Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

If Soko knocks out Machida, is he fighter of the year?

Print  
Does SOK FOTY2007 Honors if he Kos three top 10s?
Yes 27 44%
No 34 56%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Believe-in-judo81

Standup Guy

Believe-in-judo81 Avatar

Career:288-153
Chips:
He has already Knocked out Rogerio Nog(ranked from #7-4) and Arona(#6-3) this year, if he manages to KO another top ten, does he deserve the nod? Quinton unifying was huge, and Anderson and Randy were both phenomenal as well, but NO ONE has accomplished this yet in the sport. Honestly, I think you have to give him the nod. Nobody has done what he did to Ricardo and Rogerio, and if he manages to destroy the ghost that is Lyoto Machida... I honestly don't know what anyone could do to top it.

What are your opinions on it?

Post #1   12/18/07 8:04:09AM   

fullerene

MMA Sensei

fullerene Avatar

Career:1,490-915
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
These questions always come down to the way you frame the criteria. If the fighter of the year is the guy who knocks off the best group of tough opponents, then I think Soku would have that honor. If winning at the very top of the division counts more than winning at the contender level, then I think he falls behind Rampage, Couture and A. Silva since he hasn't taken a title yet.

I use the 2nd criteria and would still give my vote to Rampage. He won the biggest title in his weight class and then "unified" by beating the guy with the other significant title in his weight class.

Last edited 12/18/07 8:13AM server time by fullerene
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   12/18/07 8:12:18AM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:
He would be very close to Randy/Silva/Rampage but like matey said i dont know how to judge them really

Aint gonna happen tho, Soku is the one getting KTFO!

Last edited 12/18/07 8:36AM server time by CornishMMA

Post #3   12/18/07 8:20:59AM   

jomatty

In Full Mount

jomatty Avatar

Career:137-79
Camp: bet the rent
Chips:
it would be close but i think it would be hard to top page and couture. couture's story is pretty impressive, which probably shouldnt count as much as it should and silva has been soooo dominant, as has page.

the funny thing is that before this fight everyone on the forums is saying "soko needs another test before ill give him credit" and now its like "if he gets past lyoto then he deserves my respect" and if he wins the fight they will say "well...machida really is an enigma and we wont really know about soko until he faces another top fighter".

Post #4   12/18/07 8:31:36AM   

Believe-in-judo81

Standup Guy

Believe-in-judo81 Avatar

Chips:
Yeah, Thierry almost seems like he's going to get the rap Randy Couture got for so long, where no matter who he beat or what he did people always counted him out or looked for the tiniest things to doubt him over. Time will tell I guess.

Post #5   12/18/07 8:41:26AM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
I would think that another decisive victory would easily win Soko 'rookie of the year' or 'breakout fighter of the year' or something like that...

But with the year that Anderson, JZ Calvan, and Randy had it's a little tough to give it to Sokoudjou in my eyes

(That's my lineup for fighter of the year... Anderson with JZ as a veeeery close second, and an honerable mention for Randy)

Post #6   12/18/07 10:02:44AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,512-1,449
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
to me a win puts him right up there with jz and anderson as well. i think if jz beats aoki he is fighter of the year, unfortunately here in the states he gets very little press. soko is in the same boat more or less, one more win gets him near the top, but he has to win his last fight this year too. as far as fighters that are done fighting this year its pretty easy for me to say its anderson, he just looks unbeatable right now, at least moreso than anyone else. randy is a sentimental favorite, but hes fought just twice, albeit against top 10 guys, but a lot of the votes for him IMO are based on popularity, and past credentials as well as his age which makes his year that much more amazing. as for rampage, hes had a good year too, eastman was more or less supposed to be a gimme for him, and it was, but beating chuck and hendo is one hell of an accomplishment. unfortunately i think popularity has more to do with some of his votes as well, but i dont want to lessen beating two guys the caliber of hendo and chuck.

Post #7   12/18/07 11:24:03AM   

hook_tothe_body

Standup Guy

hook_tothe_body Avatar

Career:415-290
Camp: 368
Chips:
I voted yes.

Yeah Rampage had a good year, as did Anderson Silva, but Soko KO'ed Arona and Nogueira in the first round. If he KO's Machida, I think he did enough to be fighter of the year. Three fights against top notch competition, all ending in KO.

