Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Should UFC pride open a featherweight Division?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:2,025-1,145
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I think this would be good for the sport, especially if they both did it. Kid Yamamoto would be the prize for whoever signed him IMO. Here's my manifesto and why.

1. Adjust all weight classe to make them universal in both orgs.This would make cross-promotion more likely, and make all weight classes stronger. Pride would need to add a welterweight division, but they have plenty of guys already who would do better in this weight IMO.( Suloev, Aoki, Chonan,Lawler etc.)
145-featherweight
160-lightweight
175-welterweight
190-middleweight
205-LHYweight-( stays the same because their was a 20 lb. difference instead of 15
HVY-same

2. We have all seen how exciting the lightweight's are. Smaller fighter's generally are faster and have better stamina.

3. MMA is expanding and I think they will need all the fighter's they can get to keep up.

4, Smaller guys like KId, Hominick, Faber, Inoe and allt he rest are at a distinct disadvantage fighting guys so much taller and naturally heavier than themselves and could be wore down by LnP style fighter's .

5. If the UFC truly wants to go to weekly fight's they need more fighter's.

Last edited 2/12/07 4:16AM server time by hippysmacker
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #1   2/12/07 4:03:09AM   

gspfan31

MMA Regular

gspfan31 Avatar

Career:98-51
Chips:
i some what agree with you but i think they should add 170 and just tell gomi to cut to 155

Post #2   2/12/07 4:16:37AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:
That would be good also. At least Pride would have another weight class, and some of thier fighter's wouldn't be undersized at their weight anymore.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #3   2/12/07 4:17:42AM   

aceprone

Standup Guy

aceprone Avatar

Career:1,037-635
Camp: Slackers
Chips:
And having more weights classes closer to eachother can allow more fighters to jump between weight classes, making for more exciting fights, and deepening the weight divisions.

Last edited 2/12/07 4:19AM server time by aceprone
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   2/12/07 4:19:14AM   

gspfan31

MMA Regular

gspfan31 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

That would be good also. At least Pride would have another weight class, and some of thier fighter's wouldn't be undersized at their weight anymore.

and then we could also make some fair comparisons between fighters in the ufc and pride since they would be fighting at the same weight

Post #5   2/12/07 4:19:54AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:

Posted by gspfan31

Posted by hippysmacker

and then we could also make some fair comparisons between fighters in the ufc and pride since they would be fighting at the same weight

Exactamundo. I think it would also help Pride's chances in the US.

The Iron Code

Post #6   2/12/07 4:26:48AM   

gspfan31

MMA Regular

gspfan31 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by gspfan31

Posted by hippysmacker

i think pride will most likely fail in the us anyways, but i hope that doesn't happen. they really don't have any casual fans like the ufc. look at the real deal show, the only times there were boos was when the nsac was introduced

Post #7   2/12/07 4:32:46AM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:
if it were up to me i would love Featherweight..even Flyweight those little guys are animals!

Post #8   2/12/07 4:50:10AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:

Posted by gspfan31

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by gspfan31

Posted by hippysmacker

i think pride will most likely fail in the us anyways, but i hope that doesn't happen. they really don't have any casual fans like the ufc. look at the real deal show, the only times there were boos was when the nsac was introduced

That was also their first US show , where the overwhelming majority were diehards IMO. We should have a better read how they are doing after their 3rd or 4th PPV. Since they only did 50,000 PPV buys on the real deal, they have a long way to go. If they can get around 200,000 by the 4th one I think they will be on the way.

The Iron Code

Post #9   2/12/07 5:12:23AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:
I've actuallly never heard of a flyweight fight in the US , so I'm sure if their would be enough fighter's for the UFC to promote. i don't think they would want all foreign( non- english speaking) fighter's.

The Iron Code

Post #10   2/12/07 7:30:03AM   

JunCTion

READY TO SMILE AND LOVE LIFE!!

JunCTion Avatar

Career:543-390
Camp: Camp David
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

I think this would be good for the sport, especially if they both did it. Kid Yamamoto would be the prize for whoever signed him IMO. Here's my manifesto and why.

1. Adjust all weight classe to make them universal in both orgs.This would make cross-promotion more likely, and make all weight classes stronger. Pride would need to add a welterweight division, but they have plenty of guys already who would do better in this weight IMO.( Suloev, Aoki, Chonan,Lawler etc.)
145-featherweight
160-lightweight
175-welterweight
190-middleweight
205-LHYweight-( stays the same because their was a 20 lb. difference instead of 15
HVY-same

2. We have all seen how exciting the lightweight's are. Smaller fighter's generally are faster and have better stamina.

3. MMA is expanding and I think they will need all the fighter's they can get to keep up.

4, Smaller guys like KId, Hominick, Faber, Inoe and allt he rest are at a distinct disadvantage fighting guys so much taller and naturally heavier than themselves and could be wore down by LnP style fighter's .

5. If the UFC truly wants to go to weekly fight's they need more fighter's.

i like watching the litle guy fight. they have tons of energy and conditioning and almost all of the fights are entertaning from start to finish

Post #11   2/13/07 3:00:24AM   

unchillphil

MMA Regular

unchillphil Avatar

Career:2,278-1,250
Chips:
I've never watched a featherweight fight that I didn't find entertaining. These guys are so full of energy, it's like pure dynamite! There's always some action and you can't blink.

Hominick vs Faber at 145 would deserve to be on a UFC card. And who wouldn't want to watch it?

Post #12   2/13/07 3:20:50AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:
Agreed. Hominick vs faber would be great . The smartest thing that could happen to the UFC if they started this division would be to get Kid Yamamoto though. Some smaller 155 guys would move down, but they would probably need to get a lot of the top guys from Shooto to really pull it off.

The Iron Code

Post #13   2/13/07 9:45:44PM   

OB_Juan

MMA Regular

OB_Juan Avatar

Career:481-329
Camp: Bloodyknux.com
Chips:
No. Not for a while anyhow. They just brought back the LW div. While I enjoy the LWs the majority of casual MMA fans prefer watching the big boys even if they're far less skilled than the smaller guys. It will be a long time before the smaller guys get the credit they deserve but TUF5 could help get some momentum.

Post #14   2/14/07 12:46:20AM   

Snacks

MMA Regular

Snacks Avatar

Career:25-13
Chips:
Pride's measurement of 10 KG per weight class wouldn't make a lw, it'd make a type of catch-weight for featherweight/Bantamweight.

So yeah, because I want to see more Matsune.

Post #15   2/14/07 12:51:38AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2