Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

WEC 31 and HDNet: Reckless Abandon (Preview)

Print  
Posted By Message

ohiostate1016

MMA Sensei

ohiostate1016 Avatar

Career:826-528
Camp: Sporting News Assassins
Chips:
After an exciting finale to the sixth season of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) this past weekend, I think it’s safe to say that the state of mixed martial arts is definitely good. Even with some disappointing and sad news in the sport, such as UFC lightweight champion Sean Sherk being stripped of his title for testing positive for steroids and MMA’s first death in 35-year-old Sammy Vazquez, the sport is still growing rapidly. And that’s why we are having more and more great events, even outside of the UFC. Cases in point are the two events on the docket this week. First up on Wednesday is the best card in World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC) history with WEC 31. There are three title fights on this card, plus the debut of former UFC lightweight champion Jens Pulver in both the WEC and the 145-pound featherweight division. And then on Saturday, Mark Cuban’s HDNet organization holds their second big event. They have some notable big names on this card, and it seems as though they are growing by the day. Signings of guys like Jason “Mayhem” Miller, Frank Trigg, and Yves Edwards have been huge for this budding company. Here is the preview of the both events, with my picks for each fight.

McKinney on MMA column

Last edited 1/8/08 2:26PM server time by dothemmath
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   12/11/07 2:00:40PM   

ohiostate1016

MMA Sensei

ohiostate1016 Avatar

Chips:
Hope you guys like this column that I wrote for CPC Movies. Let me know what you think.

Post #2   12/11/07 2:03:32PM   

mictlantechutli

MMA Regular

mictlantechutli Avatar

Career:660-408
Chips:
You wrote this? It's well written and congrats on the publication.. but Trigg via triangle? That's an interesting call.

Post #3   12/11/07 2:12:00PM   

ohiostate1016

MMA Sensei

ohiostate1016 Avatar

Chips:
Hell yeah I wrote that. You think it's good? I have a lot of stuff around that I write. PM if you are interested in some links. And I write that column every month. My next two columns will be a "Year in Review" (up sometime within two weeks) and a preview of UFC 79. Stay tuned.

Haha...the Trigg by triangle thing was sort of a joke. I have been pretty hot picking fights recently (14-4 in the last two UFC events), but I can't pick the round or the method. Anyway, I think that Trigg will submit Dewees, and why not a triangle? Everybody loves a good triangle.

Post #4   12/11/07 2:20:50PM   

ohiostate1016

MMA Sensei

ohiostate1016 Avatar

Chips:
Haha...I really like the idea of Trigg winning via triangle, but I realized that I contradicted myself. I think that Trigg is going to try to keep the fight standing with Dewees. So therefore, he probably won't go for subs on the ground (especially a triangle). Anyway, I think that Trigg is going to try and strike with Dewees. Therefore, my new pick:

Trigg wins via KO (punch) in the second round.

Post #5   12/12/07 1:53:52AM   

LR

In Full Mount

LR Avatar

Career:638-326
Chips:
Lofty predictions, especially on the WEC undercard. You should do some more research, although I know it's hard to find some. I write for a nationally syndicated publication on MMA, and I find it advantageous for me since I'm at events and see some of these guys.

Post #6   12/12/07 1:35:17PM   

ohiostate1016

MMA Sensei

ohiostate1016 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by LR

Lofty predictions, especially on the WEC undercard. You should do some more research, although I know it's hard to find some. I write for a nationally syndicated publication on MMA, and I find it advantageous for me since I'm at events and see some of these guys.

I feel just fine about my predictions, thank you very much.

Post #7   12/12/07 4:39:51PM   

ohiostate1016

MMA Sensei

ohiostate1016 Avatar

Chips:
And just because you don't agree with me, that doesn't mean that I am wrong.

Here are the fights that we disagree on:

Charlie Valencia vs. Ian McCall
Your pick: Valencia
My pick: McCall

My rationale: Valencia is very overrated, IMO. He has 3 losses in his last four fights, and even though two of those losses are to Faber and Swanson, he would have won them if he was a top guy. McCall is 6-0 (with 4 KOs and 1 sub), and I think he'll KO Valencia.

Brian Baker vs. Eric Schambiri
Your pick: Schambiri
My pick: Baker

My rationale: This fight looks like a toss up to some, but I did some research and I don't think it is. Both Schambari and Baker are undefeated (7-0 and 5-0, respectively), but 3 of Schambari's wins have come via decision. That means he can't finish fights. None of Baker's fights have gone the distance, and he has 3 (T)KOs and 2 subs. This means that he is at least a little well-rounded. Plus, he has a win over Jesse Forbes.

Brian Bowles vs. Marcus Galvao
Your pick: Galvao
My pick: Bowles

My rationale: Galvao has more experience (7 fights to 3), but Bowles is 3-0. And none of his fights have gone the distance. All of Galvao's fights have went to a decision. I haven't seen video of him or anything, but that tells me that he may subscribe to the lay n pray method. Bowles goes in there looking to finish a fight. Those guys win most of the time.

Jens Pulver vs. Cub Swanson
Your pick: Pulver
My pick: Swanson

My rationale: Pulver is over the hill. He is trying to put life back into his career by moving down a weight class. Well, I have news for him. The featherweights "ain't no joke." Plus, Pulver has lost 5 of his last 8 fights. He has a puncher's chance, but Swanson is on an 11-fight win streak, and I don't think he's going down in this one.

Maybe you are the one that needs to do some research.

Post #8   12/12/07 5:03:26PM