Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

OFFICAL Pride vs UFC thread

Print  
  Page 5 of 18   <<   2     3     4     5     6     7     8   >>
Posted By Message

dstlvb

MMA Regular

dstlvb Avatar

Career:373-248
Chips:
I dont understand the Pride has better fightewrs argument. At least not anymore. Just a galnce at the top 10 rankings show the UFC and Pride have split the top 10's in most weight classes almost evenly. P4P UFC-5, Pride-5
Heavywieghts Pride-5, UFC-5( counting Vera) Lightheavy UFC-5, Pride-5 MIddlewights UFC-4, Pride-5 Welterwights UFC -7 Pride-3 Lightwights UFC- 2
Pride-7.

SO besides UFC and Pride trading the WW for the LW everything else is even.

Post #61   3/2/07 5:23:52PM   

greeneyebandit

Learning to Sprawl

greeneyebandit Avatar

Career:200-146
Camp: duXup
Chips:
MMA is like barenukle fighting was in the late 1800's...and here is why...it is very popular...has a strong following, yet lacks total unification which may be a good thing, and a bad thing. Each organization brings good concepts to the table. I personally would like unification. This would allow the organization heads to act as promoters like boxing has today i.e. Don King, Bob Arum etc. but the best part is that all fighters would have an opportunity to fight each. One champ in each division with top contenders fighting for title shots.

Post #62   3/2/07 10:01:29PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:

Posted by greeneyebandit

MMA is like barenukle fighting was in the late 1800's...and here is why...it is very popular...has a strong following, yet lacks total unification which may be a good thing, and a bad thing. Each organization brings good concepts to the table. I personally would like unification. This would allow the organization heads to act as promoters like boxing has today i.e. Don King, Bob Arum etc. but the best part is that all fighters would have an opportunity to fight each. One champ in each division with top contenders fighting for title shots.

No thanks. Look how corrupt boxing is. The promoter runs the bussiness. Boxing has so many different belts. Nothing organized about their Champs at all.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #63   3/2/07 11:00:43PM   

greeneyebandit

Learning to Sprawl

greeneyebandit Avatar

Chips:
Your right about all the different belts...thats why I said there is good and bad to the scenario. But my point is the fans want to see fighters from different org's fight and that won't happen without some kind of merger. If this sport continues to grow like it is it's only a matter of time.

Post #64   3/2/07 11:17:45PM   

BloodandTears

Standup Guy

BloodandTears Avatar

Career:322-195
Chips:

Posted by greeneyebandit

Your right about all the different belts...thats why I said there is good and bad to the scenario. But my point is the fans want to see fighters from different org's fight and that won't happen without some kind of merger. If this sport continues to grow like it is it's only a matter of time.

Consider that your first Props Bandit. Good thought. I'd rather see it like that, than never seeing a unified champ. It is only a matter of time. There is no sporting event thats immune to corruption! MMA is NOT an acception!

Post #65   3/3/07 4:11:32PM   

Baltimore_Brawler

Learning to Sprawl

Baltimore_Brawler Avatar

Career:119-79
Chips:
I like pride better

their rules r better
n they have better more talented fighters
n deifinatly the croud is better

i think spike should put more pride fights on instead of ufc

tha only reason ufc is on is because they have more money
pride is a better all around organization

Post #66   3/3/07 4:12:50PM   

theBLADE

Learning to Sprawl

theBLADE Avatar

Career:309-205
Camp: So Cal Assasins
Chips:
SIMPLE if u dont like UFC dont watch it! if u dont like PRIDE dont watch it!
be mma fans people

Post #67   3/3/07 4:15:06PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:

Posted by theBLADE

SIMPLE if u dont like UFC dont watch it! if u dont like PRIDE dont watch it!
be mma fans people

If only it was that simple. I have been saying that for years. People just want something to complain about.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #68   3/3/07 4:24:16PM   

Baltimore_Brawler

Learning to Sprawl

Baltimore_Brawler Avatar

Career:119-79
Chips:
i like both of them

i jus like pride better

Post #69   3/3/07 4:24:22PM   

theBLADE

Learning to Sprawl

theBLADE Avatar

Career:309-205
Camp: So Cal Assasins
Chips:
were only about to have 1 org anyway beings that the UFC just bought PRIDE..............

Post #70   3/3/07 4:32:30PM   

greeneyebandit

Learning to Sprawl

greeneyebandit Avatar

Chips:
Then my point has been made...now let all speculation take a back seat...and let the real action begin... who's the man that can dominate each weight without someone saying he didn't fight the best...the best is with this org or that org.

Post #71   3/4/07 12:43:12AM   

farcode

Learning to Sprawl

farcode Avatar

Career:281-193
Chips:
Pride cards > UFC cards

Post #72   3/4/07 2:17:47AM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
after watching ufc 68 and pride 33 in the matter of 1 week.. pride just compels me to watch more.. ufc crams 5 fights into 4 hours with about 2 hours of joe rogan and goldberg talkin about nothing.. the intro with the gladiator seems very out-dated to me..

Post #73   3/4/07 2:39:10AM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:
Pride better watch out...If they lose another top fighter like Wanderlei or Minotauro they might just be going out of the game. they have already started the downward spiral with losing the tv deal in japan and losing CC and Rampage. If they keep on with this they might not be on TV within the next few years. The ufc marketing machine will take everything possible from pride if they can. i dont object either...i would rather a merger between the companies happen rather than a monopoly but the idea of the WORLDS top fighters in one organization rather than two.

Last edited 3/5/07 5:33PM server time by mkiv9secsupra
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #74   3/5/07 1:56:16PM   

Joealn

Learning to Sprawl

Career:12-12
Chips:
I agree. Pride seems to have the more talented fighters. Fedor and Cro Cop are probably the most talked about fighters in the world. And without doubt, the Pride heavyweights outclass UFC HWs. Barnett, Hunt, Big Nog...any one of the top five HWs in Pride could take the UFC HW title with ease.
UFC has some greats though; Randy, GSP, Chuck...so sometimes its hard to say.

Post #75   3/5/07 9:02:23PM   

Page 5 of 18   <<   2     3     4     5     6     7     8   >>