Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Randy Couture: UFC Rejected M-1 Global’s Couture-Emelianenko Fight Proposal

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Career:120-77
Camp: Team Arse Kickers
Chips:
"UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture, who recently resigned from the UFC and is awaiting for his fight and employment contracts to expire with the organization, made a last-ditch effort to organize a fight with former PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko."

MMA Junkie

Last edited 1/8/08 1:05PM server time by dothemmath
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   12/20/07 11:39:27AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
They should have done it. I know why they didn't but Randy's best chance is in the Octagon, if it happens in the ring....I dunno.

Post #2   12/20/07 11:41:59AM   

SpiderSilva

Spiderweidman

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,760-1,113
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Why UFC(Dana) Why???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #3   12/20/07 11:43:28AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,457-1,410
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
not a shocker, but man id really like for dana to bite the bullet here and just go ahead and make this one fight happen, the PPV buys would be through the roof, and theres a lot of money to be made for both sides.

Post #4   12/20/07 11:45:24AM   

Djbb

Standup Guy

Djbb Avatar

Career:31-27
Camp: Keyboard Warriors of LMAOville
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

They should have done it. I know why they didn't but Randy's best chance is in the Octagon, if it happens in the ring....I dunno.

Lolwhat, so if Couture can beat Fedor in the octagon but not in the ring whats either outcome prove? Couture = best cagefighter and Fedor = best ringfighter?

Post #5   12/20/07 11:46:25AM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Not only that, but whether the UFC co-promotes this fight or not, I get the impression that Randy is gonna try to make it happen once his contract expires (if it's the way he and his lawyers feel it is). So it's only insane to not get in on a piece of the action. The UFC may not like the idea of co-promoting with M-1 for this specific fight, but they stand so much to lose if M-1 gets it exclusively.

IMO Dana needs to swallow that big lump of pride and do what needs to be done... everyone is already starting to feel like the UFC management cares more about money than the fans or fighters, this only makes that worse. I don't know if Dana just feels that people won't watch the fight if it happens in M-1, or if he would look even more hypocritical after saying he doesn't care about Fedor... but either way the only smart thing would be to accept the offer. Otherwise I see M-1 becoming a huge threat, and UFC fans/fighters starting to migrate... never thought it would happen, but I never thought Dana would act like that either (at least 4-5 months ago).

-Edit-
About the ring/cage thing, I think randy would benefit from being in the cage, because it plays so much into his game... but I don't think Fedor would be completely ruined by fighting in the cage, as he's a ground fighter as well. I think Randy is smart enough to make the transition, but for him to fight in the ring would most likely affect him. I'm not 100% behind the fact that I think Fedor is really "better" than Randy, I just hope Randy takes enough time to get accustomed to the cage before the fight (if it happens/happens in a ring)

Last edited 12/20/07 11:52AM server time by TNunley

Post #6   12/20/07 11:47:59AM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:1,944-989
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
I think the UFC are very smart to not give any chance to a competitor to have there name associate with the Powerfull UFC !!

The UFC don't really need M-1 to set-up a good show and of course M-1 will accept every single offer who can give them a real visibility by being associate with the UFC.

Good move by Dana, if couture wanted to collaborate with the UFC he would have not resigned and tried to dismemtle the UFC's credibility with a public press conference with false number and false accusation.

couture was angry about Fedor not coming to the UFC and in the same time he was jalous of the offer that Dana did to Fedor to sign with them.

Why not a association with HDNET BTW ??? i am sure HDNET will be more than happy to have there name associate with the UFC !!

Last edited 12/20/07 2:17PM server time by tuvok500
4 total post edits

Post #7   12/20/07 11:54:11AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by TNunley

Posted by cmill21

Not only that, but whether the UFC co-promotes this fight or not, I get the impression that Randy is gonna try to make it happen once his contract expires (if it's the way he and his lawyers feel it is). So it's only insane to not get in on a piece of the action. The UFC may not like the idea of co-promoting with M-1 for this specific fight, but they stand so much to lose if M-1 gets it exclusively.

IMO Dana needs to swallow that big lump of pride and do what needs to be done... everyone is already starting to feel like the UFC management cares more about money than the fans or fighters, this only makes that worse. I don't know if Dana just feels that people won't watch the fight if it happens in M-1, or if he would look even more hypocritical after saying he doesn't care about Fedor... but either way the only smart thing would be to accept the offer. Otherwise I see M-1 becoming a huge threat, and UFC fans/fighters starting to migrate... never thought it would happen, but I never thought Dana would act like that either (at least 4-5 months ago).

