Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Rickson Gracie - Exploring Genius

Print  
Posted By Message

ohiostate1016

MMA Sensei

ohiostate1016 Avatar

Career:826-528
Camp: Sporting News Assassins
Chips:
Numerous modern day Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu masters declare openly that Rickson Gracie’s Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is the supreme expression of the art today. Indeed, many world-class Jiu-Jitsu players, champions in their own right, declare solemnly that Rickson Gracie is a virtuoso.

The intent of this essay is to speak about my personal experience indicating Rickson’s uniqueness and to pursue several explanations that may shed greater light regarding the source of his matchless skills.

LINK

Last edited 1/8/08 2:07PM server time by dothemmath
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Ad: FanDuel: Daily Fantasy Sports

Post #1   12/19/07 1:53:36PM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Career:815-456
Chips:
pretty ironic misspell

Post #2   12/19/07 3:20:19PM   

Jujiden

MMA Regular

Jujiden Avatar

Career:263-145
Camp: Jujiden MMA
Chips:
Excellent article. While this is primarily an MMA forum, and many say that Rickson would get demolished by many MMA fighters today, it is in my personal opinion, like it or not, that regardless what Rickson may do in the cage, he is supreme on the mat, period. Those who practice martial arts, mixed and/or traditional, can attest to the fact that MMA and traditional martial arts are different creatures altogether and saying that Rickson isn't worth his weight in gold because he doesn't fight much MMA is like saying Michael Jordan isn't a great athlete because he can't play football.

Post #3   12/19/07 5:37:49PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:2,047-1,306
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
From what I've seen and herd,Rickson is about the absolute best at straight Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu.I don't realy believe his 400-0 record,but nonetheless,he's got some of the best ground skills out their.

Post #4   12/19/07 8:11:12PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

From what I've seen and herd,Rickson is about the absolute best at straight Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu.I don't realy believe his 400-0 record,but nonetheless,he's got some of the best ground skills out their.

Good cuz, first off it's 400-1, second he included students he rolled w/ his amateur records in Sambo JJ Judo etc. He'd teach a seminar and say he tapped like 5 or 6 ppl. It certainly was not a professional record.

But the control and ability that he showd even when rolling w/ the best of the best, and the Machida and Zulu victories, showed any educated fan how good he was.

IS... that's a bigger question, jsut cuz he talks about fighting again. But at one time he was the best in the world, he was doing "mma" before there was MMA.

Post #5   12/19/07 9:44:20PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Chips:
yeah the Ron Tripp incident should be on youtube,because supposedly it was taped.Never have seen it though.If he was to fight again I would watch though!

Post #6   12/19/07 9:48:20PM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

It was a nice article. It makes you think that there is something more than the physical aspect of it. With that being said, I for one dont hold anyhting up to that level of omni presence as much as to great ability and capablity to adapt, learn and move forward and create. I love articles like this because they keep me striving toward my goals.. but I can't really see fighting or jiu-jitsu as something so spiritual.
Also, I don't doubt his 400 closed door fights. That is how BJJ was created in the first place; years ago helio and company where fighting on beaches and fighting in public and behind closed doors attempting to perfect what we now call Brazillian/ Gracie Jiu-Jitsu... and God bless them for doing it.

Post #7   12/19/07 11:11:24PM   

ohiostate1016

MMA Sensei

ohiostate1016 Avatar

Career:826-528
Camp: Sporting News Assassins
Chips:
My original reason for posting this was the focus that I believe that Rickson shows in the ring. I was watching PRIDE 1, when he easily beat Takada, and it just amazed me how focused yet relaxed he was. He looked like there was nothing else in the world.

I will try to find some great articles on other legends. This was a great find, and I'm sure there are more out there. Stay tuned.

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #8   12/20/07 3:15:57AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Chips:
I think the best article with Rickson was the interview with Maynard James Keenon from Tool.That was bizzarre yet cool.

Post #9   12/20/07 7:06:10AM