Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

The UFC's 10 biggest letdowns of 2007

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

LR

In Full Mount

LR Avatar

Career:638-326
Chips:
An article talking abou t the letdowns.. or badly managed pieces of the UFC over the year. It isn't rebutting Jake Rossen's article, but it does point out some of the mistakes that the UFC made in regards to some of Rossen's points. A good primer for conversation.

LINK

Last edited 1/8/08 2:11PM server time by dothemmath
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   12/18/07 9:17:33AM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:2,065-1,066
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
most ridiculous article ever !!

it is like writing a list of the 10 biggest letdowns of 2007 by the New England Patriots.
i am sure that bill belicheck is not happy with atleast 10 things because nobody is perfect but the point is that they are 14-0 anyways !!

So, just imagine the list of the others teams !!

Last edited 12/18/07 10:43AM server time by tuvok500

Post #2   12/18/07 10:33:35AM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

most ridiculous article ever !!

it is like writing a list of the 10 biggest letdowns of 2007 for the New England Patriots.
i am sure that bill belicheck is not happy with atleast 10 things because nobody is perfect but the point is that they are 14-0 anyways !!

So, just imagine the list of the others teams !!

Agreed. Big meanie Dana White had the nerve to disagree with bona fide MMA experts! He then failed us once again when he decided to cut the losses and not bury the UFC under a big financial mess called Pride Fighting Championship. I also think it is hilarious how these MMA "experts" make judgments with regards to fighters contracts when they don't have a single bit of information about the actual contractual terms.

Post #3   12/18/07 10:48:59AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
This almost sounds like something a WWE smark would write. While some of them are more head-on than the other, it still doesn't quite make enough sense. This line was dead-on though:

Note to the UFC: Watch 24/7 Mayweather-Hatton and take notes.

Indeed. Those were among the best behind-the-scenes shows in sports.

Post #4   12/18/07 10:50:46AM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
This doode comes off as a grumpy keyboard warrior who's lookin for an excuse to talk some shit about the ufc.

Rashad evans/bisping wasnt a fight that interested anyone.. but there were a lot of fights on that card that knowledgable fans were interested in. Penn/sherk was scheduled for that card, but you cant predict things like that. Its not like you can just call another champ/no1 contender and ask them to fill in with that short of a notice.

Liddel is still highly marketable, espeically to the casual fan.. and he's probably still a great fighter despite his loss to jardine. They not gonna market rampage until its much closer to his next fight. He's got exposure through stuff like the ufc video game and interviews but he's not fighting until after the next TUF so you dont need to push him now.

I'd say that the ufc's marketing is more than mediorce, but they definately can improve how they promote superfights like gsp/hughes and silva/liddel

"the real belt".. lets be serious, both hughes and gsp would whoop serras ass this time around. Hughes as always been an incredibly impressive and dominant fighter, and gsp seems to have his head on straight and is now part of a proper camp.. serra isnt in either of their leagues, this fight is the title fight.

Nobody really knows whats going on with the contracts.. are the fighters asking for too much? is zuffa offering too little? I understand contract negotiations, and the strategy that they're employing, but what they seem to neglect is the value of keeping a fighter in the ufc and not letting them go elsewhere. Obviously, the only notable fighter (that i can think of) who's experiencing this is AA.. He may only be worth 25k per fight to the ufc, but he's probably worth another 25k to keep him outta m-1.

Dana does make a lot of promises, but cummon.. its not like he's ur boyfriend and you gotta get all teary eyed when he lies or doesnt come through on something he said he'd do. When dana white makes a promise, its cause to the best of his knowledge, its the most likely senario, and he has all the intentions of fulfilling that promise. In the fight game, shit happens. His personality can get to people who take him too seriously, or are overly critical of him.. but I enjoy him. He's passionate about what he does, and he's a no bs kinda guy. He'll probably get a little more tactful and smooth out the edges in a couple years.. but i dont think its that big of a deal.

How many false reports have we read through the news forums here? I'd say about 1/3 of the important issues is reported with false info.. examples being sherks title or arlovski leaving the ufc. A lot of false information gets leaked into the into the fan base because of the internet sites and a lot of fans forget to reserve judgement until theres better evidence. I'd probably be a little pissed too if reporters like kevin iole from yahoo put up articles regarding how much people were getting paid, when in reality, only zuffa and their accounts are aware of this.

