Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

ELITE XC DISCUSSION HERE

Print  
  Page 5 of 7   <<   2     3     4     5     6     7  
Posted By Message

Snacks

MMA Regular

Snacks Avatar

Career:25-13
Chips:

Posted by Savy

Posted by aceprone

Not to change the subject a little bit, but my thought is still connected. I know commisioned rules in the US state that you can't knee or kick a downed opponent in the head. But an interesting twist to this shamrock incident what if those knees connected to the side of the head and not behind the head, would those strikes been legal? The reason why I'm saying this is because Shamrock was the downed opponent, not Renzo. Now I haven't read anywhere if a guy on the bottom (the "downed" opponent) can legally knee to the head. Anythoughts of info on this?

Renzo was downed as well. A fighter becomes downed when any part of his body besides his two feet come in contact w/ the mat.
Because Renzo was a "downed fighter," Frank's knees to Renzos head were all 100% illegal techniques under the rules.
On top of that, some of those knees struck base of the skull/back of the neck/spine region. That is ALWAYS a big no no! I don't care what continent you fight on, no promotion allows strikes to the spine.
Frank got exactly what he deserved.
Thank God Renzo is OK.
I would understand if Renzo refuses to fight Frank again. There are many game fighters around who will play by the rules.

Shooto allows strikes to the back of the head.

Post #61   2/11/07 11:04:48PM   

Savy

MMA Regular

Savy Avatar

Career:61-50
Camp: Snatch As Snatch Can
Chips:
Do they allow you to strike the cervical vertebrae on the back of a guys neck??

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #62   2/11/07 11:33:25PM   

mrsumo

Standup Guy

mrsumo Avatar

Career:270-233
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:
Okay, so I got to see the fight this morning and I can certainly see what all the hubub is about. Now, IMO, the knees were blatant and clearly illegal techniques. And yes it's true that in japan you can knee to the head on the ground, but not knowing the rules can't really count here because Frank hasn't fought in Japan in almost 10 years. In this instance a no contest is not appropriate. If the strikes were accidental then I would favor a no contest. Or as we talked about earlier, going to the cards if it is the first half of the scheduled bout. Even if Shamrock didn't intend to break the rules, or he knew it was illegal or not, he did it even after warning. It's the old adage about ignorance of the law. I disagree with that rule. But it is the rule.
This incident does not however affect in any way how I feel about Frank as a fighter. He is still the man. Great fighters tend to be a bit cockier. This doesn't mean he is a lesser fighter. I do also think that Gracie was less hurt than he let on. He saw the chance for an easy W and took it. I hope he feels that a speedy rematch is in order. How much pride can you take from this sort of win. This bout was promoted as the fight between the two great houses. If Gracie would have continued it would have been a point deduction and they would have finished. A "W" is a "W", but a DQ is hollow.
Both Frank and Renzo are warriors, deserving of every praise they have ever recieved. I am unsatisfied and hope they settle this thing once and for all.

Post #63   2/11/07 11:42:46PM   

mrsumo

Standup Guy

mrsumo Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Savy

Yes, they do.

Post #64   2/11/07 11:43:46PM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:

Posted by mrsumo

Posted by Savy

Yes, they do.

strikes to the spine are NOT allowed!

Post #65   2/11/07 11:47:47PM   

mrsumo

Standup Guy

mrsumo Avatar

Chips:
Prove it was to the spine and not his back. Pressure point strikes are not allowed. Nothing more specific than that.

Post #66   2/11/07 11:49:47PM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Chips:

Posted by mrsumo

Prove it was to the spine and not his back. Pressure point strikes are not allowed. Nothing more specific than that.

what?

Last edited 2/12/07 12:10AM server time by Trapt1nw0nder
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #67   2/12/07 12:09:54AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by mrsumo

