Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Should Matt Arroyo have fought at the TUF finale?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

KeNn

Standup Guy

KeNn Avatar

Career:93-76
Chips:
Well we know all know the story, he apparently "hurt his rib" before his semi-final fight vs Mac Danzig. There was a bit of controversy the next day when Dana White, got a call from the Doctor saying Matt Arroyo was okay to fight, So Dana took him aside and told him the doctor said he was okay to fight, but he still wouldn't fight. I had a feeling he was just putting on a good act so he didn't have to fight Mac.

Mac being the most dominant fighter in TUF, might have intimidated Arroyo. Maybe Arroyo didn't want to lose, and just found a easy way out. Personally I don't think Dana White should have brought him back for the finale, because he didn't show no heart during TUF. I think Jon Koloski showed the most heart out of all them, but lost 3 fights in a row.

Post #1   12/9/07 12:22:56PM   

gspgnp

MMA Regular

gspgnp Avatar

Career:212-117
Chips:
Arroyo was clearly one of the most skilled fighters on the show. His subs are extremely smooth and slick. So the short answer to your question.........YES! he definitely belongs in the UFC with his sub skills. Have you ever had a cracked rib? It sure as hell is not any fun at all! It takes a lot out of you....flexibility, air(cardio), punching power.............

Post #2   12/9/07 12:36:41PM   

Vietnamese_Guy

Standup Guy

Vietnamese_Guy Avatar

Career:198-109
Camp: Shogun Academy
Chips:
except the test came back and basically proved that matt was a whiner and didn't have a cracked rib

Post #3   12/9/07 12:40:03PM   

wolfman

On the Banned Team...

wolfman Avatar

Career:550-229
Chips:

Posted by gspgnp

Arroyo was clearly one of the most skilled fighters on the show. His subs are extremely smooth and slick. So the short answer to your question.........YES! he definitely belongs in the UFC with his sub skills. Have you ever had a cracked rib? It sure as hell is not any fun at all! It takes a lot out of you....flexibility, air(cardio), punching power.............

I agree with you 100%, however there is a rumor that Dana White talked to the doctors that examined Matt Arroyo and they claimed that he did not have a cracked or bruised rib. I hope this is not true because Arroyo has a bright future ahead of him. If it is true that he did not have a cracked rib and chose not to fight Danzig, I will lose a lot of respect for him.

Post #4   12/9/07 12:42:52PM   

wolfman

On the Banned Team...

wolfman Avatar

Career:550-229
Chips:

Posted by Vietnamese_Guy

except the test came back and basically proved that matt was a whiner and didn't have a cracked rib

So, it is official? Do you have a source to back it up?

Post #5   12/9/07 12:44:40PM   

MadDog82

Learning to Sprawl

MadDog82 Avatar

Career:53-26
Chips:
I'm glad he fought, although I think he should have tried in semifinals to go through with it.

Post #6   12/9/07 2:39:58PM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Career:523-269
Chips:
Good thing you are all professional fighters, and have had to make tough decisions regarding your health, career, and future in the sport you chose...

Oh, wait... You're not all professional fighters?

Then stop judging the guys who are.

For the thread starter to claim that he felt he shouldnt get a spot... Who is he, or the rest of us, myself included, to judge a decision like that? We are fans. Period.

Too many think watching fights is the same as training for them.

I watch ER, but I sure as hell am not going to open a guy up and remove his spleen.

For those of you defending his choice either way, this isnt for you. Nice job giving a fighter the respect that they all deserve for doing what they do. To the rest of you... save judgement for something that you actually know about.

Last edited 12/9/07 3:17PM server time by rcg916
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   12/9/07 3:16:53PM   

xchickox

In Full Mount

xchickox Avatar

Career:594-360
Chips:
i think he proved last night that he should have fought on the finale and he should be in the ufc, he looked really good last night

Post #8   12/9/07 3:30:31PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I think Arroyo would have put up a better fight than Johnny Boy.

Post #9   12/9/07 3:42:35PM   

KeNn

Standup Guy

KeNn Avatar

Career:93-76
Chips:
lol yeah he wasn't hurt, it came back negative.

and yeah I train 5-6days a week, and I had a perforated ear drum, and still trained. A bruised rib isn't too bad, a cracked rib yeah thats a good reason, but he didn't have one.

Us as fans/Fighters (some of us) need to talk, I want tough fighters representing our sport, not fighters who whine when they get hit.

Maybe he does have a huge potentional, cause that was a very nice armbar he pulled on Jon. Though he's going to have to toughen up alot.

Post #10   12/9/07 3:45:18PM   

MMAFightClothes

MMA Regular

MMAFightClothes Avatar

Career:476-296
Camp: Blood Sport
Chips:
He didn't have a cracked rib. On the original airing of TUF they didn't show all the footage, but last night before the show they had the doctor saying it wasn't cracked at all and he could fight if he wanted to. They edited the hell out of the interview with Dana. He said to Matt the doctor said it's not cracked and you can fight if you want, but Matt turned it down. I still like the kid though.

Post #11   12/9/07 5:27:32PM   

rameydl8

Standup Guy

rameydl8 Avatar

Career:354-206
Camp: Minford manglas
Chips:
no...just because he has skill doesnt mean he gets any better treatment than anybody else that has walked off the show...he should not have got to fight

Post #12   12/10/07 3:05:56AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
He didn't walk off the show, he was injured and didn't feel fit to continue, so he made the decision to let someone else take his spot and heal up. We don't know the extent of the injury, and apparently the doctor didn't think much of it, but like someone said, we're not in his body, and if you think about it, he had absolutely nothing to lose by taking the fight if he wasn't hurt. Either he'd beat Mac, get $5,000, and go on to fight Speer, or he'd lose to Mac and be exactly where he was on Saturday night, which is fighting on a TUF 6 Finale main card.
I can't see a fighter passing that up just to avoid an unofficial loss on his record.

I'd also like to point out that a lot of people flipped out back when Heath Herring took his fight against Jake O'Brian, fought with a blown out knee, and lost, saying he shouldn't have fought injured and let someone else have the opportunity. You can't have it both ways.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #13   12/10/07 4:08:33AM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:
You guys aren't Matt Arroyo. Havn't you ever been to the doctor because of pain somewhere and he couldn't explain exactly what it was? I think we need to take the man on his word and back off a bit. We don't know the pain he felt and we don't know how much it disrupted his breathing.

I've trained with fractured ribs without knowing they were cracked but if the dude says he doesn't feel fit to fight, he probably doesn't.

Post #14   12/10/07 6:43:25AM   

jomatty

In Full Mount

jomatty Avatar

Career:137-79
Camp: bet the rent
Chips:
rib injuries are tricky and anyone who has ever had one knows that they can make it impossible to do anything 100%. one moment you can feel ok and the next, at a different angle you cant breath and feel like someone stabbed you... maybe he did puss out but noone on here knows for sure. it is one thing to be tough and a warrior and another entirely to go into a cage to fight when you know you dont have a chance to win and take a chance on really getting hurt badly. only a fighter can know which is which

Post #15   12/10/07 9:23:09AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2