Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

So you're starting MMA Training? Listen up.

Print  
  Page 5 of 6   <<   2     3     4     5     6  
Posted By Message

Brandon

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:
My training is going well. Already recieved my second stripe (white belt, but hey gotta start somewhere). Found out its not TKD. More of a JJ/MT mixture. Sweet!

Post #61   7/2/08 6:39:49PM   

Omega

Go TEAM!!! or I will kill you.

Omega Avatar

Career:482-300
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:

Posted by Brandon

My training is going well. Already recieved my second stripe (white belt, but hey gotta start somewhere). Found out its not TKD. More of a JJ/MT mixture. Sweet!

Ernie Reyes????

Jr. or Sr.?

Post #62   7/5/08 9:57:09PM   

Naturaldisaster

MMA Sensei

Naturaldisaster Avatar

Career:703-452
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
I have my 1st MMA training session tomorrow and BJJ right after that at Derby City Martial Arts. Im really lookin forward to it. Im kinda nervous because I've never taken any martial arts before. but I know they have some really good fighters there to train with so I know it will be a really good learning experience.

Post #63   7/15/08 4:47:52PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Chips:

Posted by Naturaldisaster

I have my 1st MMA training session tomorrow and BJJ right after that at Derby City Martial Arts. Im really lookin forward to it. Im kinda nervous because I've never taken any martial arts before. but I know they have some really good fighters there to train with so I know it will be a really good learning experience.

Just relax and listen.. ask questions.. Don't mess around... Listen... and follow the rules also listen...

Post #64   7/15/08 5:51:00PM   

Naturaldisaster

MMA Sensei

Naturaldisaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by The-Don

Just relax and listen.. ask questions.. Don't mess around... Listen... and follow the rules also listen...

I will definitly listen

Post #65   7/15/08 9:24:04PM   

Naturaldisaster

MMA Sensei

Naturaldisaster Avatar

Chips:
Training was awesome. the No Gi Jui Jitsu was a little hard to get at first because I had trouble figuring out which way to swivle my hips when I was locking in an arm lock. but all together it was a great session.

Post #66   7/16/08 10:10:30PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
They're having you work armlocks in your first lesson? Thats weird. Most trainers work positioning first and then adds subs once you can transition and hold positions.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #67   7/16/08 11:02:01PM   

Naturaldisaster

MMA Sensei

Naturaldisaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

They're having you work armlocks in your first lesson? Thats weird. Most trainers work positioning first and then adds subs once you can transition and hold positions.

they had us pull guard then get an armlock. and a sweep into a kimura, and how to pass guard.
and during the mma class they taught us the baseball choke, how to get out of a standing guillotine, and rnc. and then we rolled with someone and switched partners every 5 minutes. i did good with that until I had to face a 205lb guy. He beat my ass. but It was great and kinda cool to be in the same room as some guys that are fighting at the RFL show saturday, and a guy (john troyer) who fought Nick the Goat Thompson in the main event of BODOG in february

Last edited 7/17/08 3:04AM server time by naturaldisaster
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #68   7/17/08 2:55:11AM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Chips:
Some schools just have new students jump in and cycle the lessons around getting back to basics every few days or once a week... I like and dislike this method... for a true beginer it can be very confusing and frustrating espically if they are stuck with another relitive beginer.. I always found putting the newest people with the most experienced people can help cause the more experienced person can sorta semi privately help[ the new person along and help give them a brief basics until the basics lessons come along.. I have not fully decided how in my school I want to handle this... I think the first 15 minutes of every class will be covering basics... something that translates well to what were doing that day...

Post #69   7/17/08 8:57:11AM   

Naturaldisaster

MMA Sensei

Naturaldisaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by The-Don

Some schools just have new students jump in and cycle the lessons around getting back to basics every few days or once a week... I like and dislike this method... for a true beginer it can be very confusing and frustrating espically if they are stuck with another relitive beginer.. I always found putting the newest people with the most experienced people can help cause the more experienced person can sorta semi privately help[ the new person along and help give them a brief basics until the basics lessons come along.. I have not fully decided how in my school I want to handle this... I think the first 15 minutes of every class will be covering basics... something that translates well to what were doing that day...

I liked how they just threw us in there like that, because I catch on really quick so it wasnt to bad for me. when we were rolling, they didnt expect any of us begginers to know anything so they were suprised when I threw up a gogoplata and almost tapped the guy out with it, but the round ended right then. I really need to work on my omaplata defense because one of the bjj guys got me in it twice and forced me to tap. I have no clue how to get out of it

Post #70   7/17/08 3:44:04PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Chips:

Posted by The-Don

I liked how they just threw us in there like that, because I catch on really quick so it wasnt to bad for me. when we were rolling, they didnt expect any of us begginers to know anything so they were suprised when I threw up a gogoplata and almost tapped the guy out with it, but the round ended right then. I really need to work on my omaplata defense because one of the bjj guys got me in it twice and forced me to tap. I have no clue how to get out of it

Yea but not everyone has some experience or actually paysd attention to what goes on in MMA and such other then the winner... mopst people who have no idea what they are doing could be overwhelmed and may not come back...

Post #71   7/17/08 4:24:49PM   

paddy260

MMA Regular

paddy260 Avatar

Career:347-237
Chips:
how do u find places to fight

Post #72   10/16/08 8:13:18PM   

Omega

Go TEAM!!! or I will kill you.

Omega Avatar

Career:482-300
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:
There's a pinned section in this area of the forum.

Last edited 10/16/08 9:29PM server time by omega
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #73   10/16/08 9:28:22PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Chips:
do we have a section for competitions.. I know we have a schools thread... but is there one for actual competitions? if not it might be a good idea.. espically for the much smaller and more local orgs...

Post #74   10/19/08 12:10:14PM   

Pride-Fighter

MMA Regular

Pride-Fighter Avatar

Career:392-266
Chips:
I am a brown belt in Kenpo Karate with 3 months MMA training behind me. I had to stop MMA due to expenses but I hope to take it up ASAP. I love MA's and training in them.

Post #75   11/25/08 11:28:57PM   

Page 5 of 6   <<   2     3     4     5     6