Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

OFFICAL Pride vs UFC thread

Print  
  Page 9 of 18   <<   6     7     8     9     10     11     12   >>
Posted By Message

wagere

MMA Regular

wagere Avatar

Career:910-552
Camp: OHIO TOP TEAM
Chips:
It seems that way on paper but the Pride fighters keep losing to the UFC fighters.

Post #121   5/14/07 10:05:28AM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:
pride nuthugging at its best.....ifs funny how 5 of prides guys would be nothing without the ufc....coleman, randleman, frye, barnett, goodridge.

Post #122   5/14/07 3:48:00PM   

rameydl8

Standup Guy

rameydl8 Avatar

Career:354-206
Camp: Minford manglas
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

This is the 4th UFC vs Pride thread( In one form or another) in a month, God help us all. I love MMA ,and will never love any org more than the other.

UFC advantages IMO-- has no freak show matches, makes the champs defend their belts, know's how to produce a show, never cuts away to audience shot's in the middle of a round,allow elbows , no soocer kicks or footstomps which are bad IMO and generally let's their fighter's know who they are fighting in advance.

Pride advantages IMO-Signifigantly more depth at HVY, the best fighter in the world IMO( Fedor), Allows knee's to the head on the ground, more knowledgable and repectful fans as a whole, more proven ( this does not mean better) lightweights at least against eachother

Does this make one beter IMO. No, I love them both and all MMA. I'm going to pin this topic and change the title to pride vs UFC. That way no one will hjave to start anymore of these threads.

Post #123   5/19/07 3:44:04PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I don't really get the "pride guys keep losing to UFC guys" comment... I'm pretty sure there are at least as many successful crossovers as unsuccessful. Crocop and gomi are really the only pride fighters that have lost to UFC fighters, but PRIDE has also seen success in anderson silva and quinton jackson. I think that ultimately PRIDE has more of the top fighters all around, but we're just going to see both talent pools blend completely to settle all of these arguments soon enough anyway.

Saying that "5 of PRIDE's fighters are only around because of UFC" is also ridiculous.... there are fighters in the UFC who started in PRIDE... and all of these fighters started somewhere else befor either organization... pancrase, shooto, KOTC, etc, etc. does that mean whatever organization they started in is superior? Are any of the fighters that you listed other than Barnett even contenders? Does any of that really matter?

Personally I prefer PRIDE rules. I think that elbows generally just end up opening cuts which stop the fight prematurely, and this doesn't really show us who the more skilled fighter is. (fedor vs kosaka in RINGS is a good example of this) Soccer kicks and stomps are an effective tactic for assaulting someone trying to pull guard on you while you are still standing... how much sense does it make to throw a superman punch at someone who can upkick you when you can just soccer kick or stomp them? These attackes really aren't any more dangerous than a solid highkick or a standing knee in the clinch.

I also prefer the cage as it prevents a lot of unnecessary restarts... that's too bad if the handful of people at the actual event can't see as well, it makes for a better fight.

There are a lot of things I prefer about each organization, but both are great. The one thing I am very disappointed to see going is the judging system we see in PRIDE. I think most of the other differences are pretty inconsequential, but the difference between round by round scoring and PRIDE scoring is what makes the biggest difference in my mind. Take a look at fights like nogueira vs rodriguez... if that were scored by UFC rules rodriguez would have won as a result of his very boring performance. He did maintain the "dominant position" and land a lot of really pointless strikes, but nogueira was the one trying to finish the fight. His attempts might have fallen short, but his efforts to WIN as opposed to NOT LOSE are what gave him a victory. The scoring and the card system just force the fighters to put on a more entertaining fight.

Post #124   5/27/07 3:33:28AM   

TheHitmanTL

Standup Guy

TheHitmanTL Avatar

Career:237-188
Chips:
i say screw it man...who is better pride or ufc? WHO CARES!!!!!! you know as long as these fighters keep putting on spectcular shows and entertaining me...im fine. they are all fighters and that is all that matters when you think about it any fighter can be beaten by any fighter i mean just look at keith jardine's last fight he got messed up by a nobody also look at all the other upsets this year. it shouldn't matter what organization is better because in reality its all one big organization......ITS CALLED MIXED MARTIAL ARTS!!!!!!!

Post #125   5/31/07 10:15:12PM   

Signal2112

Standup Guy

Signal2112 Avatar

Career:52-22
Chips:
Yeah, Jardine really dropped the ball there...what a shocker!

