Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

So you're starting MMA Training? Listen up.

Print  
  Page 3 of 6     1     2     3     4     5     6  
Posted By Message

Omega

Go TEAM!!! or I will kill you.

Omega Avatar

Career:482-300
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:

Posted by fullerene

Posted by The-Don

OK I have another question.. I am relitively new to training fighters.. I have roughly 25 years of various martal arts experinece in several different styles... What do I need to look for ina fighter to see if he really is ready to compete?. Also any advice on just training others would be helpful.

This might sound too simplistic or even condescending, but if you know this already, it might be useful to other people.

The basic progression for fighters is: conditioning/techinique training --> sparring --> amateur fights --> professional fights

And the basic rule would be to move a guy to the next level when he's shown that he has no problem at the current level (i.e. his conditioning and technique are solid he can spar competitively, he is getting the best or holding his own when sparring with the best students at your school, he can go amateur, etc.).

If the sparring to amateur fighting seems like a big jump you could take a couple of other steps to get guys a feel for competition, such as having them enter grappling tournaments or the local golden gloves or maybe have a school tournament where you pair up your own students but have spectators come in and watch and have judges, a timekeeper, etc. to provide an atmosphere closer to what they will see in a real fight.

Smokers, you missed smokers. I highly recommend them.

Post #31   3/26/08 1:26:49PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:
Hmm the progression I was kinda doing and did not even think about it... I have one student who I think is ready.. its hard to say.. this is my first time out training people and well I don't want to get them hurt or something. Some excellent advice there, and thank you. My problem I think seems to be it has been about 10 years since I stepped into any ring to compete so I am not sure if I am preparing my fighters properly.. luckily the guy has a great attitude and soaks up everything I can show him like a sponge. He wants to step into the ring just for the experience he even does not care if he wins or loses he just wants the experience . I am taking this as a sign he is ready.. kid is like 5'5 currently about 210-215... I am thinking with some basic cutting he can easily make 205.. he is also strong as an ox. I weight about 260 and me and him grapple to a stand still.. only thing we have not done much of is sparring.. Our big problem is a lack of funds for proper training gear. that is what I feel like I am doing until I can get the proper gear so I can really push him and see if he is ready.. if he wants to compete so badly should I let him and just see what happens?

Post #32   3/27/08 10:55:16AM   

fullerene

MMA Sensei

fullerene Avatar

Career:1,479-905
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:

kid is like 5'5 currently about 210-215

That's a pretty heavy weight for that height. Everyone is different, but most people would not have those dimensions if they were in fighting shape. If he's not then he should work on that first.

Has he done Muay Thai or western boxing? If not, I would not have him fight MMA without doing striking sparring. One of the big determinants in whether someone is a fighter or not is whether they are willing to get hit in the face and keep fighting (sensibly). I'm not sure how you would know that until it happens and I wouldn't want the answer of "no" to be discovered in front of an audience. You might get some different opinions on that one, though.

Post #33   3/27/08 11:13:37AM   

Omega

Omega Avatar

Chips:

Posted by fullerene

kid is like 5'5 currently about 210-215

That's a pretty heavy weight for that height. Everyone is different, but most people would not have those dimensions if they were in fighting shape. If he's not then he should work on that first.

Has he done Muay Thai or western boxing? If not, I would not have him fight MMA without doing striking sparring. One of the big determinants in whether someone is a fighter or not is whether they are willing to get hit in the face and keep fighting (sensibly). I'm not sure how you would know that until it happens and I wouldn't want the answer of "no" to be discovered in front of an audience. You might get some different opinions on that one, though.

Quoted for truth.

Post #34   3/27/08 6:07:27PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Chips:
I had the hieght wrong.. not that the 3 inches makes much of a difference he is about 5'8, He has done some boxing training in the past and we have been working on hands and elbows. He has a good wrestling background as well which I have added several subbmisisons too. everything I show him he picks up very quickly. My main concern he is the first person I am training who I think is ready to step to the amature ranks but as I have stated.. I am still new to the training thing.. And he wants to give it a shot ...

Post #35   3/30/08 12:22:31PM   

Omega

Omega Avatar

Chips:
Last person that was that height swore up and down he couldn't lose the weight. 6 months later he's at 200lbs. The kid needs to drop the weight if he can.

Post #36   3/30/08 11:13:42PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Omega

Last person that was that height swore up and down he couldn't lose the weight. 6 months later he's at 200lbs. The kid needs to drop the weight if he can.

