Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

OFFICAL Pride vs UFC thread

Print  
  Page 6 of 18   <<   3     4     5     6     7     8     9   >>
Posted By Message

chop-socky-flix

Learning to Sprawl

Career:320-185
Camp: pandorasbox
Chips:

Posted by theBLADE

SIMPLE if u dont like UFC dont watch it! if u dont like PRIDE dont watch it!
be mma fans people

HAHa good try!!!

This gets on my nerves aswell i do however distinguish between UFC, Pride and MMA.

You should have said 'Be an MMA fan not a (insert organisation here) fan'

If you are american UFC did not invent MMA (shock horror!!)

If you are Japanese PRIDE did not invent MMA either (no surely not!!)

The 'organisations' (when people say the sport of UFC it always pixses me off) are simply that, organisations. MMA is a combat sport and sadly the rules do vary but in essence they are the same.

phew.

Post #76   3/6/07 10:39:29AM   

jocksmall

In Full Mount

Career:213-134
Chips:
this argument has three sides, its kinda funny
1) i prefer pride shows over ufc shows
2) i prefer ufc shows over pride shows
3) your a "nuthugger" if you like one better than the other you should be a mma fan

i understand why some like pride and some like ufc . i dont understand why some are offened by poeple who like one better than the other and support there point of view with arguments. my guy is better than your guy etc..
if you like pride and think that ufc shows are a ripoff as far as value does that mean your not a mma fan? if you like ufc and think that pride is stupid for having champs fight nontitle fights and allowing fights to go too far when guys get hurt does that mean your not a mma fan?
im a dallas cowboy fan does that mean im not a nfl fan?
3 or 4 guys come over to my house for every ufc event and every pride event and have been doing so since bas rutten beat randleman for ufc title. i have all of the shows prior on tape and many rage of the cage box sets as well. i like most all of you support mma finacially. but right now i just prefer the pride shows to the ones the ufc are putting on. did you see final conflict?
i love the tournys
i feel ripped off when i get only 4 fights and 2 are decisions
i love hearing the pride refs yell "fight"
as ufc brings in more talent my mind could change but right now im convinced that pride puts on a better show.
and those of you who say you like both i say so do i . i am just honest enough to say which i like better.
i like pizza and i like beer but i like beer better

Post #77   3/6/07 11:16:30PM   

MMA

Pimpin

MMA Avatar

Career:672-349
Chips:
Both organizations have their pros and cons. I am sort of waiting for that one day in MMA history when either one of these major organizations collapses and the other takes over and makes a monopoly.

The thing is, if UFC takes over (which is the more probable scenario), we will never see knees, foot stomps, etc. again. I really hope Dana changes those rules, the UFC tends to favor wrestlers without those rules. =\

Post #78   3/6/07 11:20:04PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:
its not up to Dana wether they can use foot stomps or knees...its up to the state commision. right now the nevada state commission wont allow those things to happen bc they are just too dangerous to the fighters which is why prode can use them bc they are located in japan.

Post #79   3/7/07 2:02:03AM   

Jeffanori-Gomi

Standup Guy

Career:34-26
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

its not up to Dana wether they can use foot stomps or knees...its up to the state commision. right now the nevada state commission wont allow those things to happen bc they are just too dangerous to the fighters which is why prode can use them bc they are located in japan.

you are right about this but how come IFL allows knee strikes on the ground?

Post #80   3/7/07 1:34:09PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

you are right about this but how come IFL allows knee strikes on the ground?

IFL doesnt operate in Nevada. They are focused on the east coast mostly.it'll just be up each states individual judgement i assume

Post #81   3/7/07 9:16:18PM   

Berti

MMA Regular

Berti Avatar

Career:1,665-948
Camp: Cat's Den
Chips:
to me its not about pride or ufc, thats the very thing that will hold them back as a sport...only buying one ppv or the other, we get both and support both, im a mma fan more then a ufc or pride fan...

Post #82   3/8/07 5:20:45PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:

Posted by MMA

Both organizations have their pros and cons. I am sort of waiting for that one day in MMA history when either one of these major organizations collapses and the other takes over and makes a monopoly.

