Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Huerta-Guida: Beauty and the Best

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,891-1,581
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Roger Huerta hasn’t tasted defeat in his last 16 fights, and will always have the claim to fame of being the first mixed martial arts fighter on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

But there are two types of stars in MMA. There are those who become stars by winning high-profile matches. And there are those who become stars because of marketability. Like Kimbo Slice, Brock Lesnar, Bob Sapp and Gina Carano, a lot of critics will say Huerta fits into the latter category.

Link

Last edited 1/8/08 2:31PM server time by dothemmath
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   12/7/07 12:13:30PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
I think it's funny that a 2-0 Kimbo Slice, and Brock Lesnar are already type casted as publicity stunts. Give them time to prove themselves before passing judgment.

Post #2   12/7/07 1:53:54PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
I wouldnt categorize them as publicity stunts, but they havent earned their popularity through big wins. As much as i do enjoy huerta.. his fight with leonard garcia is easily in my top5 from this year and is a great reason why the ufc needs to expand into latin america, anyways.. huerta is gonna struggle to win this fight.. guida is too good, too strong at 155. Huerta is good, but this will be his first real fight.

Post #3   12/7/07 2:37:24PM   

bullettdodger

BANNED

bullettdodger Avatar

Career:332-207
Chips:
true, but did any of you see kimbo's debut in elite xc... (i think that was what it was right?) i think some foul play is afoot there, cause he barely even hit his opponent and the guy was on down on one knee tapping, im not trying to say taping out is the pussy way out, but i don't think that ONE punch that didn't knock him out, hurt him so much that he had to tap, it didn't even look like that great a punch, more of a glancing blow from my perspective. Im not trying to say the Kimbo ain't tough, but his debut in Elite XC might as well not have happend at all because it showed us nothing of what he could do... put someone in the cage with him who isn't scared shitless of him and maybe we'll see some action or proof that this guy is a force to be reckoned with in MMA.

Post #4   12/7/07 3:19:55PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
a lot of people thought that maybe bo cantrell threw the fight, or just wanted the fat payday and didnt wanna take damage. Could've been that his wife said dont take the fight and he compromised with a 20 second tap out haha. What I suspect is that he wanted the payday and decided to give it a try, and when kimbo stalked him down and nailed him with that body shot and then started mauling him, Bo didnt want anything to do with that fight. Had he not tapped when he did, he probably would've been KOed

Post #5   12/7/07 4:34:21PM   

disorderlyvision

Respect the Battle Axe

disorderlyvision Avatar

Career:1,622-1,122
Chips:

Posted by bullettdodger

true, but did any of you see kimbo's debut in elite xc... (i think that was what it was right?) i think some foul play is afoot there, cause he barely even hit his opponent and the guy was on down on one knee tapping, im not trying to say taping out is the pussy way out, but i don't think that ONE punch that didn't knock him out, hurt him so much that he had to tap, it didn't even look like that great a punch, more of a glancing blow from my perspective. Im not trying to say the Kimbo ain't tough, but his debut in Elite XC might as well not have happend at all because it showed us nothing of what he could do... put someone in the cage with him who isn't scared shitless of him and maybe we'll see some action or proof that this guy is a force to be reckoned with in MMA.

Post #6   12/7/07 9:04:33PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
He elbowed Bo Cantrell to the side of the head. But yeah, I'm not trying to say that they're deserving of a title shot, but I still want them to have their chance to solidify some credibility before implying that they're jokes.

And I wouldn't put Huerta in the class of Lesnar, Slice, and Carano.

Post #7   12/7/07 9:23:07PM