Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Wanderlei Silva Interview

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

duggy

MMA Regular

duggy Avatar

Career:1,673-897
Chips:
Wanderlei sits down with with Gary Herman to touch on a few subjects including his upcoming bout with Chuck, thoughts on Fedor, and who he'd like to fight after Chuck.

link

Last edited 1/8/08 2:34PM server time by dothemmath
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   12/4/07 10:30:12PM   

TimW001

MMA Sensei

TimW001 Avatar

Career:724-436
Chips:
Cool thank you very much.

What do you think about Fedor Emelianenko’s choice not to fight in the UFC?

WS: He's Crazy

Last edited 12/5/07 12:18AM server time by TImW001
2 total post edits

Post #2   12/5/07 12:14:02AM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:1,961-999
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Q: That’s an interesting comment about how important the UFC belt is to you. What do you think about Fedor Emelianenko’s choice not to fight in the UFC?

WS: He’s crazy . I don’t know why the guy doesn’t want to fight here. These are the best events. This is the biggest promotion. The guy could be a symbol here. He could have money for the rest of his life. He could do well with the promotion, with sponsors, with commercials, and many other possibilities. Japan is a good market, but the US is different. The American fans love the fighters. Everyday, people come up to me in the street. He needs to come to the UFC.

but i desagree about having a direct shot with Rampage if he beat Liddell.

Last edited 12/5/07 12:32AM server time by tuvok500
4 total post edits

Post #3   12/5/07 12:28:06AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,497-1,576
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Even Wandy should need more than 1 win for a chance at UFC in the LHW div....it's just a ripoff to all the other guys in the division, if he beats Chuck then I say give him another fight (Machida if he wins?) before a title shot.

Post #4   12/5/07 12:49:58AM   

TimW001

MMA Sensei

TimW001 Avatar

Career:724-436
Chips:
A few fights in the LHW div should be

Forrest vs Thiago Sliva

Houston Alexander vs Tito

Wanderlei (After chuck) vs the winner of Machida and african assassin.

Jardine vs Rashad.

Last edited 12/5/07 12:57AM server time by TImW001

Post #5   12/5/07 12:55:33AM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
Wand's done enough in his career (including beating the reigning UFC champ twice) to warrant a title shot if he wins this fight...

Nog's getting a title fight after his first win... And so did Anderson Silva...

There are a lot of top competitors in the UFC's LHW div, but there's no clear cut #1 contender, IMO... The division needs to sort itself out (IMO, Jardine/Forrest II needs to happen, and who knows what with TSilva, Soko, Lyoto, etc), and in the meanwhile...

If Wand wins (I hope he does), and does so convincingly, why not give him a crack at the champ? It'd be a stretch, at best, for someone to say he's underqualified

Post #6   12/5/07 12:55:58AM   

tuvok500

tuvok500 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Wand's done enough in his career (including beating the reigning UFC champ twice) to warrant a title shot if he wins this fight...

Nog's getting a title fight after his first win... And so did Anderson Silva...

There are a lot of top competitors in the UFC's LHW div, but there's no clear cut #1 contender, IMO... The division needs to sort itself out (IMO, Jardine/Forrest II needs to happen, and who knows what with TSilva, Soko, Lyoto, etc), and in the meanwhile...

If Wand wins (I hope he does), and does so convincingly, why not give him a crack at the champ? It'd be a stretch, at best, for someone to say he's underqualified

The difference here is that Wandy is coming from 2 big KO in a row, not from some consecutive win !!

And i am sorry but i think that it was Shogun who was suppose to fight Rampage if he was winning against Forrest, but Forrest beated him so it should be Forrest against Rampage for the title.
same as GG who was suppose to lose against Crocop to setup a title fight between Couture and Crocop but GG won the fight and he did fight Couture at the place of Crocop.
if a fighter fight for a #1 contender spot, his opponent is suppose to fight for the same goal.

Post #7   12/5/07 1:13:25AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
If Rampage earned one by beating eastman for the simple fact that he beat chuck down then why shoulden't Wand?

Post #8   12/5/07 1:19:03AM   

tuvok500

tuvok500 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by cmill21

If Rampage earned one by beating eastman for the simple fact that he beat chuck down then why shoulden't Wand?

