Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

New Fedor interview

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Link

MMAWeekly’s Korea Correspondent, John Evans, recently caught up with Fedor Emelianenko, the man almost universally regarded as the No. 1 mixed martial arts heavyweight in the world.

Last edited 1/8/08 2:23PM server time by dothemmath
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   12/12/07 12:48:30PM   

candynuts

Belt Contender

candynuts Avatar

Career:253-158
Chips:
Great article!
Pretty much what you expect Fedor to say.

Fedor>Anything

Post #2   12/12/07 1:14:40PM   

Focker101

MMA Regular

Focker101 Avatar

Career:1,394-777
Chips:
I still believe that Randy would win via decision
but man how I want to see that fight

Post #3   12/12/07 1:16:47PM   

Trench777

MMA Regular

Trench777 Avatar

Career:171-141
Chips:
He want to fight Randy, Randy wants to fight him, the world wants to see it, the only obstacle is Dana White. That pretty much sums it up. Dana is becoming more & more powerdrunk...

The one thing that Fedor said I found profound: "Dana uses words lightly". Troo dat, Fedor!

T777

Post #4   12/12/07 1:27:36PM   

FantasyFighter

MMA Regular

FantasyFighter Avatar

Career:238-145
Camp: MMA Legends
Chips:
Emelianenko: Dana talks a lot and uses words lightly. Let Randy Couture fight me. Allow this fight that everyone wants to take place. Me, Randy and MMA fans all over the world want it. The only obstacle is Dana.

It saddens me greatly to know that quite possibly the greatest fight in MMA history will never happen due to all this back and forth nonsense. And it is so disappointing because all sides wanted this fight to happen (Randy wants it, Fedor wants it, and whether DW says he wants it or not, believe me, he wants it, and most importantly the FANS want it), yet when they all sat down at the table to make it happen, none of them could come to terms. I see valid arguments for both sides, but in the end, I blame them all for being un-willing to compromise. Its such a shame.

Post #5   12/12/07 1:33:24PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:2,071-1,071
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Wanderley Silva comment about Fedor !!!

Q: That’s an interesting comment about how important the UFC belt is to you. What do you think about Fedor Emelianenko’s choice not to fight in the UFC?

WS: He’s crazy . I don’t know why the guy doesn’t want to fight here. These are the best events. This is the biggest promotion. The guy could be a symbol here. He could have money for the rest of his life. He could do well with the promotion, with sponsors, with commercials, and many other possibilities. Japan is a good market, but the US is different. The American fans love the fighters. Everyday, people come up to me in the street. He needs to come to the UFC.

Fedor can talk , but at the end , he chose the easy ways, now his credibility is close to 0 !!

Last edited 12/12/07 3:19PM server time by tuvok500
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #6   12/12/07 3:17:45PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,503-1,200
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

Q: That’s an interesting comment about how important the UFC belt is to you. What do you think about Fedor Emelianenko’s choice not to fight in the UFC?

WS: He’s crazy . I don’t know why the guy doesn’t want to fight here. These are the best events. This is the biggest promotion. The guy could be a symbol here. He could have money for the rest of his life. He could do well with the promotion, with sponsors, with commercials, and many other possibilities. Japan is a good market, but the US is different. The American fans love the fighters. Everyday, people come up to me in the street. He needs to come to the UFC.

Fedor can talk , but at the end , he chose the easy ways, now his credibility is close to 0 !!

I so totally agree. Fedor is the one that turned down an awesome offer from Dana. How can Fedor say that Dana isn't allowing it. Why would Dana want Randy to go to a two bit org to fight where no one gets to watch it anyway.

I am sorry, but I can no longer believe Fedor when he says he wants to fight the best. I think he wants to get his win record even higher so that he can be a big star in Russia. I say Big Deal. Let him, we can all forget that he is even alaive and put someone else at the top of the HW list.

Post #7   12/12/07 3:52:35PM   

nastshabast

Banned

Career:337-191
Chips:
Fedor's credibility close to zero? You two are wrong. If anyone has zero credibility it's Dana White.

"I don't think Fedor is a top-five heavyweight in the world, and I'm not saying that because I didn't get Fedor. I've always felt that way about Fedor and I always felt Randy Couture would beat Fedor … Fedor is a farce."

Nuff said.

Post #8   12/12/07 4:07:12PM   

Jujiden

MMA Regular

Jujiden Avatar

Career:263-145
Camp: Jujiden MMA
Chips:

Posted by Darnok

Posted by tuvok500

I so totally agree. Fedor is the one that turned down an awesome offer from Dana. How can Fedor say that Dana isn't allowing it. Why would Dana want Randy to go to a two bit org to fight where no one gets to watch it anyway.

I am sorry, but I can no longer believe Fedor when he says he wants to fight the best. I think he wants to get his win record even higher so that he can be a big star in Russia. I say Big Deal. Let him, we can all forget that he is even alaive and put someone else at the top of the HW list.

That's about as narrow-minded as you can get. Please. It's funny how when Randy makes a decision to leave UFC he's considered a free thinker and one to be admired, but when Fedor doesn't want to go with the UFC for many of the same reasons that Randy left he's considered scared and as one who takes the easy way out. Randy and Fedor are both top notch fighters who have half a brain to not get caught up inthe drama that is Dana White. Inconsistency is defined in Dana and while I give him props for growing the sport, he remains inconsistent with many of the things he says. If he tells media and fans that the HBO deal is pretty much sealed and that Fedor is pretty much signed and then doesn't deliver, how much more does he feed his fighters a load of bull. Randy saw it and left. Fedor saw it and didn't join up. Don't be a sucker and think for one second that anyone knows what its like to be in either of those fighters shoes when both are purported to be the best in the world.