I have a theory about why dana said the stuff he did regarding sherk.. and i'm pretty confident about it. Dana knows sherk well, i'm pretty sure they're good friends. I know that if one of my friends looked me in the eyes and said "I dont take steroids, this whole thing is bs." I know that I could tell if they were lying or not. That conversation probably happened between those two, and Dana believed him. Considering the evidence that sherk was able to come up with, Dana was startin to think that he would overturn the decision. Dana says that he's not gonna strip sherk regardless of the decision.. thinking that the decision will go the right way, and dana can say that he knew sherk was innocent all along and just because the CSAC thought he was guilty, he knew better. When the appeal failed, there was no way Dana could let him keep the belt.. but he did give him no1 contendership so its really all the same.

we all knew pride was going to die.. and i'm pretty sure that most fans would've rather seen all the top talent in one organization rather than still split up. What the ufc should've done tho is give up on the UK expansion and bring the ufc to japan. There could definately be some anomosity, but if you gave the fans great fights, they'd love you. The fan base for mma is already established in japan, you wouldnt have to do squat.. just set up a bunch of fights that the fans want to see.. throw in a couple nakamuras or chonans and ur good to go. If they had 3-4 events in japan per year, they'd be able to sign a lot of the fighters who wanted to stay close to home.. an example being gomi.

Anyways.. my 2 cents

Post #5   12/18/07 11:06:04AM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,503-1,200
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:
If someone hates the UFC this much I am suprised he even knows who some of the fighters are. Because I would expect that he wouldn't watch UFC if it is that bad.

What an Idiot.

At least in the Sherdog article that they referenced they mentioned they were taking the high road and going to point out ten things the UFC did right this year.

I hate the "stick it to the man" attitude so many people have.

Post #6   12/18/07 11:12:04AM   

CiaoBaby

MMA Regular

CiaoBaby Avatar

Career:688-482
Camp: The Fatherless Bastards
Chips:
An interesting read if nothing else. I can't say I agree with everything in the article, but he does make some valid points. But it was said before, it's like lsting the top 10 dissapointments of New England. UFC is still on top.

Post #7   12/18/07 11:18:49AM   

LR

In Full Mount

LR Avatar

Chips:

Posted by wapttn

This doode comes off as a grumpy keyboard warrior who's lookin for an excuse to talk some shit about the ufc.

Rashad evans/bisping wasnt a fight that interested anyone.. but there were a lot of fights on that card that knowledgable fans were interested in. Penn/sherk was scheduled for that card, but you cant predict things like that. Its not like you can just call another champ/no1 contender and ask them to fill in with that short of a notice.

Liddel is still highly marketable, espeically to the casual fan.. and he's probably still a great fighter despite his loss to jardine. They not gonna market rampage until its much closer to his next fight. He's got exposure through stuff like the ufc video game and interviews but he's not fighting until after the next TUF so you dont need to push him now.

I'd say that the ufc's marketing is more than mediorce, but they definately can improve how they promote superfights like gsp/hughes and silva/liddel

"the real belt".. lets be serious, both hughes and gsp would whoop serras ass this time around. Hughes as always been an incredibly impressive and dominant fighter, and gsp seems to have his head on straight and is now part of a proper camp.. serra isnt in either of their leagues, this fight is the title fight.

Nobody really knows whats going on with the contracts.. are the fighters asking for too much? is zuffa offering too little? I understand contract negotiations, and the strategy that they're employing, but what they seem to neglect is the value of keeping a fighter in the ufc and not letting them go elsewhere. Obviously, the only notable fighter (that i can think of) who's experiencing this is AA.. He may only be worth 25k per fight to the ufc, but he's probably worth another 25k to keep him outta m-1.

Dana does make a lot of promises, but cummon.. its not like he's ur boyfriend and you gotta get all teary eyed when he lies or doesnt come through on something he said he'd do. When dana white makes a promise, its cause to the best of his knowledge, its the most likely senario, and he has all the intentions of fulfilling that promise. In the fight game, shit happens. His personality can get to people who take him too seriously, or are overly critical of him.. but I enjoy him. He's passionate about what he does, and he's a no bs kinda guy. He'll probably get a little more tactful and smooth out the edges in a couple years.. but i dont think its that big of a deal.

