Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

ELITE XC DISCUSSION HERE

Print  
  Page 4 of 7     1     2     3     4     5     6     7  
Posted By Message

mrsumo

Standup Guy

mrsumo Avatar

Career:270-233
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:
You got it.

Post #46   2/11/07 6:06:29AM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:
Since I couldn't find the rules on Elite XC's website, I found this concerning Unified Rules of MMA which most states adhere to:

9. Striking to the spine or the back of the head. No direct striking attacks are allowed to the spine or the back of the head. A direct strike is an aimed and executed attack to the area. The back of the head is considered the direct center of thehead with 1’ inch of tolerance to either side.

Combine that with Frank's statement makes it a DQ, NOT A NC!:
"I know I was hitting him in the back of the head a little bit. I thought he was going to move his head so I wouldn't hit him there anymore"

Source

Post #47   2/11/07 6:24:30AM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by Snacks

How should it have been a no-contest? Shamrock had already been warned, then threw the same illegal stike, twice in a row and to the back of the head. If a fighter is stopped or cannont continue because of an injury resulting from an illegal strike then it is a DQ, especially in this case where it was deemed the strike was intentional.

Shamrock had been warned when he was throwing the Igor Vochancyn style knuckle punches around Renzos head, which at least connected to the back of the head. The knees were not illegal. The rules are no knees to the head of a downed opponent, and no strikes to the back of the head. He didn't hit the head, so he didn't break the rules.

Herb also raised his hand right after Renzo fell over, so him suddenly deciding he was intentionally commiting a foul doesn't hold water with me.

a strike to the back of the neck is the same shit as to the back of the head.....saying otherwise is stupid

you act like if shamrocks knee is the size of a elbow that precisely hit Renzo's neck..

the circumference of Shamrocks knee is much larger than Renzo's neck area where he got hit..so its impossible that he only hit the neck precisely..he got his whole neck and lower head

anyways...f%ck Shamrock...cant believe you're backing his cheating disrespecting ass!

besides...Renzo was winning and Shame-rock was being taken down at will

Post #48   2/11/07 6:31:08AM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Really, I think No Contests should be used much more often, as I hate it when someone gets a win over a bullshit decision. Different circumstance, but Vitor vs. Couture 2 was similar to this fight in that it was ended by a questionably legal strike, resulted in an injury, but Vitor got the win.

No Contest would not be a fair decision,when Renzo was clearly winning

imagine if tito kicked chuck in the balls at the middle of the 3rd round and chuck was not able to continue(for whatever reason)before he got knocked out and the fight would be scored "No Contest"

all fighters should kick people in the nuts if they're losing a fight so they dont get a loss huh?

very smart...

Post #49   2/11/07 6:37:09AM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:
Renzo post-fight

Frank post-fight

Last edited 2/11/07 7:44AM server time by manfred
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #50   2/11/07 7:43:27AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,993-1,122
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Svartom you are a good guy and all, but I completely disagree with you on this. He cranked his neck, let it whip into his upthrusting knee IMO. I am shocked they blamed Herb Dean, this was not his fault, Frank broke the rules. Also, Frank completely saddened me with his childish refusal to admit his error, and claiming Renzo knew he was about to get KOed and Didn't want to fight anymore. Whether anyone likes his LnP style or not, Renzo was completely in control . Did Frank do it on purpose? Was Renzo as he hurt as made out? Only God and them know for sure it looked to me like he did it on purpose. This is a guy who got his arm snapped by Sakuraba and barely blinked! Love em or hate him, I can't ever see him taking a dive. Add the fact that he was winning, and I just think Shamrock is full of it. As for head injuries, they are tough to call. I've had 3 concussions I know of, and maybe more. I once went head to head like a dummy with a 250lb. fullback sliding off a trap block in the hole and missed 2 play's and then played the rest of the game. I have no memory of the game, and wondered where I was ( buddies house, wouldn't let me drive home) when I woke. I watched the film of the game like a stranger.I still have no memory's that don't come from the game film to this day I've had worse collisions where my bell was ring and remember the whole thing.However, I do think Renzo was doing very little on the ground as someone previously stated, and I was not entertained much by this fight in general. Guys, I know temper's flare and people disagree, but no insults to each other. Thanks

