Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

OFFICAL Pride vs UFC thread

Print  
  Page 1 of 18     1     2     3     4   >>
Posted By Message

jocksmall

In Full Mount

Career:213-134
Chips:
i love the ufc and buy most of the events on ppv. it just seems to me that the pride cards are far better matchups with better talent in many cases. can other ufc fans look at it objectively and come to the same conclusion?

Last edited 2/11/07 7:44PM server time by hippysmacker
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   2/11/07 6:17:29PM   

nellyhiphophead

In Full Mount

nellyhiphophead Avatar

Career:917-475
Camp: nelson top team
Chips:
yes i think the same fir the most

Post #2   2/11/07 6:24:07PM   

MMA

Pimpin

MMA Avatar

Career:672-349
Chips:
Sometimes, I do not understand Joe Silva's choices.

Post #3   2/11/07 6:29:46PM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:2,795-1,540
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
Pride has the better fighters overall.

Post #4   2/11/07 6:43:42PM   

Jeffanori-Gomi

Standup Guy

Career:34-26
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
Pride has the majority of talent now but I really think the UFC will be the undisputed dominant force of MMA in a few years if the Pride business model doesnt change.

Post #5   2/11/07 7:07:51PM   

Spud

Learning to Sprawl

Spud Avatar

Career:18-12
Chips:

Posted by MMA

Sometimes, I do not understand Joe Silva's choices.

about sums it up.

Last edited 2/11/07 7:28PM server time by Spud
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   2/11/07 7:27:46PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,924-1,081
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
This is the 4th UFC vs Pride thread( In one form or another) in a month, God help us all. I love MMA ,and will never love any org more than the other.

UFC advantages IMO-- has no freak show matches, makes the champs defend their belts, know's how to produce a show, never cuts away to audience shot's in the middle of a round,allow elbows , no soocer kicks or footstomps which are bad IMO and generally let's their fighter's know who they are fighting in advance.

Pride advantages IMO-Signifigantly more depth at HVY, the best fighter in the world IMO( Fedor), Allows knee's to the head on the ground, more knowledgable and repectful fans as a whole, more proven ( this does not mean better) lightweights at least against eachother

Does this make one beter IMO. No, I love them both and all MMA. I'm going to pin this topic and change the title to pride vs UFC. That way no one will hjave to start anymore of these threads.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #7   2/11/07 7:43:18PM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:
UFC is better...i would rather want all the great MMA fighters around the world fighting in the UFC..than all the worlds best MMA fighters fighting in Pride

Cage > Ring

UFC Commentators > Pride Commentators

Referee's- UFC > Pride

UFC rules are more professional and not too absurd..(head stomps?? i know pride cares more about being entertaining than they do about the safety of their fighters...(fights go on way too long after someone is hurt)

the only thing better in Pride is more respectful fans...(at least the ones in the crowd)..but..thats gonna stop now that they're here in the U.S

Post #8   2/12/07 12:59:05AM   

BabbyHughes

MMA Regular

BabbyHughes Avatar

Career:623-389
Camp: Slackers
Chips:
I love both. There are things about Pride I dont like and things about the UFC I dont like.

Pros

Pride: Many very competitive matches, fighters I know of on every fight card just about, expensive fighter entrances , some very entertaining fighters (Fedor, Wandy, Shogun, the Nogs, Gomi, etc), 1st round is 10 min, strong HW and LHW divisions, and a very respectful audience.

UFC: Great announcers, awesome Gladiator style entrances (crowd surrounding the fighters cheering), the Octagon, energetic crowd, great promoting of matches and fighter information (interviews mostly), some competitive matches, good referees (except Yamasaki), strong WW and LHW division.

Cons

Pride: the female entrance announcer's voice scares me, the announcers need improvement, the ring, the referees seem biased, not enough title bouts, some really one sided match ups (Fedor vs. Zulu), past events weren't live for US television.

UFC: often too many no name fighters fighting instead of well known fighters on every card (there are enough great fighters under UFC contract, to have great matches every UFC), weak HW divison prior to Cro Cop, inapropriate booing from crowd happens often.

And that's about all that comes to mind, at this moment...

Post #9   2/12/07 1:04:02AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,924-1,081
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by BabbyHughes

I love both. There are things about Pride I dont like and things about the UFC I dont like.