-Edit-
About the ring/cage thing, I think randy would benefit from being in the cage, because it plays so much into his game... but I don't think Fedor would be completely ruined by fighting in the cage, as he's a ground fighter as well. I think Randy is smart enough to make the transition, but for him to fight in the ring would most likely affect him. I'm not 100% behind the fact that I think Fedor is really "better" than Randy, I just hope Randy takes enough time to get accustomed to the cage before the fight (if it happens/happens in a ring)

100,000% agree. It's either risk Randy losing, while still making a huuuuge chunk of money, or risk Randy losing while making nothing. This is a fight that will attract every mma fan, whether you love the UFC or Pride, your japanese, european or from north america, whether you are a casual fan or a hard core fan, this is a fight you will neeeeed to see. Also I'm going to go ahead and guess that since M-1 has good ties into Japan and they very well could have had a tv deal in Japan, possibly opening the door for a UFC invasion of Japan. Also to why my take on the cage is when you've never been into a cage, and you get pushed against it when your used of the ropes it makes a huge difference, the elbows would, not could, they would cut Fedor pretty badly.

Post #8   12/20/07 12:05:52PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
The only reason UFC won't do this is what we could call "sleeping with the enemy". UFC views everyone out there, except of course WEC, as the Rebels to their Empire. While us fans (and probably the lucky fighters on such a co-promoted event) would win, Zuffa would lose. For some reason they don't want to take that risk.

Post #9   12/20/07 12:08:57PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:1,944-989
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Posted by TNunley

Posted by cmill21

-Edit-

100,000% agree. It's either risk Randy losing, while still making a huuuuge chunk of money, or risk Randy losing while making nothing. This is a fight that will attract every mma fan, whether you love the UFC or Pride, your japanese, european or from north america, whether you are a casual fan or a hard core fan, this is a fight you will neeeeed to see. Also I'm going to go ahead and guess that since M-1 has good ties into Japan and they very well could have had a tv deal in Japan, possibly opening the door for a UFC invasion of Japan. Also to why my take on the cage is when you've never been into a cage, and you get pushed against it when your used of the ropes it makes a huge difference, the elbows would, not could, they would cut Fedor pretty badly.

correction.
the president of M-1 told live on inside MMA last friday that they were unable to have a TV deal in Japan and it is why they have to be associate with K-1 who have the exclusibility with the TV deal in Japan. he also said that it is very hard to have something work in Japan because of the politique and favoritism.
and the choice of Choi to fight Fedor was an obligation because K-1 wanted to have one of there Star to fight Fedor or they were not going to associate there name with M-1 and M-1 would not have there event on TV in Japan.

so, M-1 is really not going to open any door what so ever for the UFC in Japanese market.

Post #10   12/20/07 12:13:52PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Chips:
I still can't see a Japanese tv station passing up a Fedor vs Couture fight. Fedor is such a huge star(understatement) in Japan.

Post #11   12/20/07 12:16:56PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Don't forget the Russians. Fedor's gotta be on a level of someone like Putin in Russia in terms of popularity.

Post #12   12/20/07 12:31:00PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
This is no big suprise.......I just hope Couture will be free to fight in October.....

Post #13   12/20/07 12:44:30PM   

Smd277

MMA Regular

Smd277 Avatar

Career:127-80
Chips:
now theyre just gonna loose cotoure and it isnt like letting them fight will turn all UFC fans over to m-1 doing this will make them loose fans

Post #14   12/20/07 12:45:09PM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

I think the UFC are very smart to not give any chance to a competitor to have there name associate with the Powerfull UFC !!

The UFC don't really need M-1 to set-up a good show and of course M-1 will accept every single offer who can give them a real visibility by being associate with the UFC.

Good move by Dana, if couture wanted to collaborate with the UFC he would have not resigned and tried to dismemtle the UFC's credibility with a public press comference with false number and false accusation.

couture was angry about Fedor not comming to the UFC and in the same time he was jalous of the offer that Dana did to Fedor to sign with them.

Why not a association with HDNET BTW ??? i am sure HDNET will be more than happy to have there name associate with the UFC !!

You make very good points... it's ridiculous to try and pick a side to be on. They both have their faults.

Post #15   12/20/07 12:49:26PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2