Last edited 2/11/07 8:04AM server time by hippysmacker
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #51   2/11/07 7:52:52AM   

dstlvb

MMA Regular

dstlvb Avatar

Career:373-248
Chips:
Its amazing what people come up with. The first knee was right behind the ear, the second was to the base of the neck. Immediatly after the second Renzo reacted and started to roll off of Frank. Then Herb moved in. I think Herb should have moved in after the first knee and maybe fight could have continued. As far as Renzo faking, i can see that. This guy obviously has a tract record of shooting angles to try and win the fight. Give me a break. You watch this guy on TV and you know for a fact he was faking? As far as Frank goes wit hhis comments, i wish Glaver had asked him if maybe bringing bottles or chairs should be allowed because "He came to fight".

Post #52   2/11/07 10:02:28AM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
Frank was hitting Renzo in the back of the head all through the first round. Dean warned him. The first knee was a close call. The second knee caught Renzo in the back of the neck. A illegal shot. To say Renzo wasn't hurt is a joke. The guy is a true warrior.

Against Sak, Renzo had is elbow dislocated and didn't tap. If Renzo was acting, then Hollywood needs to get him. His eyes weren't focused. He looked a little in "La La Land." Great acting job Renzo.

No need to name call or get bent out of shape. At the end of the day, other then emtoions invested into a fight, we as fan, have nothing else involved. Chill people. Enjoy the fights. Our sport is blowing up.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #53   2/11/07 10:41:12AM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:
I don't like Gary Shaw. He doesn't seem to know anything about the sport and he seems to be a little slow, close to stupid.

If you watch sherdogs post-fight interview with Gina Carano, Gary is there and makes a fool out of himself with comments like "I'm gonna send her to a pro boxing camp so she gets her striking game down and learns how to feint a little".

First off, which promotor decides where it's fighters gonna train. Secondly the striking is the least of Caranos problems. It's the ground game she hasn't developed enough yet.
And the last point.... THIS ISN'T BOXING!!!!

Then after all this talk from him about the women getting the same chance to fight as men some guy asks him if he's going to keep Kedzie. He answers somethin like "I'm not the kind of promoter who cuts anybody just because he or she loses and Kedzie is cute and fought her heart out."

Yeah lets keep her because she's cute.....

Gary always seems to try to cover up his lack of knowledge for the sport by talking about all this abstract parts of the game like "the heart of the fighter", "fighting spirit" and "the will to fight". I want a guy who knows his shit in his position.

Post #54   2/11/07 11:26:52AM   

aceprone

Standup Guy

aceprone Avatar

Career:1,037-635
Camp: Slackers
Chips:
Not to change the subject a little bit, but my thought is still connected. I know commisioned rules in the US state that you can't knee or kick a downed opponent in the head. But an interesting twist to this shamrock incident what if those knees connected to the side of the head and not behind the head, would those strikes been legal? The reason why I'm saying this is because Shamrock was the downed opponent, not Renzo. Now I haven't read anywhere if a guy on the bottom (the "downed" opponent) can legally knee to the head. Anythoughts of info on this?

Post #55   2/11/07 3:19:59PM   

aceprone

Standup Guy

aceprone Avatar

Career:1,037-635
Camp: Slackers
Chips:
by the way here are commisioned rules on illegal strikes. Herb dean made the right call, argue or not, here are the rules.

Disqualification: a "warning" will be given when a fighter commits a foul or illegal action or does not follow the referee's instruction. Three warnings will result in a disqualification. Moreover, if a fighter is injured and unable to continue due to a deliberate illegal technique from his opponent, the opponent will be disqualified.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_martial_arts#Common_rules

Post #56   2/11/07 3:22:40PM   

Snacks

MMA Regular

Snacks Avatar

Career:25-13
Chips:

Posted by Manfred

Since I couldn't find the rules on Elite XC's website, I found this concerning Unified Rules of MMA which most states adhere to:

9. Striking to the spine or the back of the head. No direct striking attacks are allowed to the spine or the back of the head. A direct strike is an aimed and executed attack to the area. The back of the head is considered the direct center of thehead with 1’ inch of tolerance to either side.