How many false reports have we read through the news forums here? I'd say about 1/3 of the important issues is reported with false info.. examples being sherks title or arlovski leaving the ufc. A lot of false information gets leaked into the into the fan base because of the internet sites and a lot of fans forget to reserve judgement until theres better evidence. I'd probably be a little pissed too if reporters like kevin iole from yahoo put up articles regarding how much people were getting paid, when in reality, only zuffa and their accounts are aware of this.

I have a theory about why dana said the stuff he did regarding sherk.. and i'm pretty confident about it. Dana knows sherk well, i'm pretty sure they're good friends. I know that if one of my friends looked me in the eyes and said "I dont take steroids, this whole thing is bs." I know that I could tell if they were lying or not. That conversation probably happened between those two, and Dana believed him. Considering the evidence that sherk was able to come up with, Dana was startin to think that he would overturn the decision. Dana says that he's not gonna strip sherk regardless of the decision.. thinking that the decision will go the right way, and dana can say that he knew sherk was innocent all along and just because the CSAC thought he was guilty, he knew better. When the appeal failed, there was no way Dana could let him keep the belt.. but he did give him no1 contendership so its really all the same.

we all knew pride was going to die.. and i'm pretty sure that most fans would've rather seen all the top talent in one organization rather than still split up. What the ufc should've done tho is give up on the UK expansion and bring the ufc to japan. There could definately be some anomosity, but if you gave the fans great fights, they'd love you. The fan base for mma is already established in japan, you wouldnt have to do squat.. just set up a bunch of fights that the fans want to see.. throw in a couple nakamuras or chonans and ur good to go. If they had 3-4 events in japan per year, they'd be able to sign a lot of the fighters who wanted to stay close to home.. an example being gomi.

Anyways.. my 2 cents

This is interesting because some of your analysis is way off.

#10 talks about the main event, not the undercard. The main event was WEAK. You can't sit there and defend that fact. The undercard had some interesting fights, but the UFC doesn't promote those fights. Listening to Dana White talk about how the undefeated TUF alumni were going to fight each other in a GREAT Battle and then stating it was for contendership was ridiculous.

#9 I actually agree with the assessment that Liddell is boring. Maybe he's the face of the sport, but there are other fighters that could easily take his place and produce much more hype and excitement for a card. Rampage Jackson should have stepped in, and with his appearance on TUF now, he'll replace Liddell unless Liddell puts out Silva and the marketing machine actually does it's job.

#8 Agreed. Someone needs to be replaced in the UFC marketing machine.

#7 I still agree, the UFC was a major letdown in this department. I would say that tying up the belts for so long is just wrong. Can't they produce this show a bit quicker?

#6 The contract numbers are not known, but come on! Keeping fighters in limbo, just give the guy a fight and let him fight his contract out now instead of making the guy wait.

#5 White making promises... isn't a huge deal considering we are NOW used to his lies. That's the mentality nowadays. It was a big letdown for the fans to turn to not believing a word he says. Good assessment by the writer in my book.

#3 The false information story was about SALARIES being posted on Internet news sites. Instead of actually going to a MMA website to check the salaries, White proceeded to state that MMA websites were to blame. He failed to realize that the source of the salaries was the NSAC and CSAC. Premature blowup by White.

His other rants have some validity, but the salaries rant was ridiculous.

#2 Fact is, White went against the government agency that he was adamant about using for the sport of MMA. He needs to go with what they rule. Shut your mouth until the decision, don't public ridicule them. If you feel it was wrong, just say they are wrong, don't rant and rave with profanity. Just stupid, Act professional for christ sakes. Bad move by White. Flip flopping his decision to strip was even worse.

#1 We did all know PRIDE was going to die... but when the conference first hit the streams, there was hope.

Post #8   12/18/07 11:20:19AM   

nastshabast

Banned

Career:337-191
Chips:
Why not point out the bad? It's funny how people can talk ish all day about what's wrong with the UFC and how much Dana is a jerk and they should have done this they should have done that, but when dude puts his opinions "on paper" everyone is quick to defend.

LR has got alot of good points in there, and most are arguable. But to say that the article is pointless. Nope sorry there is a point. And to compare UFC to the flawless Patriots!!! Not even close.

