Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Brock lesner Is

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Sheddy

MMA Regular

Sheddy Avatar

Career:95-42
Chips:

It is clear that if he would have been serious , he would have fought at least 3 or 4 fights in some low level league to see where he really is with his MMA skill and after that he would have try to go to the UFC.

Not neccessarily.
Nastula entered Pride and fought Nog right off the bat.
3 of his opponents are top 10 HW's.
He may have got beaten, but he wanted to go in and prove himself.
He looked very good in his last fight against Barnett.

Brock's an unknown entity in mma.
Mir, who is a very tough fight for Lesnar at this stage, has struggled recently, although he did look good in his last fight.
I'd say experience should carry Mir through, but this is a great test to see what Brock has.

Also, considering Mir's form, it'll be good to see what he offers against a huge wrestler.

Last edited 12/11/07 2:07AM server time by sheddy
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #31   12/11/07 2:05:55AM   

nippletits

Learning to Sprawl

nippletits Avatar

Career:203-148
Camp: The Bonus Hole
Chips:
I think Mir's cardio is what is going to win this fight. If he doesn't come ready to go the distance, Lesner may very well be able to win this fight. I don't see Mir being able to throw any submissions on someone that size.

Post #32   12/11/07 12:48:07PM   

allmotormark

MMA Regular

allmotormark Avatar

Career:1,035-549
Chips:
maybe the problem is that alot of people still like Mir and want to see him do well and people are not to happy with him looking like a "fall guy" for brock i think this discusion wouldn't be as heated if it were a lesser known fighter.

i think this fight will be a "LNP" for brock unless mir gets a sweet sub on him , this fight could drag on 3 rounds or could end as quick as that dorian price and roman fight at the tuf finale that would be sweet to see brock loose is 20 seconds to an ankle lock...

Post #33   12/11/07 1:04:00PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,590-1,480
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
just reading through this makes me wonder why people are so up or down on lesnar after just one fight. if nothing else it proves that the ufc did the right thing by signing him, whether he beats mir or not he is creating a big buzz. im expecting him to be a decent fighter, he has the great wrestling pedigree which goes a long way in the ufc, and is an incredible athlete for his size. the ufc isnt beating around the bush with him either, they threw him right into the fire because, lets face it, they dont know if they have a potential star, or a huge lemon on their hands with him and they want to find out as badly as all of us do. im taking lesnar by GnP early, but lets face it, no one knows for sure if hes the real deal and mir could end lesnars ufc run really quickly if he exposes him to be all hype.

Post #34   12/13/07 10:51:19AM   

gsquat

MMA Sensei

gsquat Avatar

Career:407-229
Chips:
In mma, strict wrestlers are hard to beat. I know I don't have to name the long list of top fighters in the UFC who are wrestlers. Massive, bulky guys are always the hardest to submit. eg.... TUF 5. Joe Lauzon would've won if Manny had a neck to choke. Mir's standup is definitely not his strong suit, so he'll have to rely on his jujitsu which, I obviously think, will be nullified. Not to mention Brock is a very accomplished wrestler. Sorry, but based on the matchup (because fights are all about matchups) I have Lesnar taking this one.

Post #35   12/13/07 11:03:56AM   

saemskin

BANNED

Career:75-70
Chips:
I saw the Lesner fight on youtube and I was and wasn't impressed. I mean, yeah he muscled the guy down and proceeded to smash his head in. Who taps from strikes? The guy is an animal, but has no experience and hasn't been tested.
Mir has tons of experience, but his last few fights were uninspiring. We all know what he's capable of.

I think this is going to be an interesting fight for both fighters and is really going to let us know where they stand. In the end I think that if Frank Mir really prepared for this fight, or any fight for that matter, he has the ability to win.

Post #36   12/13/07 10:07:02PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Lesnar had some serious steam on those punches, and Kim ate well over a dozen of them before he tapped. He clearly didn't know how to get out of the position and rather than having Lesnar pulp his face, he tapped. Nothing to be ashamed of, and it doesn't make you a lousy fighter to tap to strikes.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #37   12/13/07 11:26:42PM   

Pitbull09

MMA Sensei

Pitbull09 Avatar

Career:288-147
Chips:

Posted by saemskin

I saw the Lesner fight on youtube and I was and wasn't impressed. I mean, yeah he muscled the guy down and proceeded to smash his head in. Who taps from strikes? The guy is an animal, but has no experience and hasn't been tested.
Mir has tons of experience, but his last few fights were uninspiring. We all know what he's capable of.

I think this is going to be an interesting fight for both fighters and is really going to let us know where they stand. In the end I think that if Frank Mir really prepared for this fight, or any fight for that matter, he has the ability to win.

I dont see how people can really even judge his potential in the UFC since he fought a guy with a losing record.

Post #38   12/15/07 2:02:27AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Min Soo Kim has a losing record because he keeps fighting knock out artists. If K-1 stopped feeding him to the lions he might actually develop into a half-way decent fighter.

That being said, hes still a silver medal Olympic judoka, so while he might not be the stiffest test, he did bring some skills to the table. He just got his noggin pounded in before he had a chance to use them.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #39   12/15/07 3:03:31AM   

LesnarLover

banned

Career:14-8
Chips:
I really am getting tired of everyone talking like Brock Lesnar has no chance. I predict right now that this match will end in either a first round Knockout by Brock, or a first round Ring-Out by Brock. If he loses this match, I will happily quit my fight camp and leave this website in shame.

Posted by Pitbull09

Posted by Rush

It'll be interesting to see the "I told you so" thread after the Lesnar fight.

Regardless of the outcome it's going to happen.

Ha no doubt, I just hope I;m on the right band wagon

Pitbull, I am disappointed to say that you already are on the losing side.

Last edited 12/15/07 8:59PM server time by LesnarLover
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #40   12/15/07 8:53:40PM   

Tailgunner

MMA Regular

Tailgunner Avatar

Career:143-80
Chips:

Posted by LesnarLover

I really am getting tired of everyone talking like Brock Lesnar has no chance. I predict right now that this match will end in either a first round Knockout by Brock, or a first round Ring-Out by Brock. If he loses this match, I will happily quit my fight camp and leave this website in shame.

Lesnar definitely has a chance of winning but you need to remember that Mir is a former UFC world champion and a BJJ tactician who broke Tim Sylvias arm.

Lesnar is gonna have his hands full if Mir shows up in shape.

Post #41   12/15/07 10:32:16PM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3