Because Jackson was having with his win against eastman 4 wins in a row !!
Not 2 lost by Ko and 1 win like Wandy can have after his next fight.

Chuck should not be qualify either if he win the fight.

At least 1 other win should be necessairy before a title shot.

Forrest have already 2 win in a row and the last one against probably the guy ( Shogun who was having 4 win in a row before his last defeat ) who was going to fight Rampage next, so they have to be fair here .

Last edited 12/5/07 1:30AM server time by tuvok500
2 total post edits

Post #9   12/5/07 1:27:08AM   

EpicTerran

MMA Regular

EpicTerran Avatar

Career:658-391
Camp: Wolfpack Crew
Chips:
good interview i like wanderleis attitude regarding the fighters throughout the whole thing

Post #10   12/5/07 1:29:32AM   

cloppio

treadin troden trails

cloppio Avatar

Career:506-363
Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

Because Jackson was having with his win against eastman 4 wins in a row !!
Not 2 lost by Ko and 1 win like Wandy can have after his next fight.

Chuck should not be qualify either if he win the fight.

At least 1 other win should be necessairy before a title shot.

Forrest have already 2 win in a row and the last one against probably the guy ( Shogun who was having 4 win in a row before his last defeat ) who was going to fight Rampage next, so they have to be fair here .

couldn't have said it better myself. there is no way they can leap frog forrest. he beat down maybe the best guy in the world right now. he should get the next shot at the belt

Last edited 12/5/07 2:05AM server time by cloppio

Post #11   12/5/07 1:57:02AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
So then Jardine should get the next fight? He did KO Forrest not to long ago. I think Forrest needs one more, most UFC casuals don't know Wand lost 2 in a row, if he beats chuck they show his two fights against page all most will know is that Wand beat Chuck and demolished page twice, easy to promote. Forrest and page is fine but I think Wand vs Rampage would be a much better fight to watch. Forrest has two wins but one of those was a poor performance against Hector Ramirez and the fight before that he was KO'd.

Post #12   12/5/07 2:03:54AM   

cloppio

treadin troden trails

cloppio Avatar

Career:506-363
Chips:
good point. we also need to look at the marketing side of it too. yeah wandy/jackson would be a big draw, but forrest is a huge fav. to many newer mma fans that hoped on with the tv show.....man, i'm glad i don't have to make those choices!

Post #13   12/5/07 2:08:12AM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
this is exactly the reason why rampage gets to take a nice long break between fights.. cause this division is a mess right now.

Forrest should have to fight jardine again.. they each have 1 big win.. but thats all either of them have.. no proven record against big names.. just one big win each.

Tito needs to fight shogun. This will either prove that shogun is back to the flurry of limbs and bjj that had him ranked so highly in the first place, or prove that a healed tito still have the ability to put his opponents on their back and make them wish they had given up the mount instead of the closed guard. If we're lucky, we'll get both

Soko needs to fight machida.. its gonna happen, but this matchup tells us whether or not soko is truly the overwhelming force that he seems to be, or it'll tell us that machida can win a decision over almost anyone.

Liddel needs to fight silva.. its gonna happen, but it will prove for liddel that he still has a fighter's spirit and the skills to fcuk shit up. For silva it will prove that despite comming off back to back losses, he's still as dangerous as ever.

Thiago silva needs to fight rashad evans.. well not really.. but it'll be a solid test for both of them, because neither is remotely close to a title shot right now. (i suggest putting this on the undercard)

Even after these 4 matches, you could make a case for 4 no1 contenders.. and since one of these fighters will have to fight for the belt.. i think it would make the most sense that the fighter who performs most dominantly. Whoever has the most impressive performance and most decisive win should get the shot.

OR......... LHW GRAND PRIX! It would suck that it wouldnt happen until some time in the spring.. but how sick would that be?

Post #14   12/5/07 2:12:06AM   

Blizzard

MMA Regular

Blizzard Avatar

Career:1,285-886
Camp: Mountain Top Fight Camp
Chips:
Good interview duggy.
Wand is a class act, I hope he gets the W over Chuck and then gets his shot at Page. Page got a shot at Chuck after one win in the UFC, so why not Wand.

Post #15   12/5/07 3:21:06AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2