Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

MMA in the Olympics (status please)

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

j420norcal

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
So, last that I read, MMA was considered for the 2004 Olympics in Greece (as Pankration), but was not accepted. What is the current status? Will we be seeing it '08?

Post #1   2/11/07 5:07:21PM   

Savy

MMA Regular

Savy Avatar

Career:61-50
Camp: Snatch As Snatch Can
Chips:
don't hold your breath bro. I don't think we'll ever see MMA or Pankration return to the Olympic Games.
The Olympics these days are all about world peace and understanding through sport. I think MMA is perceived as being waaaaay to violent to be included. And perception is always more important than truth.
Look at the "boxing" you see in the Olympics. "Boxing???"
They would never let MMA, with the rules that now govern it, be an Olympic event. They would ammend the rules like they do w/ boxing, and the result would be a shell of the MMA we all know and love.
However, I wouldn't be surprised by an ADCC-style submission wrestling event being introduced.

Last edited 2/11/07 8:36PM server time by savy
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   2/11/07 7:21:30PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
That would actually be great, but I agree. The way they do boxing is to ensure no one actually gets hurt, considering how often they're fighting. Doing the same with MMA would never work.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #3   2/11/07 7:40:20PM   

Infused

MMA Regular

Infused Avatar

Career:373-253
Chips:

Posted by Savy

don't hold your breath bro. I don't think we'll ever see MMA or Pankration return to the Olympic Games.
The Olympics these days are all about world peace and understanding through sport. I think MMA is perceived as being waaaaay to violent to be included. And perception is always more important than truth.
Look at the "boxing" you see in the Olympics. "Boxing???"
They would never let MMA, with the rules that now govern it, to be an Olympic event. They would ammend the rules like they do w/ boxing, and the result would be a shell of the MMA we all know and love.
However, I wouldn't be surprised by an ADCC-style submission wrestling event being introduced.

I wouldn't mind seeing a ADCC style competition in the olympics, i think it would be awesome.I highly doubt MMA will ever be introduced to the Olympics.

Post #4   2/11/07 7:55:24PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
I agree. I think, no matter how accepted it becomes in general, MMA will never have any hope of modern olympics. Pankration or a RINGS style rules, maybe but I don't see it. I would love submission wrestling, and I think it has the best chance (I also think it fits the olympics nicely, like judo), but think it'll be a few more years. If the big mma orgs talked more about these guys histories, in abu dhabi or vale tudo or grappler's quest or the smaller orgs, more casual fans would know what adcc even means. Then ppl would want it more than just the hardcore fans like us.

Post #5   2/11/07 9:03:28PM   

Savy

MMA Regular

Savy Avatar

Chips:
The combat sports in the olympics right now are boxing, fencing, judo, tae kwon do and wrestling.
The inclusion of a variety of combat events has always been part of the Olympic Games. The ancient Olympics appreciated the different diciplines of combat sport by including boxing, wrestling and pankration as individual events.
In 700 BC the world was a much smaller place. We now live in a "global village," and if the games are to be truly International, perhaps fighting arts from all parts of the globe need to be embraced???
No-gi submission wrestling, brazilian jiu-jitsu, and freestyle sambo all deserve to be Olympic events.

Last edited 2/11/07 9:23PM server time by savy
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   2/11/07 9:06:02PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by JimiMak

I agree. I think, no matter how accepted it becomes in general, MMA will never have any hope of modern olympics. Pankration or a RINGS style rules, maybe but I don't see it. I would love submission wrestling, and I think it has the best chance (I also think it fits the olympics nicely, like judo), but think it'll be a few more years. If the big mma orgs talked more about these guys histories, in abu dhabi or vale tudo or grappler's quest or the smaller orgs, more casual fans would know what adcc even means. Then ppl would want it more than just the hardcore fans like us.

Yeah i get the feeling that Rings Rules might be considered "civil" enough. But MMA isnt as good when you cannot strike to the head on the ground.
I think the first step is to get submission grappling into the olympics. Is Sambo a Olympic Sport? It is recognized offically as one of the four forms of wrestling. May be if that could be worked in then MMA wouldnt be far behind.

Post #7   2/11/07 11:02:46PM   

Savy

MMA Regular

Savy Avatar

Chips:
Currently Sambo or freestyle sambo is not an olympic sport. Only greco-roman and freestyle.

Post #8   2/11/07 11:54:56PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,916-1,077
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Combat sambo should be. It's pretty close to MMA, and would be a start.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #9   2/12/07 6:13:02AM   

Savy

MMA Regular

Savy Avatar

Chips:
I agree Hippy.
Before MMA, there must be Combat Sambo. Before Combat Sambo, there must be freestyle sambo.
Maybe the Olympics are ready for freestyle sambo right now???

Post #10   2/12/07 2:33:14PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Chips:
I believe the olympics is ready for Sambo. the 3 other kinds of wrestling are already olypmic sports. Judo, Greco- roman, and Freestyle. If Sambo becomes a olympic sport then MMA isnt far behind.

Post #11   2/12/07 2:49:59PM   

waylon_o

In Full Mount

waylon_o Avatar

Career:162-90
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:
In the Pankration days of the original Olympics, the fights went on until one fighter couldn't continue, by submission, or until sundown. If the fight happened to make it to sundown, a "Climax" was called. What is a climax you ask? Well...the 2 fighters would draw lots (numbers, straws, whatever the hell they did back then) and the winner would get to position his opponent any way they wished, and they got to deliver 1 strike (any strike) to their opponent, who could not move. Next, it was the opponents turn. This went on until someone couldn't continue...thus, you have a winner.

Post #12   2/12/07 4:23:12PM   

waylon_o

In Full Mount

waylon_o Avatar

Career:162-90
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:
As a result, we will never see Pankration as it originally was intended. But we already knew that.

Post #13   2/12/07 4:24:08PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,916-1,077
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
It's like ancient Ro-Sham-bo!

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #14   2/12/07 4:47:03PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Chips:

Posted by waylon_o

As a result, we will never see Pankration as it originally was intended. But we already knew that.

And we never will. Old school olympic Pankration. Fighters died. Very often. The story goes that you could win by killing your oppoenent or making them submit. Some never submitted. And some were in positions where they could not submit and therefore died. Like if a fighter were choked out noone would stop the match.

Pankration is a good name for MMA if it became a olympic sport.

Post #15   2/12/07 8:00:32PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2