Post #9   12/12/07 4:16:16PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Well just so you know, Fedor signed with the org that gave him the most freedom, he can fight against anyone, including UFC fighters, K-1, strikeforce, M-1, eliteXC, anyone, they also pay him alot of money, 2 mil a fight is a nice paycheck. I get that everyone wants to say "Fedor's dodging people" and all that, but he has a family that he's trying to do what he feels is best for them, he's got a country that he's becoming as well known as any hockey player they have produced, and he's pioneering the sport there. I just want to know if any of you were at the negotiating table with Fedor? Do you know what happend? All this judgment placed on him is pertty crazy considering no one but Dana and himself know what happend. Fedor can fight in the UFC, if the UFC says Fedor come fight Randy under our banner(not a second rate org), he can either accept or look like the "scared" fighter some of you feel he is. Fedor and M-1 have both said they'd let Fedor fight randy in the cage.

Post #10   12/12/07 4:17:57PM   

fullerene

MMA Sensei

fullerene Avatar

Career:1,582-968
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
I think the guy who has beaten the most top HW fighters in history and the guy who has helped make a nearly bankrupt company the #1 MMA promotion in the world still have at least a little bit of credibility.

I'm disappointed, too. It seems like the biggest event with the most money to spread around isn't happening. But this isn't the last time this will happen. The UFC isn't going to sign a fighter when the conditions aren't adequate (such as giving up promotional control and signing other fighters) and fighters aren't going to sign deals that they don't think are in their best interest. I'm glad the UFC and Fedor are making $$ at this game. I would prefer that they make it together, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen. Maybe there will be some good side effects--like buidling the business in Russia and/or building up some new HW stars in the UFC.

Post #11   12/12/07 4:17:58PM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
I really like how respectful Fedor always is in his interviews. I wish more fighters were like that.

Post #12   12/12/07 4:19:01PM   

Trench777

MMA Regular

Trench777 Avatar

Career:171-141
Chips:

Posted by roadking95th

I really like how respectful Fedor always is in his interviews. I wish more fighters were like that.

Totally agree.

Also agree with the reply that Fedor has a family to feed & M-1 pays him well. Fighting is a profession. Its to make a living, plain & simple. Credibility & fame & respectibility are secondary to making a paycheck in the short period of time a fighters career lasts. Its along the same lines as football, baseball, hockey players. Its not a matter of loyalty or disloyalty when your fav player goes to another team...its about this being thier chosen profession & they need to make what they can while they still can.

Be honest with yourself...if the competition came to you (whatever field you might be in) and offered you more money, benefits, etc...you would wave goodbye to your boss with one finger and be at work the next day.

*shrugs*

T777

Post #13   12/12/07 4:31:56PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
People keep saying that dana white is the problem, that he's the one keeping this fight from happening.. has everyone forgot about finklestein? The problem is that most of the mma fans dont even know who he is. He's fedors manager and the one who handled all the negotiations, it was he who chose that fedor would not sign with the ufc. It was not fedor's choice, it was not dana's choice. Dana white layed out the same terms that all the ufc fighters fight under, and it was Finklestein who said no. Dana knew how valuable fedor was so made compromises and offered fedor 8mil over 4 fights. The compromises were not enough, or the money wasnt enough, for whatever the reason, finklestein decided that fedor should not sign.

So when you're all pissed off that fedor/randy will never happen, dont blame the guy who made the lucrative offer, or the fighter who "wants to fight the best", blame the guy who decided that his merchandise would be better off else where.

As for dana saying that fedor is bunk, we know its not true, he knows its not true.. but him saying it does serve a purpose. If you go ask the casual fan what they know about fedor, he's an overhyped fighter that they dont care about.. why? because dana says so. I personally think it would make more sense for dana to say that fedor is an accomplished fighter, but decided to sign elsewhere and as a result cant face top competition because all the best guys are in the ufc and let the fans make their own conclusions.

Post #14   12/12/07 4:35:30PM   

Ordep

Go Falcons!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

People keep saying that dana white is the problem, that he's the one keeping this fight from happening.. has everyone forgot about finklestein? The problem is that most of the mma fans dont even know who he is. He's fedors manager and the one who handled all the negotiations, it was he who chose that fedor would not sign with the ufc. It was not fedor's choice, it was not dana's choice. Dana white layed out the same terms that all the ufc fighters fight under, and it was Finklestein who said no. Dana knew how valuable fedor was so made compromises and offered fedor 8mil over 4 fights. The compromises were not enough, or the money wasnt enough, for whatever the reason, finklestein decided that fedor should not sign.

So when you're all pissed off that fedor/randy will never happen, dont blame the guy who made the lucrative offer, or the fighter who "wants to fight the best", blame the guy who decided that his merchandise would be better off else where.

As for dana saying that fedor is bunk, we know its not true, he knows its not true.. but him saying it does serve a purpose. If you go ask the casual fan what they know about fedor, he's an overhyped fighter that they dont care about.. why? because dana says so. I personally think it would make more sense for dana to say that fedor is an accomplished fighter, but decided to sign elsewhere and as a result cant face top competition because all the best guys are in the ufc and let the fans make their own conclusions.

do you know that contracts have a part that tells you the $$$$ and another part that says CONTRACT TERMS ( or agreement or whatever)....

If they offered the same amount of money, fine. But Fedor liked the Terms that M-1 offered him better than the UFC ones. There's NO fighter in the UFC just because it is the UFC and blah blah.... it's their job.

Last edited 12/12/07 4:45PM server time by Ordep
Edit note/reason: spelling
2 total post edits

Post #15   12/12/07 4:44:11PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2