Combine that with Frank's statement makes it a DQ, NOT A NC!:
"I know I was hitting him in the back of the head a little bit. I thought he was going to move his head so I wouldn't hit him there anymore"

Source

Props for knowing about the Unified rules. It seems not many people actually know these, which is unfortunate, as it seems to lead to arguements/discussions such as this.

Post #57   2/11/07 3:38:58PM   

Jeffanori-Gomi

Standup Guy

Career:34-26
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:

Mauro Renello's voice is so fake..it dont even fit him....and Goldberg only acts like he dont know whats up,i have noticed that he only acts like a noobie to the sport,but thats the way it works..goldberg only act,so he can bring up questions so he can educate the people watching

in other words...Goldberg asks the questions a noobie to the sport would ask if they were watching so they can learn

i have noticed M goldberg say alot of very educated statments of the sport and i would think to myself..."i thought this guy didnt know jack"!

thats the way it works buddy...so..

Mike G > Mauro R

Are u serious? i'll admit Goldberg has gotten a lot better but early in his career he was really bad, when Royce fought Shamrock way back he called the Royce armbar attempt an "elbow suplex"
Im a little biased to Mauro from his days with pride with Bas and IMO Bas and Mauro are much more entertaining than Goldberg and friends.

And as for Goldberg asking "questions a noobie to the sport would ask" so people can learn I dont think catering to the Lowest common denominator by asking retarded questions helps the sport out.

Post #58   2/11/07 10:23:20PM   

Snacks

MMA Regular

Snacks Avatar

Career:25-13
Chips:

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Mauro Renello's voice is so fake..it dont even fit him....and Goldberg only acts like he dont know whats up,i have noticed that he only acts like a noobie to the sport,but thats the way it works..goldberg only act,so he can bring up questions so he can educate the people watching

in other words...Goldberg asks the questions a noobie to the sport would ask if they were watching so they can learn

i have noticed M goldberg say alot of very educated statments of the sport and i would think to myself..."i thought this guy didnt know jack"!

thats the way it works buddy...so..

Mike G > Mauro R

Are u serious? i'll admit Goldberg has gotten a lot better but early in his career he was really bad, when Royce fought Shamrock way back he called the Royce armbar attempt an "elbow suplex"
Im a little biased to Mauro from his days with pride with Bas and IMO Bas and Mauro are much more entertaining than Goldberg and friends.

And as for Goldberg asking "questions a noobie to the sport would ask" so people can learn I dont think catering to the Lowest common denominator by asking retarded questions helps the sport out.

While I too someday dream of having a sport that only has elitist fans, to not want to educate new fans is such a horrible idea I don't even know where to begin.

Post #59   2/11/07 10:39:12PM   

Savy

MMA Regular

Savy Avatar

Career:61-50
Camp: Snatch As Snatch Can
Chips:

Posted by aceprone

Not to change the subject a little bit, but my thought is still connected. I know commisioned rules in the US state that you can't knee or kick a downed opponent in the head. But an interesting twist to this shamrock incident what if those knees connected to the side of the head and not behind the head, would those strikes been legal? The reason why I'm saying this is because Shamrock was the downed opponent, not Renzo. Now I haven't read anywhere if a guy on the bottom (the "downed" opponent) can legally knee to the head. Anythoughts of info on this?

Renzo was downed as well. A fighter becomes downed when any part of his body besides his two feet come in contact w/ the mat.
Because Renzo was a "downed fighter," Frank's knees to Renzos head were all 100% illegal techniques under the rules.
On top of that, some of those knees struck base of the skull/back of the neck/spine region. That is ALWAYS a big no no! I don't care what continent you fight on, no promotion allows strikes to the spine.
Frank got exactly what he deserved.
Thank God Renzo is OK.
I would understand if Renzo refuses to fight Frank again. There are many game fighters around who will play by the rules.

Post #60   2/11/07 10:48:24PM   

Page 4 of 7     1     2     3     4     5     6     7