Okay, so I got to see the fight this morning and I can certainly see what all the hubub is about. Now, IMO, the knees were blatant and clearly illegal techniques. And yes it's true that in japan you can knee to the head on the ground, but not knowing the rules can't really count here because Frank hasn't fought in Japan in almost 10 years. In this instance a no contest is not appropriate. If the strikes were accidental then I would favor a no contest. Or as we talked about earlier, going to the cards if it is the first half of the scheduled bout. Even if Shamrock didn't intend to break the rules, or he knew it was illegal or not, he did it even after warning. It's the old adage about ignorance of the law. I disagree with that rule. But it is the rule.
This incident does not however affect in any way how I feel about Frank as a fighter. He is still the man. Great fighters tend to be a bit cockier. This doesn't mean he is a lesser fighter. I do also think that Gracie was less hurt than he let on. He saw the chance for an easy W and took it. I hope he feels that a speedy rematch is in order. How much pride can you take from this sort of win. This bout was promoted as the fight between the two great houses. If Gracie would have continued it would have been a point deduction and they would have finished. A "W" is a "W", but a DQ is hollow.
Both Frank and Renzo are warriors, deserving of every praise they have ever recieved. I am unsatisfied and hope they settle this thing once and for all.

Thanks for getting back to us on this.

The entire thing is too fishy to sort out at this point with the ridiculously short hospital stay, the post-fight interviews and whatnot.

I wish I had this on video to watch it again, but was I imaging it when Herb Dean raised Shamrocks hand to declare him the winner?

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #68   2/12/07 12:28:27AM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by mrsumo

Thanks for getting back to us on this.

The entire thing is too fishy to sort out at this point with the ridiculously short hospital stay, the post-fight interviews and whatnot.

I wish I had this on video to watch it again, but was I imaging it when Herb Dean raised Shamrocks hand to declare him the winner?

he was raising his had to notify the judges he was deducting a point...

Post #69   2/12/07 12:41:02AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
I've never seen that before. Generally they bring the fighter to his corner, so the fighter and his corner are notified that hes receieved a foul, then the ref will walk to the judges side of the cage/ring and inform the judges to make note of the foul.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #70   2/12/07 12:46:34AM   

mrsumo

Standup Guy

mrsumo Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by mrsumo

what?

This line of discussion was about the rules in shooto. In shooto and in Pride hits to the back of the neck and on the back happen often. There may or may not be a specific rule on striking the sping, but there isn't any differentation between the spine and the back. Witth the Shamrock Gracie fight, there is a very specific rule about this, and it was indeed violated.

Post #71   2/12/07 12:52:45AM   

mrsumo

Standup Guy

mrsumo Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

I've never seen that before. Generally they bring the fighter to his corner, so the fighter and his corner are notified that hes receieved a foul, then the ref will walk to the judges side of the cage/ring and inform the judges to make note of the foul.

This is where a yellowcard might be handy. Or like in wrestling, colored wristbands to identify which fighter is being referred to.

Post #72   2/12/07 12:54:24AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:2,025-1,145
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by aceprone

by the way here are commisioned rules on illegal strikes. Herb dean made the right call, argue or not, here are the rules.

Disqualification: a "warning" will be given when a fighter commits a foul or illegal action or does not follow the referee's instruction. Three warnings will result in a disqualification. Moreover, if a fighter is injured and unable to continue due to a deliberate illegal technique from his opponent, the opponent will be disqualified.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_martial_arts#Common_rules

Well, that;s clear, obviously the DQ is warranted. As far as the part where Herb was deducting a point. Frank tried to raise his own off hand to make himself look victorious IMO. I agree there needs to be a quick rematch, but I really was dissapointed in Frank ( especially his post fight comments) and until he fight's and beats someone in the top 10 ( heck even top 20, have him fight Villasenor) I wish he would just be quiet. This isn't 1999 and he is no longer top dog IMO.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #73   2/12/07 1:36:06AM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:
I respect Josh Gross as one of the best MMA reporters out there. Here's his take on the fight: (and the rest of the card)

Gross Article

It's a good read from someone who was there and knows his stuff. Excerps:

"Instead of becoming a star in his coming out party on premium cable, Shamrock turned into an excuse-making blowhard after being disqualified Saturday for an illegal knee to the head while the middleweights were on the floor. "

"Beyond ridiculous was Shamrock’s assertion that he was unfamiliar with rules outlawing knees or kicks to the head of a downed fighter."

Last edited 2/12/07 2:41AM server time by manfred

Post #74   2/12/07 2:40:41AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:2,025-1,145
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Excellent point. Gross is not the type to say something so blatant like that without reason IMO. I would like to add any fight card where he women have the best fight does not bode well for the future.

Last edited 2/12/07 4:30AM server time by hippysmacker
2 total post edits

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #75   2/12/07 4:11:03AM   

Page 5 of 7   <<   2     3     4     5     6     7