Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

VH1's top song of the 90's

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MMA Regular

905010 Avatar

Career:312-203
Chips:

Posted by 40ouncetofreedom

I cant argue Nirvana being number 1,However how does Guns n Roses-November Rain not make the top 100 songs of the 90's.Also no Stone Temple Pilots ??? WTF is up with that.

one of STP's songs definatly should have been on there towards the top. i didn't see all of the count down so maby these songs were on here. but i think
a Rage Against the Machine song should have been on there along with Real Motha ******* G's by Easy-E should have been on there.

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #16   12/24/07 9:25:49AM   

emfleek

Your Mom Is A Whore

emfleek Avatar

Career:3,180-1,718
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
People put too much stock into these polls.

I don't necessarily disagree with Nirvana having the #1 song of the 90's, but I could definitely choose my own be just fine with it.

Besides...why in the hell are we just now talking about this? It'll be 2008 in 7.5 days.

Post #17   12/24/07 10:16:30AM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by zephead

Posted by loller90278

nirvana - smells like teen spirit was voted as the number one song of the 90's.

anyone want to challenge this call ?

Nope. Not a Nirvana fan, but you can not debate the fact that song started a musical revolution. In came grunge/rock gone was the hairbands.

I put the Beattles, Zeppelin, Run DMC and Nirvana as 4 of the biggest musical influences in the last 40 some odd years

I hate Metalica but they have to be in that conversation. I would say more so then all of those other then the Beattles. you also could put Elvis on that list.

Metalca more influential then Zeppelin????????????? No Zeppelin, no metal. Zeppelin wasn't called "The Hammer Of the Gods" for nothing. Metalica themselves say that Zeppelin was their biggest influence.

Here's some qoutes from other musicians about Zeppelin:

Joe Perry Aerosmith :
We learned the arena-rock sound from their records. Jimmy Page was so young when they made their first record, but he'd spent so much time in the studio, he had the whole thing mapped out in his head. He was like Eisenhower looking at Normandy Beach.

Jeff Ament Pearl Jam :
Pearl Jam's goal every night is "Let's try to be Zep in '73, Madison Sguare Garden." They changed it up with every record. When we made Ten , we wanted to be as diverse as possible so we could go any direction we wanted after that, the way THEY did.

Tom Morello The Nightwatchman :
They has such mystique in a time before there were video's or anything like that. You never saw Jimmy Page move - just a picture of him in a magaizine playing a song and it was pretty heavy. The riff-writing of Jimmy Page was melded into my DNA.

Wyclef Jean :
I don't know a hip-hop producer who don't know who Led Zeppelin is. The drum sounds - as a producer, you live to sample that. And you are not a guitar player if you don't know Led Zeppelin. Period. Dorian, Ionian, Mixoldian: These are all Led Zeppelin scales. They define a blueprint of rock.

Bill Kelliher Mastodon :
Growing up, my dad brought home Led Zeppelin I and II and when I heard "Dazed and Confused," I remember thinking, "Are these guys in cahoots with the devil? Are they sacrificing virgins? are they on drugs?" I was blown away by how evil they sounded

Lars Ulrich Metallica :
John Bonham could lay back and fall on the floor when he had to, but every rhythmic variation was always thought out, though never lacking in spontaneous elements. He was capable of going in any direction. That's what I've been trying to do for thirty years.

Andrew Stockdale Wolfmother
The gag was "Oh, Jimmy Page is into satanic stuff," but it's about trying to tap into the universal consciousness. That's the different side of Zeppelin. Their music is about transportation - you start off in one place, and when it finishes, you're in another place.

That's just the tip of the iceburg. Go to any Barnes & Knobles or Borders and go the music section and read up how just how influential Zeppelin was/is. Bands from the Beastie Boys to Jane's Addiction. Bluegrass has a tribute album out to Zeppelin.

What I look at is, the Beattles were a Godfather of a genre of music, Pop. Zeppelin is a Godfather of a genre of music, heavy metal. Run DMC is a Gidfater of a genre of music, hip-hop/rap and Nirvana is a Godfather of a genre of music, grunge.

Metal was around a long time before Metallica, you had Sabbath, Preist and Iron Maiden.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #18   12/24/07 12:41:58PM   

iwannabesedated

banned

iwannabesedated Avatar

Career:575-327
Chips:
I think the Ramones are more Influential than Nirvana.

Metallica,Pearl Jam,Nirvana and pretty much any punk-new wave and metal band that started in the 80's was influenced by the Ramones...OH and I agree that Zeppelin is the best rock band ever.But in my opinion Black Sabbath would be the gods of metal for me and they're also a big influence on just about every metal band ever.

Post #19   12/24/07 12:49:51PM   

TFK

Learning to Sprawl

TFK Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
I saw a little bit of the VH-1 show, and all I could think was....damn, the 90's was a lousy time for music.

TFK

Post #20   12/26/07 11:33:13AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by loller90278

nirvana - smells like teen spirit was voted as the number one song of the 90's.

Yeah, I was soooo surprised by that selection...

Post #21   12/26/07 1:02:57PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2