Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

OFFICAL Pride vs UFC thread

Print  
  Page 13 of 18   <<   10     11     12     13     14     15     16   >>
Posted By Message

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

haha, i'm not bashing anyone, I just wanted to show everyone that hey lots of UFC stars have gone there and done worse, don't write these pride guys off yet, and don't say their "weak" because thats just garbage.

I agree completely.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #181   10/10/07 8:07:14PM   

hathcock32

In Full Mount

hathcock32 Avatar

Career:1,222-765
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:
I meant weak as in some of them don't know how to train for a fight. Ive watched all the big fights iv'e seen all the PRIDE fights. I loved PRIDE. The fact is i think the competition top to bottom is way better in the UFC. I wish Pride was still around. The only thing i dont like about Pride is the people that think it was so much better than the UFC. I love MMA period CMILL. Im not bashing pride at all.

Post #182   10/11/07 7:52:26PM   

jocksmall

In Full Mount

Career:213-134
Chips:
i think the ufc just did a better job marketing the events and presenting fighters as the best. some are some are not . but to me that is the main difference. many of you guys have pointed out the losses of pride guys but i still consider rampage and anderson pride guys. most of the newfound depth has been generated by pride guys.

Last edited 10/15/07 9:12PM server time by jocksmall
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #183   10/15/07 9:09:34PM   

Chudly

Banned

Career:27-10
Chips:
I hope they can ////

Post #184   10/18/07 6:16:37PM   

Riggeee

MMA Regular

Riggeee Avatar

Career:686-426
Chips:
i think pride put better events on but they had money issues alot at the end and had to sell it to the ufc so ufc did better in the money aspect of it i still like the ufc

Post #185   10/22/07 6:32:29PM   

skatenate

MMA Regular

skatenate Avatar

Career:217-119
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
UFC ROCKS!!!!

Post #186   11/26/07 10:39:51PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Going through my Pride Collection, there is ussually at least 5 top 10 fighters on most of the cards. I also came up with an obvious reason, the UFC AC's to deal with, Pride didn't. Now I love pride, the stomps and ring made the ground game harder, but I think for the fighters the UFC is safer. Come on UFC do a couple shows under the ole pride banner that you spent 70 mil on and make some Yen.

Post #187   11/26/07 10:45:07PM   

TimW001

MMA Sensei

TimW001 Avatar

Career:724-436
Chips:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5o9VaohLoM

Post #188   11/26/07 11:53:44PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Going through my Pride Collection, there is ussually at least 5 top 10 fighters on most of the cards. I also came up with an obvious reason, the UFC AC's to deal with, Pride didn't. Now I love pride, the stomps and ring made the ground game harder, but I think for the fighters the UFC is safer. Come on UFC do a couple shows under the ole pride banner that you spent 70 mil on and make some Yen.

But alot of those Top 5 fighters were fighting cans. Or the belt holder was fighting a non-title fight or it was Silva vs. Saku 4 or Fedor Big Nog 8 or Fedor vs. Zulu or Mirko vs. Dos etc. etc.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #189   11/30/07 3:23:59PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by zephead

Posted by cmill21

But alot of those Top 5 fighters were fighting cans. Or the belt holder was fighting a non-title fight or it was Silva vs. Saku 4 or Fedor Big Nog 8 or Fedor vs. Zulu or Mirko vs. Dos etc. etc.

True, but you still get some of that in the UFC, thier "tune up" fights, and there reamatches get angering when they have all the guys waiting in line for their shots. If your the fan of a fighter though you don't really care who he's fighting it seems, people just love seeing there guy fight. I was just pointing out the benifit of having the AC's, since your fighter will be fighting as close to healthy as he can, and thats always nice, even if you don;t get to see him as much. Side note, I was watching the Rampage Chuck 1 with Dana commenting, and he sounds alot like I do when I'm trying to tell people who don't know about a fighter, how he normally fights lol. Dana's a huuuge fan, and it's funny because you don't get to see that side of him alot, but it's true he has his favorites like we all do and he loves to watch em. I don't even think Gary Bettman watches hockey

Post #190   11/30/07 3:57:03PM   

MMA Regular

905010 Avatar

Career:312-203
Chips:
Both orgainizations have there own pro's and con's. Bussiness Wise, UFC is better set up for the long term and can market great to the general public. One of my Favortie Things about pride is that, generaly anyone who watches it's events knows alot about mma, and that the japense fans are so respectful and never boo, like alot of the fans at the UFC's events. You can't say witch one is better, but you like each one for it's own reasons.

Post #191   12/1/07 6:14:58PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Posted by zephead

Posted by cmill21

True, but you still get some of that in the UFC, thier "tune up" fights, and there reamatches get angering when they have all the guys waiting in line for their shots. If your the fan of a fighter though you don't really care who he's fighting it seems, people just love seeing there guy fight. I was just pointing out the benifit of having the AC's, since your fighter will be fighting as close to healthy as he can, and thats always nice, even if you don;t get to see him as much. Side note, I was watching the Rampage Chuck 1 with Dana commenting, and he sounds alot like I do when I'm trying to tell people who don't know about a fighter, how he normally fights lol. Dana's a huuuge fan, and it's funny because you don't get to see that side of him alot, but it's true he has his favorites like we all do and he loves to watch em. I don't even think Gary Bettman watches hockey

In all honesty I couldn't stand Dana's commentating during that fight. I thought he was completely one sided bias. He sounded so disappointed the whle fight because his little fighter wasn't winning. The two other commentators were treating the fight like it should have been treated. An excellent brawl and a great fight. Dana sounded like I do when I wake up in the morning.

Just my opinion..

Post #192   12/3/07 12:55:21AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Chips:
Keep in mind he had $250,000 riding on that fight, and chuck was getting destroyed.

Post #193   12/3/07 2:33:36AM   

thisbeme

MMA Regular

thisbeme Avatar

Career:150-95
Chips:
I've always hated this question...

I'm a fan of both... but u can't really choose which is better or who has the better fighters.... First off the rules are different, givin a certain type of fighter advantages and disadvantages depending on their style..(example: Rampage.. great fighter in PRIDE but never really dominant... his move to UFC, because of the rule changes he can now use his strength more... which is his ground and pound power....and he's a force there and same goes for the Forrest Griffin Shogun fight...Shogun is used to being able to stomp his opponents on the ground where as these tactics arenot allowed in the UFC making him to use other means.) second, one is a ring the other is a cage... huge difference when training and preparing for a fight... Fighters that fight in the UFC have a bigger advantage because they incorporate the use of the cage.... and vice versa...example: Cro Cop... in his fight with Gonzaga he never trained inside a cage and was never used to fighting in one.. a cage and ropes play huge factors in where as it's not easy to get away when ur caught in a cage gettin pounded on where as in the ropes u can escape....

So it all depends on which fighters are fighting and where they are to fight under which rules....

Post #194   12/3/07 2:21:19PM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:
First and foremost, I didn’t come in here to argue that either organization is better than the other.

I just want to go on record and say that I have no real favorite. I like the ring because it just makes the sport look professional, but I like the cage because there’s no falling between the ropes and no breaks in the action to move the fighters back to the center of the ring. I’ve always liked a lot of PRIDE fighters and a lot of UFC fighters as well. I do enjoy the crowd in Japan more than the crowd in America, but other than that, I really have no preference in which organization I’m watching. I just like watching two highly skilled fighters going to war. It’s all about the fights to me, not the orgs.

Post #195   12/20/07 3:23:46AM   

Page 13 of 18   <<   10     11     12     13     14     15     16   >>