Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Filho: Weight Issues Affected Performance

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
WEC Middleweight Champion Paulo Filho, coming off a near-nightmare against Chael Sonnen at WEC 31, says different tactics to cut and recover weight contributed to his performance in the fight.

Article

Last edited 1/8/08 2:11PM server time by dothemmath
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   12/18/07 8:58:58AM   

disorderlyvision

Respect the Battle Axe

disorderlyvision Avatar

Career:1,622-1,122
Chips:
id say sonnen is what effected his performance, not the weight. some guys atleast say they have an injury as an excuse for a poor performance, i think filo could have came up with something better. fact is he is overhyped. he didnt look that good against doerkson and sonnen was running through him like it was easy. silva, henderson, would demolish filho, and some of the mid tier opponents would probably give him a run for his money

Post #2   12/18/07 10:46:51AM   

three_days_of_grey

MMA Regular

three_days_of_grey Avatar

Career:902-534
Chips:

"In principle, I'll be back in June because they are having problems finding opponents for me in this category," he said. "But anything can happen. It's all a matter of negotiation."

That seems to be a reoccurring issue for Middleweights in most promotions. I still maintain that Zuffa should realign WEC according to Pride's weight divisions and if it is successful, realign UFC as well. Filho would beat Doug Marshall like a stoopid step-child and retain a belt. Besides, the lower weight classes are WEC's bread n butter.

Pride
Heavyweight (more than 93 kg / 205 lb)
Middleweight (less than or equal to 93 kg / 205 lb)
Welterweight (less than or equal to 83 kg / 183 lb)
Lightweight (less than or equal to 73 kg / 161 lb)

* Additional WEC
Flyweight (less than or equal to 147lb)
Bantamweight (less than or equal to 133 lb)

-OUT-

Last edited 12/18/07 12:02PM server time by three_days_of_grey
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #3   12/18/07 12:00:54PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:
thats two shaky performances in wec, and two big time excuses from fihlo, coincidence, i think not

Post #4   12/18/07 1:50:17PM   

Playground_Samurai

I EAT POOP

Playground_Samurai Avatar

Career:2,359-1,249
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by disorderlyvision

id say sonnen is what effected his performance, not the weight. some guys atleast say they have an injury as an excuse for a poor performance, i think filo could have came up with something better. fact is he is overhyped. he didnt look that good against doerkson and sonnen was running through him like it was easy. silva, henderson, would demolish filho, and some of the mid tier opponents would probably give him a run for his money

Agreed. Although Joe Doerksen and Chael Sonnen are no slouches, they are also not top tier fighters. Filho is a great fighter, but I believe most fans are putting a little too much stock into him at this point. If his performances against these two most recent opponents is any indication of how he will fight in the U.S., he doesn't stand much of a chance against most top 10 MW's. And IMO, these excuses are just making him look worse. It shows disrespect towards his opponents and IMO, it shows weakness on his part.

Post #5   12/18/07 4:53:40PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
He was fighting a top notch wrestler who had a big reach advantage. That was Filho's problem. If Chael would have keep this standing and not go for the takedown, Fihlo was in big trouble. I guess he just can't give an American credit. Doesn't want to be a slut

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #6   12/18/07 5:36:01PM   

quezocrema0032

Belt Contender

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:1,975-1,056
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
You know whats funny i never really knew much about this guy when i found out he was fighting derkesen (or how ever u spell it) i was like huh lets see how he does ... he wins but says he has food posioning ... i didnt like that kinda disrespectuff to dorkesn ... but i said k now imma watch him fight against sonnen lets see how great he is ... is getting whiped on .. gets lucky on a conterviersel win ... and now he gives us this bs ? ... sigh this guy is horribly overrated ... most guys in the ufc would demolish him ...

Post #7   12/18/07 10:18:23PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
Although I do agree with him being overhyped, especially when theres people who rank him over henderson at mw.. that win was not controversial. The armbar was locked in and that arm was going to snap.. the ref probably could've given it a couple more seconds and a chance for sonnen to tap out, but that arm wasnt goin anywhere but to the hospital.

Post #8   12/19/07 2:00:01AM