Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Should UFC pride open a featherweight Division?

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

THE_AXE_MURDERER

MMA Regular

THE_AXE_MURDERER Avatar

Career:76-48
Camp: Rascal Fight Team
Chips:
What does IMO mean?

Post #16   2/14/07 12:59:04AM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,500-932
Chips:

Posted by THE_AXE_MURDERER

What does IMO mean?

In My Opinion

Sometimes you will also see the variation "IMHO" - In My Honest Opinion

Post #17   2/14/07 5:40:48AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,993-1,122
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Props-I never thought of that since I'm in the US and we go by lbs. I'm not even sure what the ratio is kg. to lb. . I'll have to look it up thanks

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #18   2/14/07 12:52:37PM   

Snacks

MMA Regular

Snacks Avatar

Career:25-13
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

Props-I never thought of that since I'm in the US and we go by lbs. I'm not even sure what the ratio is kg. to lb. . I'll have to look it up thanks

It'd be like ... 138, or around there.

Post #19   2/14/07 1:21:31PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:
Thanks again. Kid is only 5 ft. 4 , but he's buff. I wonder if he would have trouble making that weight. He's trying to make the olympic wrestling team, and wrestlers are great at cutting. He could probably do it.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #20   2/14/07 1:50:35PM   

OB_Juan

MMA Regular

OB_Juan Avatar

Career:481-329
Camp: Bloodyknux.com
Chips:
Multiply pounds by 2.2 to get kilos. Thanks in advance for the props.

Last edited 2/14/07 4:04PM server time by OB_Juan
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #21   2/14/07 3:47:40PM   

Snacks

MMA Regular

Snacks Avatar

Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

Thanks again. Kid is only 5 ft. 4 , but he's buff. I wonder if he would have trouble making that weight. He's trying to make the olympic wrestling team, and wrestlers are great at cutting. He could probably do it.

If KID tried he could probably make 123.

Post #22   2/14/07 7:27:31PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Snacks

Posted by hippysmacker

Is that the weight he's going for in the Olympics? It seems a huge cut. Kudos to him if he makes it

The Iron Code

Post #23   2/14/07 7:32:10PM   

Snacks

MMA Regular

Snacks Avatar

Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by Snacks

Posted by hippysmacker

Is that the weight he's going for in the Olympics? It seems a huge cut. Kudos to him if he makes it

I believe he's wrestling at 132. But he's not really cutting weight to make 143, so he could probably make 123.

Post #24   2/14/07 8:00:01PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:
With TUF 5 being about lightweights it's a fair bet some of those guys wil be small fro 155. So that would help with a eatherweight division. It would also then be a possibility then for the UFC not to change any of their current weight divisions and just make featherweight 140.

The Iron Code

Post #25   2/14/07 8:13:38PM   

Snacks

MMA Regular

Snacks Avatar

Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

With TUF 5 being about lightweights it's a fair bet some of those guys wil be small fro 155. So that would help with a eatherweight division. It would also then be a possibility then for the UFC not to change any of their current weight divisions and just make featherweight 140.

The UFC isn't planning to makea 145 division anytime soon, they've only set one up in WEC.

Post #26   2/14/07 8:17:21PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Snacks

Posted by hippysmacker

The UFC isn't planning to makea 145 division anytime soon, they've only set one up in WEC.

Let's hope that's just a trial to see how well it goes over. Who know's TUF 6 could be featherweights.

The Iron Code

Post #27   2/14/07 8:23:00PM   

OB_Juan

MMA Regular

OB_Juan Avatar

Chips:
To be completely honest, I REALLY don't like those suggested weight classes. In fact I'll say that jumping 15 lbs in each div is pretty stupid. There's a reason the increments increase as the divs go up... it's called percentages. 15 lbs difference to a 140 lb guy is HUGE compared to a 200 lb guy. If the UFC opens a FW div it will be at the already recognized weight of 145 lbs.

You didn't even touch the HW div (ie: no SHW 220+?) which is probably the one that actually needs it most. IMO the current NSAC weight divs are fine but I think they should lower the cut off for HW/SHW. There are guys like Randy and Matyushenko that would be better suited fighting in the 220 - 230 lb range rather than cutting to 205 but have a hard time hanging w/ monsters that out weight them by 40+ lbs.

IMO they should lower the HW limit to 240ish. That would potentially increase talent in both the HW AND the SHW divs. Guys that walk around at 250 - 260ish would have the option of cutting down to HW or fighting their fellow big boys. Right now the SHW div is drab and shallow but add guys like Sylvia and it could become legit while allowing for a broader range of competitve talent at HW.

I'm not trying to rag on you personally, I just think your logic is seriously flawed. If it ain't broke, don't fix it kind of thing.

Post #28   2/15/07 2:46:37PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:
agree to disagree then

The Iron Code

Post #29   2/15/07 3:21:56PM   

OB_Juan

MMA Regular

OB_Juan Avatar

Chips:
I'm just saying... look at amateur wrestling or boxing or whatever. The increments between weight classes start off small and get larger as the competitors go up in weight. It's about percentages.

Post #30   2/16/07 2:09:01PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2