In the end, it would be a toss up between Jackson and Soko. Both had a really, really good year.

Last edited 12/18/07 1:42PM server time by hook_tothe_body

Post #8   12/18/07 1:41:17PM   

CantAndleDaRiddum

I Got My Black Belt in MMA

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Career:299-192
Chips:
if he KOs Machida, that would be 3KOs over Top 10 LHWs in ONE YEAR, If Chuck, Wandy, Or Rampage had done the same thing in the same STACKED division, people would be crapping themselves over them not getting voted fighter of the year....i believe Soko wouldve have earned it, but even if he doesnt KO machida, even if he loses, him and Alexander are prolly frontrunners for the WHERE THE HELL DID THAT GUY COME FROM????? AWARD

Post #9   12/18/07 2:09:01PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,941-1,101
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
IMO yes, based on most peoples overall rankings. Anderson koed 2 top 10guys ,and subbed a top 20. Randy beat 2 top 10 guys, and no matter how inspirational he was, he is no longer fighting at this time. Page beat 2 top 5 guys, and a top 20. If Gz betas Aoki he would still have not accomplished as much IMO. While 155 is the deepest division in MMA to me: beating a top 5 , a top 10, and 2 top 30's maybe just doesn't seem as impressive. I Personally beleive if the winner of Machida/Soko is impressive in victory( and a Ko on Machida sure would be impressive) I think they deserve a title shot.I think Machida hasn't fought the same quality of fighters at 205 yet, and I think Soko is his toughest test at this weight to date, but Heath/Nak/. and Soko would look good on anyones resume. The question for Machida is can he win in exciting fashion, that hasn't been a problem for Soko thus far. If Soko would have Koed 3 guys at least top 10 to most, and top 5 for some, but rankings are subjective. Also, where the were ranked by most when he fought them, and where his wins pushed them down to , is something that shouldn't be discounted. Lil Nog was probably next for Wandy if they had both won. Arona was also in the mix for a trilogy with wandy. Machida is a difficult fight for anyone. So I have to give the Nod to Soukodjou if he pulls it off.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #10   12/18/07 4:45:01PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,358-751
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
No Lyoto Machida shouldnt even be ranked in the top 10 because he hasn't beaten a top 10 in his weight class. So if Soko KOs him everyone will say Machida was over rated.

Last edited 12/18/07 5:30PM server time by telnights

Post #11   12/18/07 5:28:57PM   

jomatty

In Full Mount

jomatty Avatar

Career:137-79
Camp: bet the rent
Chips:
everyone may say it but that doesnt make it so.

does anyone know much about soko's ground game? there is a pretty wide disparity between judo guys on the ground. there are the pawel nastula type guys who are studs on the ground and others who ne waza is not very well suited to mma as it is more pin oriented (just kind of my opinion). anyhow just curious what anyone knows of soko on the ground (not as an overall grappler as he is obv very talented on his feet).

Post #12   12/18/07 11:02:44PM   

monogl

Learning to Sprawl

monogl Avatar

Career:381-218
Chips:
no hes not quite FOY just yet but is he breakout fighter of the year, does he launch himself into stardom and does he deserve title shot consideration? yes.

Both Rampage and A. Silva have 3 more impressive wins considering the stakes involved imo.

Post #13   12/18/07 11:58:19PM   

Believe-in-judo81

Standup Guy

Believe-in-judo81 Avatar

Chips:
If you ask me the fighter of the year right now is Rampage by a wide margin. But if Soko sleeps Machida he takes it in my book.

Post #14   12/19/07 5:42:13AM   

JWils

Standup Guy

JWils Avatar

Career:1,467-773
Chips:
Very good thread. Everyone has made great points.

I voted "no" because I feel that Rampage deserves the honor. Rampage is in the most popular organization. He KO'ed Eastman just like he was supposed to. He KO'ed the UFC's biggest star in Liddell. Finally, he gutted out a well earned win over one of the best pound for pound fighters in the world in Henderson.

Big wins on the biggest stage = Fighter of the Year, imo.

If Soko KO's Machida, which is a big "if", he deserves to be in the discussion with Page, Silva, & Couture.

Post #15   12/19/07 12:02:45PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2