Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

So you're starting MMA Training? Listen up.

Print  
  Page 4 of 6     1     2     3     4     5     6  
Posted By Message

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:
ok not trying to sound like I am a know it all.. but since when did MMA become Muay Thai, BJJ and wrestling... every school I see out there seems to teach just this... I have multiple styles mixed into my training... raning from tradational JJ, Ninjitsu, Judo, Tang soo do and othersand yes I have trained some muay thai and have nothing bad to say about it... but it seems that everyone is so focused on these 3 discplines it is actual going to hinder the growth of MMA in my opinion as every fighter is just the same when it comes to style then we might as well start traing for the WCL...

Post #46   5/6/08 6:28:29PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Chips:
OK here is something slightly unrelated to previous topics I have posted... I am 30 years old.. been training in various martial arts since I was about 5... I have never actually competed in MMA but in the past have done other types of competition... Is it too late for me to get started?

Post #47   5/6/08 6:35:01PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
With that much experience you should have no trouble getting an Amateur MMA fight. If you're an MMA fan with that much experience, you should basically know what you're lacking in and have a realistic outlook as to your ability and physical fitness. Overall, I'd say go for it, because down the road when it actually IS too late, you might regret not doing it.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #48   5/7/08 2:27:44AM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Chips:
yea I know what I lack.. I am confident in my ground game and submissions... I am looking for a stand up coach.. While I have had alot of traning stand up... I don't really feel comfortable... party cause it has been so long since I have competed or even sparred. But as a guy with a family and all most of the martial arts schools in the area are just too damn expensive... Hey if anyone with good stand up in in the Nashville area hit me up...

Post #49   5/7/08 11:41:48AM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Chips:
I have never really used videos for my training... Do you think that would be something I could benefit from at this point and are there any good videos that could be recomended?

Post #50   5/14/08 7:06:01PM   

Brandon

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
Hey all. Found this forum while looking for info. I've been really interested in MMA for awhile now. I decided to give it the old "college try" so to speak. I found a place in the town I work in. Seemed to be an alright place, so I joined up. I don't really have any experience in Martial Arts. I'm starting out in Tae Kwon Do. Thats what the basic for beginners is. After a few months of the basic stuff, I'll be able to enroll into a Ju Jitsu course.

My question is, will Tae Kwon Do be a respectible discipline to begin with? Also, Iam 26 going on 27. I'm I too old to be getting into this.

I want to at least give the Am circuit a shot after some training.

BTW, I'm Brandon! Thanks for having me.

Post #51   6/19/08 11:55:42AM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Brandon

Hey all. Found this forum while looking for info. I've been really interested in MMA for awhile now. I decided to give it the old "college try" so to speak. I found a place in the town I work in. Seemed to be an alright place, so I joined up. I don't really have any experience in Martial Arts. I'm starting out in Tae Kwon Do. Thats what the basic for beginners is. After a few months of the basic stuff, I'll be able to enroll into a Ju Jitsu course.

My question is, will Tae Kwon Do be a respectible discipline to begin with? Also, Iam 26 going on 27. I'm I too old to be getting into this.

WElcome Brandon... as someone a couple years older.. if I am not too old then your not.. If your wanting to get into MMA.. I'd skip TKD and look for Muay Thai or even Karate or just about any other stand up form... I persoanly cannot recall of any TKD person doing well in MMA... not saying there is not one with a few wins or what not.. just no one big in the sport comes to mind...

Post #52   6/19/08 2:41:48PM   

Brandon

Learning to Sprawl

Chips:
Thanks. I appreciate the response.

I don't plan on utilizing the TKD as a style per'se, but more of a introduction to the MMA area. Just something to kinda develop a baae, more for a fitness builder. Something to get me ready for a more serious approach.

Post #53   6/19/08 3:09:16PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Chips:
well the one thing you may get from TKD is some sharp kicks.. but that might be the most.. Just get yourself into a good school.. if you mention where you live.. tehre are alot of us out there.. we may be able to recomend a school for you...

Post #54   6/19/08 6:08:24PM   

Brandon

Learning to Sprawl

Chips:
I live in Missouri. Currently attending Kicking It Martial Arts in Marshfield . (An Ernie Reyes school)

There is a place in Lebanon and Springfield, kinda out of my way. KMA is just down the street from where I work and on the way home ( I live an hour away )

After a few months I have the option to learn Ju Jitsu, Muay Tai, Grappling, etc. So it's not like I'm just limited to TKD.

Post #55   6/20/08 6:46:22PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Chips:
cool... well good luck let us know how trasining is going...

Post #56   6/21/08 8:00:06PM   

Omega

Go TEAM!!! or I will kill you.

Omega Avatar

Career:482-300
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:

Posted by Brandon

Taekwondo from Earnie Reyes isn't going to do anything for you if you want to get into MMA. I mean he teaches some fun stuff but he's just a freestyle XMA style instructor. Of course his son did pretty well in Kickboxing. I'd get into something more full contact if I were you.

Post #57   6/22/08 2:02:52AM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Chips:
Omega knows his stuff...

Post #58   6/22/08 4:15:08PM   

Brandon

Learning to Sprawl

Chips:
Thanks for the info.

Training has been going well so far. I picked up a bag and set of gloves as well. So slowly working my way up.

Last edited 6/23/08 1:51PM server time by Brandon
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #59   6/23/08 1:47:46PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Chips:
I just started training Muay Thai again this time in an offical sense under Kru Rick Caudle.. Excellent training session... Attending my second session tomorrow.. no fancy stuff.. just outside in the sun and dirt good session I look foward to more training...

Post #60   6/27/08 8:35:52PM   

Page 4 of 6     1     2     3     4     5     6