Post #126   6/5/07 6:27:31AM   

wagere

MMA Regular

wagere Avatar

Career:910-552
Camp: OHIO TOP TEAM
Chips:
since the purchase

Post #127   6/6/07 4:06:18PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:

Posted by Aether

I don't really get the "pride guys keep losing to UFC guys" comment... I'm pretty sure there are at least as many successful crossovers as unsuccessful. Crocop and gomi are really the only pride fighters that have lost to UFC fighters, but PRIDE has also seen success in anderson silva and quinton jackson. I think that ultimately PRIDE has more of the top fighters all around, but we're just going to see both talent pools blend completely to settle all of these arguments soon enough anyway.

Saying that "5 of PRIDE's fighters are only around because of UFC" is also ridiculous.... there are fighters in the UFC who started in PRIDE... and all of these fighters started somewhere else befor either organization... pancrase, shooto, KOTC, etc, etc. does that mean whatever organization they started in is superior? Are any of the fighters that you listed other than Barnett even contenders? Does any of that really matter?

Personally I prefer PRIDE rules. I think that elbows generally just end up opening cuts which stop the fight prematurely, and this doesn't really show us who the more skilled fighter is. (fedor vs kosaka in RINGS is a good example of this) Soccer kicks and stomps are an effective tactic for assaulting someone trying to pull guard on you while you are still standing... how much sense does it make to throw a superman punch at someone who can upkick you when you can just soccer kick or stomp them? These attackes really aren't any more dangerous than a solid highkick or a standing knee in the clinch.

I also prefer the cage as it prevents a lot of unnecessary restarts... that's too bad if the handful of people at the actual event can't see as well, it makes for a better fight.

There are a lot of things I prefer about each organization, but both are great. The one thing I am very disappointed to see going is the judging system we see in PRIDE. I think most of the other differences are pretty inconsequential, but the difference between round by round scoring and PRIDE scoring is what makes the biggest difference in my mind. Take a look at fights like nogueira vs rodriguez... if that were scored by UFC rules rodriguez would have won as a result of his very boring performance. He did maintain the "dominant position" and land a lot of really pointless strikes, but nogueira was the one trying to finish the fight. His attempts might have fallen short, but his efforts to WIN as opposed to NOT LOSE are what gave him a victory. The scoring and the card system just force the fighters to put on a more entertaining fight.

I don't agree with the elbows claim you make. I can't remember a fight in recent memory in the UFC that was stopped due to a cut.

Post #128   6/6/07 4:38:23PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I don't think that it's a frequent occurrence, just that when elbows are used at all, that seems to be their primary effect - opening cuts, whether those cuts stop the fight or not.

Post #129   6/7/07 4:25:12AM   

ac_gi

Standup Guy

ac_gi Avatar

Career:1,671-1,011
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
Does this still need to be "pinned." It's kind of pointless now.

Post #130   6/13/07 4:26:26AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,932-1,089
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I de-pinned it for a couple of weeks. It's back now because the same tired arguments keep spilling over the forums, and they always become insult laden arguments. Please keep all the UFC vs Pride chit-chat here.
thanks
ADMIN

Last edited 7/7/07 2:39AM server time by hippysmacker
Edit note/reason: n/a

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #131   7/7/07 2:39:05AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,853-1,062
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Pride v. UFC = USA v. USSR

They never really fought each other... one had a better economy... and now only one is still around

Last edited 7/7/07 2:47AM server time by ncordless
Edit note/reason: took away some horses
2 total post edits

Post #132   7/7/07 2:44:15AM   

TOMMYAYO05

MMA Sensei

TOMMYAYO05 Avatar

Career:481-312
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
Pride is better with the heavyweights and light heavyweights witth the hw consisting of crocop,fedor,hunt,big nog,barnett and the lhw shogun,silva,rampage,hendo,arona,lil nog,sokudujo

Post #133   7/7/07 4:01:44AM   

nibrack11

Banned

Career:99-53
Chips:
pride has better fighters but i like UFC more then pride.

Post #134   7/7/07 12:15:52PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
Maybe enuf of these will kill this thing. It's done!!!!! I was a PRIDE guy, but c'mon. Aren't we all done with this?

Last edited 7/21/07 7:04PM server time by zephead
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #135   7/7/07 5:31:40PM   

Page 9 of 18   <<   6     7     8     9     10     11     12   >>