They are doing alot of things right, but at the same time alot of things wrong. Not that I or anyone could do a better job, just my opinion.

Pats 14 - 0
UFC 10-4 at best
L's not signing Fedor
the whole Randy situation
shitty ppv (bisbing/rashad)(wasn't actually shitty but when you are an average mma fan it hella blew)
Sherk on steroids.

So the record still gets you into the playoffs, but your year is not so stellar that people will remember it forever.

Post #9   12/18/07 11:55:55AM   

LR

In Full Mount

LR Avatar

Chips:
The UFC may be top dog... but they still have flaws that they could easily fix. I think that's the point of the article. I imagine the UFC could make more money if they marketed correctly. MTV 2? Who watches that?

And the New England Patriots reference is absurd. The Patriots are a team that is part of an organization. The UFC is the organization. Two completely different things. We couldn't make 10 things up that Chuck Liddell did wrong this year exactly how we couldn't for the Patriots.

Team a part of an organization
The UFC is the organization = Major difference.

Post #10   12/18/07 12:28:12PM   

ohiostate1016

MMA Sensei

ohiostate1016 Avatar

Career:826-528
Camp: Sporting News Assassins
Chips:
For some reason, this article doesn't seem all that professional....

Post #11   12/18/07 12:40:55PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:2,065-1,066
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by LR

The UFC may be top dog... but they still have flaws that they could easily fix. I think that's the point of the article. I imagine the UFC could make more money if they marketed correctly. MTV 2? Who watches that?

And the New England Patriots reference is absurd. The Patriots are a team that is part of an organization. The UFC is the organization. Two completely different things. We couldn't make 10 things up that Chuck Liddell did wrong this year exactly how we couldn't for the Patriots.

Team a part of an organization
The UFC is the organization = Major difference.

Man, the point is not a direct comparaison between the pats and the ufc, it is that even the best team or best organization will never be able to please those who don't like them.

if you don't like brady you will say that he was intercepted at his last game and he should have done a much better job. no matter how good he is, if you hate him you are blinding yourself and putting on him the responsability of everything who goes wrong.

Same for Dana. everybody with a little knowledge can understand that the Fedor story was not because of Dana.
Fedor and his agents refused to go to the UFC even with a contract so big that Randy Couture started to cry of jealousy and left the UFC because he was angry about how big was the offer that Dana gave to Fedor to come in the UFC to fight him !!

As for Sherk, well, Dana stripped him from the belt after the end of the appeal, what is the problem here ???
the delay was really not the fault of Dana, it was Shek who was refusing to admitt his guilt and it was the CSAC who were very slow in there procedure !!

So, Dana tried his best to have Fedor, but Fedor refused and went to M-1, the organization of his agent ( probably a coincidence ).
couture got pissed off because of how big the offer was to Fedor and wanted more like a child who are jalous of his friend because he received a bigger gift for christmas.

As for the UFC 78 main event, it was the plan b or even c and sometimes the plan A don't work because you are not controlling everything in real life.

Last edited 12/18/07 2:51PM server time by tuvok500
2 total post edits

Post #12   12/18/07 12:52:20PM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:2,090-1,176
Chips:
The Biggest UFC LetDown Of 2007: THIS ARTICLE

Post #13   12/18/07 1:19:15PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,503-1,200
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:
Something just occured to me. This article sounds like it was written by someone who was turned down by the UFC. Maybe someone who applied for the TUF show but got cut.

Post #14   12/18/07 1:24:04PM   

d_block07

MMA Regular

d_block07 Avatar

Career:150-70
Camp: Team Punishment 2007
Chips:
i just dont see how ppl can disagree with this article and say that the UFC didnt make any mistakes.

Fedor
Randy
CSAC
Arlovski
Pride
MTV2

Dana white is destroying the UFC, Frank and Lorenzo need to protect their investment and step in. Alot of fighters (tito) are just starting to deal with the fertitas anyways which is smart. Cut Dana out. I appreciate and respect everything he has done for the sport. But his ego is ruining it. 2007 is the beggining of the end for the UFC especially ith so many deep pocketed competitiors fighters are gonna want to make the big money. and other ppl are willing to pay motre than the UFC. very good article

Last edited 12/18/07 2:57PM server time by d_block07

Post #15   12/18/07 2:56:28PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2