl, defend take downs and he is n great shape. Ofcourse with the amounts of years that he has utilized wrestling, kick-boxing, and BJJ in his training would probally make him a well-rounded fighter. So how is it that people can write him off so quickly?

Also, just my opinion, but how many people know for sure that the comments he de about MMA wasn't a way to hype himself up to come to MMA? It is known that he is good friends with MMA stars, and has been seen hanging out with a number of them.... make sence?

Post #11   12/24/07 4:46:38PM   

Djbb

Standup Guy

Djbb Avatar

Career:31-27
Camp: Keyboard Warriors of LMAOville
Chips:

Posted by Styles
Wasn't Mayweather a kick-boxer, doesn't he still train kick-boxing, wrestling and BJJ on a weekly basis?

Source, please? I see nothing on Mayweather's wikipedia article about him training in any of those, nor does a Google search of "Mayweather kickboxing" or "Mayweather bjj" turn up any results that indicate him having trained in those forms. Secondly, I'm not going to write off Mayweather as some worthless chump whos going to get his ass whooped in the octagon, because theres always the "puncher's chance". Instead, I'll write Mayweather off as an excellent boxer whos ego has grown to big for his head and will probably get it smashed back down by the UFC elites.

Post #12   12/24/07 5:05:15PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Styles

I didn't realize Mayweather was strictly a boxer, but I guess if the experts on this site say so, then it must be true. There is alot about Mayweather that people dont know and dont care to know. Mayweather would give a fight to anyone that he stepped into a fight with. I heard some people talk about kick-boxing and how taking a shin to the face is different then a punch. Wasn't Mayweather a kick-boxer, doesn't he still train kick-boxing, wrestling and BJJ on a weekly basis? Wasn't his father a pro kick-boxer that did fairly well, which is the way Maywheather grew up? Also, hasn't Mayweather been seen hanging out with top MMA stars for a number of years now? Also, isn't there family members of Mayweather that own gyms, coach, and train MMA? Doesn't mayweather have a history in wrestling? I guess if it isn't out there directly, people dont really know.

What about all the strikers in the sport that have made an impressive name for themselves? Liddell would be a good example (ofcourse people are going to argue). Liddell mainly used his punches to win fights, correct? Also, Cro-cop used strikes to win fights to, correct? So why is it that people write off Mayweather so quickly is has has great speed, and powerful punches? There is no in his wieght division that could bang with Mayweather! All he really needs to do is Sprawl, defend take downs and he is n great shape. Ofcourse with the amounts of years that he has utilized wrestling, kick-boxing, and BJJ in his training would probally make him a well-rounded fighter. So how is it that people can write him off so quickly?

Also, just my opinion, but how many people know for sure that the comments he de about MMA wasn't a way to hype himself up to come to MMA? It is known that he is good friends with MMA stars, and has been seen hanging out with a number of them.... make sence?

Hope the kool-aid is good.

Post #13   12/24/07 5:44:44PM   

Styles

Standup Guy

Styles Avatar

Career:373-223
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Styles

Hope the kool-aid is good.

ohh, it is

Post #14   12/24/07 6:14:44PM   

GrahfZilla

Learning to Sprawl

Career:154-94
Chips:

Posted by Styles

You're talking about Zab Judah, not Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Last edited 12/24/07 6:43PM server time by GrahfZilla
2 total post edits

Post #15   12/24/07 6:42:15PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2