The thing is, if UFC takes over (which is the more probable scenario), we will never see knees, foot stomps, etc. again. I really hope Dana changes those rules, the UFC tends to favor wrestlers without those rules. =\

It's up to each states Atheletic Commission. Dana has no say over them. Japan doesn't have commisions that regulate sports like the USA does.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #83   3/8/07 5:32:07PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Chips:
i for one love the fact that the rules can vary... the no knees to downed opponents could help some ppl where as allowing them would help others. Wandy might have fewer wins (probly only by 2 - 3 wins) had he stayed in the ufc but also Liddell leaves himself wide open for the head kick when he is scrambling to get up. i support having multiple organizations. but also at the same time i would love all the major mma orgs. to have a partenership for a world league for all the champs and #1 contenders and such

Last edited 3/9/07 4:34PM server time by mkiv9secsupra
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #84   3/8/07 6:41:30PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

UFC 70 is in the UK... Are stomps / soccerkicks banned by any org in England? For the sake of arguement, lets say they are allowed, Dana has stated that he will not change the rules...

So, I guess take that for what it's worth... I personally think they should be allowed... I don't see anything wrong with promoting something that leads to more fights being finished by the fighters as appose to LnP fights that go into the judge's hands...

If there are no specific sanctions in England or elsewhere in Europe, I wish the UFC would look into doing a tournament set up similar to Pride's... Tell me a UFC LHW tourny wouldn't be the shit!!

Post #85   3/9/07 4:14:09PM   

ryderstrong69

MMA Regular

ryderstrong69 Avatar

Career:441-287
Camp: Cat's Den
Chips:
over all i like the UFC better with the exception of the heavyweight divison i think the UFC has much more depth to them, Pride seems to much like pro wrestling with match ups like fedor vs zulu or any fight involving giant silva, i also think the cage is much better for mma fightng than the ring because you have less restarts, my only compalint on the UFC and its not there fault but the state commsions is that they dont allow knees to a grounded opponents head, but at the same time i love that they allow elbows and i never understood why pride allows knees stomping and soccer kicks but no elbows

Post #86   3/9/07 11:52:51PM   

Ultimate_fighter

Banned

Career:270-165
Chips:
I hate pride compare to UFC. UFC has so much more talent. Pride's fights are boring to me and u no who the winner is right when the step in the ring, and a ring? come on, try a CAGE, the octagon!!! I also hate pride's time limts, 10 mins, 5 mins, 5 mins. And the rules are dumb too! u cant use ur elbow on the ground BUT,,,, u can head stomp someone!?! The manager of pride don't care about his fighters! its dumb! i love UFC. THEE FASTEST GROWING SPORT!

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #87   3/11/07 6:17:42PM   

Gladiator

In Full Mount

Gladiator Avatar

Career:896-523
Chips:

Posted by Ultimate_fighter

I hate pride compare to UFC. UFC has so much more talent. Pride's fights are boring to me and u no who the winner is right when the step in the ring, and a ring? come on, try a CAGE, the octagon!!! I also hate pride's time limts, 10 mins, 5 mins, 5 mins. And the rules are dumb too! u cant use ur elbow on the ground BUT,,,, u can head stomp someone!?! The manager of pride don't care about his fighters! its dumb! i love UFC. THEE FASTEST GROWING SPORT!

ufc is not the fastest growing sport... MMA is. i like the ufc better as well but its pretty obvious u dont know too much about pride when u say their fights are predictable, or maybe u just didnt see the last event. i actually like the 10 min first round and wish the ufc would allow soccer kicks so it wouldnt be so biased for wrestlers.

Post #88   3/11/07 6:34:16PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Chips:

does this guy know what hes talking about? someone fill him in....

Post #89   3/12/07 1:07:09AM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

does this guy know what hes talking about? someone fill him in....

No i don't think he does...

10 minute 1st round is fantastic... I can think of a few fights off the top of my head that could have been finished but the 1st five minutes ran out...

I think they allow kicks / knees because while they can be devistating techniques but they aren't AS prone to cutting your opponents as elbows are... So you don't get as many bullshit stoppages...

When I first started watching MMA, I thought that the cage kind of symbolized what it was about... The more I watched the more I realized that it was actually visually easier to see what was going on with just the ropes as appose to looking through chainlink... I've slowly changed my line of reasoning, and now believe that the ring adds legitimacy to the sport, and see the cage as kind of unnecesarry...

You should really sit back and watch some more Pride instead of just hating on it...

You must do really well wagering on Pride events because they are so predictable...

Have Soko, Diaz, and Hendo all the way, huh?

Post #90   3/16/07 4:38:12PM   

Page 6 of 18   <<   3     4     5     6     7     8     9   >>