Oh weight is not going to be a problem I think we got him on a stricter diet.. he is hitting heavy cardio.,... He is determined to make 205 with out having to sweat it out the night before as we have to travel kind of far if we go to the event and have already gotten premission to weight in that morning instead of the night before.

Where can I get infomation on proper handwrapping/tapeing techniques?

Post #37   4/2/08 12:19:35PM   

Omega

Omega Avatar

Chips:

Posted by The-Don

Posted by Omega

Oh weight is not going to be a problem I think we got him on a stricter diet.. he is hitting heavy cardio.,... He is determined to make 205 with out having to sweat it out the night before as we have to travel kind of far if we go to the event and have already gotten premission to weight in that morning instead of the night before.

Where can I get infomation on proper handwrapping/tapeing techniques?

Start here:

http://www.boxinggyms.com/tips/handwraps.htm

Post #38   4/2/08 2:05:48PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Chips:
OK first off just let me say thanks.. YOu guys have been awesome with the information....

The hand wrapping thing was awesome... I see what I was doing wrong...

Now for the next question.. are handwarps good for competition or do oyu have to be taped.. and regardless... how do you do the taping.. I am thinking its fairly similiar... but how do you set the tape and gauze? and what are the best things to use or is it just generic medical grade stuff?

Post #39   4/4/08 11:52:36AM   

Omega

Omega Avatar

Chips:
Tape is better but you shouldn't tape the same way you tape for boxing.

Post #40   4/4/08 2:58:21PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Omega

thats what I figured... does anyone have a link to a site that has good info for MMA style taping.

And on another note.. I have my fighter set for his first match on the 12th, next saturday. I will try to get the fight onto Youtube or other some such so you all can see it.

Post #41   4/5/08 11:36:35AM   

Cdellorso

In Full Mount

Cdellorso Avatar

Career:647-447
Camp: Wild Wind
Chips:
Do you get the guys that come in gung ho and get a fight then lose heart or interest?

As a trainer - thats something to be careful of but Im not sure what you can do if anything to stop it- Its Amuetuer MMA and only a very small few want to go big time- you get alot of "hey I can do that" one timers

Post #42   4/25/08 5:52:00PM   

Omega

Omega Avatar

Chips:

Posted by The-Don

Posted by Omega

thats what I figured... does anyone have a link to a site that has good info for MMA style taping.

And on another note.. I have my fighter set for his first match on the 12th, next saturday. I will try to get the fight onto Youtube or other some such so you all can see it.

The 12th? Where was it I just got done taping 11 guys for an amateur show last weekend in Vegas.

Post #43   4/26/08 3:13:14AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by Cdellorso

Do you get the guys that come in gung ho and get a fight then lose heart or interest?

As a trainer - thats something to be careful of but Im not sure what you can do if anything to stop it- Its Amuetuer MMA and only a very small few want to go big time- you get alot of "hey I can do that" one timers

Welcome to the world of martial arts instruction. I don't teach classes, but I do private instructionals, and I have about a 90% turnover rate, which is about the average for an MMA school I think, or maybe a little higher, as you have the team dynamic with a school.

Theres a lot to the whole psychology, but what you'll find is lots of guys WANT to be a big name fighter, but very few of them want to train for years to get to that point.

Theres also the gender hurdle, which is something you run into with men and women. Women, in general, tend to think they can't possible beat men in combat, and men, in general, all think they have some kind of latent ability to defeat other men in combat.

If you get someone whos all ego or just mentally fragile, they'll tend to leave quickly if they don't immediately become great fighters (obviously no one is automatically a great fighter), as its easier and more palatable for them to avoid the situation and go on thinking they're dangerous/tough/whatever.

If you allow free rolling or sparring in your instruction (any decent teacher will in my opinion), expect to lose more students. This is a big reason the McDojos don't allow sparring at all, or will have a strict hierarchy where upper belts don't spar lower belts, because if someone gets handled easily, they'll want to leave. McDojos are about making money though, and if you're training MMA fighters, you can't have that mindset. If they don't stay after losing in a free roll, they weren't going to amount to much of anything anyways.

So, if you actually get someone who trains for the time needed to compete at an amateur level, they're probably a keeper.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #44   4/28/08 12:55:12AM   

Kruu

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
Personally, as a real old guy with 35 years experience, I recommend Muay Thai as a place to gain skills for the MMA standup game.
For the ground, greco-roman wrestling is great to get your basics. Then some BJJ or submission grappling along the way. Try to be as well-rounded as possible. You have to be in order to face today's evolved, athletic, fighter.

Last edited 5/5/08 2:58PM server time by kruu
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #45   5/5/08 2:57:28PM   

Page 3 of 6     1     2     3     4     5     6