Pros

Pride: Many very competitive matches, fighters I know of on every fight card just about, expensive fighter entrances , some very entertaining fighters (Fedor, Wandy, Shogun, the Nogs, Gomi, etc), 1st round is 10 min, strong HW and LHW divisions, and a very respectful audience.

UFC: Great announcers, awesome Gladiator style entrances (crowd surrounding the fighters cheering), the Octagon, energetic crowd, great promoting of matches and fighter information (interviews mostly), some competitive matches, good referees (except Yamasaki), strong WW and LHW division.

Cons

Pride: the female entrance announcer's voice scares me, the announcers need improvement, the ring, the referees seem biased, not enough title bouts, some really one sided match ups (Fedor vs. Zulu), past events weren't live for US television.

UFC: often too many no name fighters fighting instead of well known fighters on every card (there are enough great fighters under UFC contract, to have great matches every UFC), weak HW divison prior to Cro Cop, inapropriate booing from crowd happens often.

And that's about all that comes to mind, at this moment...

Good point's about the fighter bias, and that chick's voice bugs me

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #10   2/12/07 2:15:25AM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
UFC rules are more professional and not too absurd..(head stomps?? i know pride cares more about being entertaining than they do about the safety of their fighters...(fights go on way too long after someone is hurt)
^ ^ ^ That was a quote ^ ^ ^

IMO, the reason that soccer kicks, stomps and knees to a downed opponent are allowed is to stop fights like Koschek / Joslin (sp?) and HH / Obrien... There is much less LnP, and that does lead to more exciting fights.

Prides rules are not absurd they are there to encourage fighters to finish the fight. Do you think Travis Lutter would have laid on his back for the last 15 seconds of Rd1 in the A.SIlva fight if stomps were allowed?

Pride's stable of fighters right now is better that the UFC... HW division is obvious... They have 4 of the top 5 LHW's... MW division is excelent... And it's difficult to compare LW and WW divisions because the UFC's LW is still developing and Pride doesn't have a WW.

I personally like the cage better than the ring, less of those awkward restarts, and just know more about the history of the UFC so I am a little biased in that sense.

I also think Prides yellow card system is a good addition to the game as long as it is not overused (which generally it isn't)

Last edited 2/12/07 9:30AM server time by pv3Hpv3p
Edit note/reason: seperated the quote from my statement

Post #11   2/12/07 9:27:50AM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:
I like both but here are some concerns with developments over the last few months:

UFC - Too big, too fast. If the UFC buys Pride (or it goes under) they basically have a monopoly. Fighters, fans and everyone in between will be at Dana's will. Competition is good for customer and gives fighters more career options.

- Ultimate Kickboxing is not MMA! They seem to encourage and promote the stikers over the grapplers. Look no further than Joe Daddy's post-fight APOLOGY for a round 1 submission. Why hasn't Chuck fought a legit striker in the UFC since Belfort in '02? They want the KO highlight.

Pride - As mentioned by some others, the soccer kicks/stomps got to go. So does the female announcer. I can do without freakshows but wouldn't mind so much if it didn't involve top tier guys. Fedor/Zulu was an insult to everything Fedor has worked for and earned.

- We know they have a stacked HW and LHW (MW for them) divisions. But it appears, so do they! They seemed to have rested on thier laurels (sp?) and haven't developed new talent outside of the LWs. With Dana's pockets getting deeper by the millisecond, it's only a matter of time before the talent pool roles are reversed if PRIDE doesn't fix that.

Post #12   2/12/07 10:43:39AM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
UFC= PRIDE

Bam i said it. they are both good. Both have ups and downs but they cancel out. Both Rule. Im right most of you are wrong (cept Hippysmaka). I just laid down the Matt Lindland (law). OH yeah.
IFL> KOTC/Elite XC/CR/TKO/IFC

Post #13   2/12/07 10:48:56AM   

SICKRICK

Banned

Career:29-13
Chips:
i think ufc is the most dominated... but pride is good to.. marketing has alot to do with it... and ufc has done thier homework

Post #14   2/12/07 11:04:54AM   

jwvincent32

Learning to Sprawl

jwvincent32 Avatar

Career:83-66
Camp: Dealers of Pain
Chips:
I personally like pride better seems to be a real differance in the respect the fighters have I like the soccer kicks and stomps but I also like the old ufc bare knuckle fights thats just my thoughts

Post #15   2/12/07 11:23:04AM   

Page 1 of 18     1     2     3     4   >>