Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Douglas Dedge: Revisiting The First MMA Fatality

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Although Sammy Vazquez was the first MMA fatality in a regulated fight, Douglas Dedge was actually the first known MMA-related fatality although his fight was unregulated. After Vazquez' recent death, Sherdog revisited the Dedge story through stories and interviews from 2003 & 2004.

Article

Last edited 1/8/08 2:31PM server time by dothemmath
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   12/7/07 12:23:04PM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:
This is the most bizarre thing i have ever read

"Douglas Dedge also learned about the World Super Challenge on the Internet. He was a 31-year-old karate practitioner from Chipley, Fla., who had a wife and five children.

He had fought in one recorded amateur MMA match -- a bizarre loss via armbar to Sean Brockmole on Sept. 6, 1997. Midway through the fight, Dedge grabbed his opponent's hair and pinned his head to the mat. Brockmole's cornerman, HooknShoot promoter Jeff Osborne (Pictures), jumped up on the ring apron and screamed.

"I had no idea what he was yelling about," Brockmole said, "but apparently [Dedge] took his wristband or headband off and was wrapping it around my neck."

"In one particular incident, Atwell was in Dedge's guard and looked down to see a vacancy in his eyes. Dedge's skin was suddenly cold, clammy.

"I can't see," Dedge said. "I've lost my vision."

They stopped training. Dedge waited on the mat until his sight returned, then he left."

"Less than two minutes into the match, Dedge used his wristband to try to choke Zolotarev, but the referee prohibited the tactic."

W T F!!!

Post #2   12/7/07 4:48:44PM   

Pitbull09

MMA Sensei

Pitbull09 Avatar

Career:288-147
Chips:

Posted by silverbullet

This is the most bizarre thing i have ever read

"Douglas Dedge also learned about the World Super Challenge on the Internet. He was a 31-year-old karate practitioner from Chipley, Fla., who had a wife and five children.

He had fought in one recorded amateur MMA match -- a bizarre loss via armbar to Sean Brockmole on Sept. 6, 1997. Midway through the fight, Dedge grabbed his opponent's hair and pinned his head to the mat. Brockmole's cornerman, HooknShoot promoter Jeff Osborne (Pictures), jumped up on the ring apron and screamed.

"I had no idea what he was yelling about," Brockmole said, "but apparently [Dedge] took his wristband or headband off and was wrapping it around my neck."

"In one particular incident, Atwell was in Dedge's guard and looked down to see a vacancy in his eyes. Dedge's skin was suddenly cold, clammy.

"I can't see," Dedge said. "I've lost my vision."

Confusing, did he lose his vision during training or the fight? Weird, not surprising that it wasn't regulated with the headbands and wristbands

They stopped training. Dedge waited on the mat until his sight returned, then he left."

"Less than two minutes into the match, Dedge used his wristband to try to choke Zolotarev, but the referee prohibited the tactic."

W T F!!!

Post #3   1/9/08 6:01:04PM   

Pitbull09

MMA Sensei

Pitbull09 Avatar

Career:288-147
Chips:
^^^ Ignore that quote, I wrote my reply in the quote lol

Here is what I said
Confusing, did he lose his vision during training or the fight? Weird, not surprising that it wasn't regulated with the headbands and wristbands

Post #4   1/9/08 6:06:53PM